The MoFo Personal Pictures Thread

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I'm working with Yoda to try to fix a site problem with some threads, and this thread is a known problem for the issue, but I needed someone to bump it so it showed up on the "New Posts'" page.

Is this person someone with an alternate account that's trying to pretend to be one of my alternate accounts?

Why no! I am not any alternate.

It's just me! The Duchess! In a dress!

I had no idea; I've been to a few Brazilian parties in the Boston area and they all had darker skin.
There are many pale white Brazilians. Fewer in proportion than Americans but it's a significant population (like 20 million or so).

I had no idea; I've been to a few Brazilian parties in the Boston area and they all had darker skin.

Yeah but the last Jubilee Party I went to in my neighbourhood was made up of solely Asians apart from me.

Italy and Germany were together in WWII, and South American took them. A lot of Jews who had money got the hell out of Germany in the late 30's as well.
No, most Italians and Germans went to South America at the same time they went to the US, in the 19th century and early 20th century. Immigration to the New World from Europe happened to ALL of the Americas, not only the English speaking countries.

There are quite a few white people in South America, overall the total white population in Latin America is not much smaller than the US's though most of them have darker eyes and hair because the proportion of people with dark eyes/hair is higher in southern Europe, where most South American whites are descendant from. However even in Portugal there are quite a few fair haired people and many light eyed ones. I am particularly of German, Portuguese and Italian descent. Like many others from my state, the population in my state is 11 million, 80% white but some with darker skin and some blacks too.

That's a typical highschool class from my region:

Brazil has more people of Italian descent than the US: "Today, over 17 million Americans claim Italian ancestry, third only to Brazil and Argentina, which have 31 million and 24 million people of Italian descent, respectively." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_American

There are some 5 million people of German descent in Brazil as well as 1 million of Japanese descent, being the largest Japanese community outside of Japan (not much given that very few Japanese emigrated).

My friend is in Argentina and he doesnt look Spanish at all (hispanic or from Spain).. he looks very much Italian ... however his skin is very pale and not so much of an light olive complexion.
While Americans associate Italians and Spanish being generally dark it's also true that there are many pale ones there. Northern Italians in fact have the same skin color on average as White Americans and Germans. In Brazil, Italians are associated with being pale skinned because most Brazilian whites are Italian such as my grandmother.

Yeah but the last Jubilee Party I went to in my neighbourhood was made up of solely Asians apart from me.
I went to a Brazilian party in the US and half of the people there were Brazilian, I could tell just by their "style", it's true that most Brazilians living in the US are darker but that's because migration to the US from Brazil happens usually in the central and northern Brazilian states whose population is darker than in Southern Brazil, which is the region I came from.

In Rio de Janeiro, for instance, people are much darker on average than in the South and many central states, this is a high school class from Rio, compare to the one I posted before:

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
While Americans associate Italians and Spanish being generally dark it's also true that there are many pale ones there. Northern Italians in fact have the same skin color on average as White Americans and Germans. In Brazil, Italians are associated with being pale skinned because most Brazilian whites are Italian such as my grandmother.
Northern Italians are lighter because of the climate, sun, etc.. From friends who visit Italy say that even the culture is much different, that the southern part is more conservative, while the northern part is more liberal.

And to an earlier thread, immigration was abundant before World War II, but countries like Brazil and Argentina allowed an influx of immigrants leaving persecution or prosecution as well. My Brazilian friend said that there was a lot of money to be made (legal and not) for the immigrants.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Hey, is that comedian Billy Connolly doing one of his zany bits?

Didn't the women get to rest too? Those packs look heavy!
The women (and us) had a lot more stuff to carry as you can see by our picnic area... We didn't even use tents! We didn't want to bring attention, and it wouldn't be very backpacker friendly to have my friend in a tent while the rest of us were exposed.

We did take quite a few breaks, especially when we had to use our hands, paying for food, etc etc.. Some of the greatest times of my life.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I went to a Brazilian party in the US and half of the people there were Brazilian, I could tell just by their "style", it's true that most Brazilians living in the US are darker but that's because migration to the US from Brazil happens usually in the central and northern Brazilian states whose population is darker than in Southern Brazil, which is the region I came from.

In Rio de Janeiro, for instance, people are much darker on average than in the South and many central states, this is a high school class from Rio, compare to the one I posted before:
Ahhh, brasileiras.... Você é um sortudo cara!

Northern Italians are lighter because of the climate, sun, etc.
Also I think there were migrations from the middle east into Italy as Southern Italy was under arab control in the middle ages, same applies to Spain.

And to an earlier thread, immigration was abundant before World War II, but countries like Brazil and Argentina allowed an influx of immigrants leaving persecution or prosecution as well. My Brazilian friend said that there was a lot of money to be made (legal and not) for the immigrants.
Still the overall demographic impact of that was very limited. Among my family, of the families of my four grandfathers and grandmothers, everybody came in the 19th century in South America. I have, however, one of my grandmother's sister married an Italian who came to Brazil in 1950. There was some migration but most was earlier than 1945.

No, I know some Italians are not "dark" but more of an olive complexion (whether light olive or dark olive).. my daughter's father is that way..... my Argentine friend is almost as white as I am... and Im fair skinned, blonde haired and blue/grey eyed.....

My ancestry is mainly English, Norman English, Dutch and German, with some Scottish and American Indian mixed in. My father looked like an American Indian with sky blue eyes. I took my features from my mother who as the English, Norman English and Dutch.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Moreninhas! Q bom que é ouvir o som do Portugues no forum. Vc eh espanhol neh? Nao falo quase nada de espanhol.
Não, sou Português mesmo!