Does Anybody Else Hate Robin Williams?

Tools    

Is this a troll?
Yes. This place is nothing but trolls now. Might as well be called Troll Forums.

The Sexy Celebrity All Star Troll forums I think is what you mean to say.

Well now that i think about it I liked Mrs. Doubtfire, it was really really funny, but I don't think you can define it a good movie. it was a comedy like millions of other.
I saw what dreams may come: just awful. For the time it was really well made, I think it won an Oscar for special effects, but the plot nonsense, and (which is strange) also predictable. All the acting was mediocre, and in that mediocrity the only decent acting was probably Robin s.
One hour photo: good idea, bad realisation. The movie was awful. Boring. The finale was disappointing. The values of family and faithfulness etc. Etc. are brought in the movie with superficiality. It was a movie about a psycho seasoned with moral values expressed in the way you teach them to a 5 years old.
Good morning vietnam: it talks about the war in Vietnam and yet it s as light and shallow as Mrs. DoubtfIre. Nothing expresses the tragedy of that period. It makes you laugh. It s like Life is beautiful by Benigni (masterpiece) except without the depth and the pathos. I found it disrespectful.

You re right when you see his face you feel good. Too good. Even when you see the Teletubbies you feel good, but that doesn't make them worth watching when you re older than 6. His movies are shallow and pretentious.

Anyway that s only my opinion which I may be willing to change. I know he s dead and I m really sorry, no one deserves that. He had a difficult life. He probably is a good actor in some way or he wouldn't have arrived where he is now. But in my personal opinion his movies are still terrible.

Master of My Domain
From what I see you dislike Robin William's films, not Robin Williams himself. Then why create a thread with a misleading title in the first place?

The Sexy Celebrity All Star Troll forums I think is what you mean to say.
Yes.

Somebody hates Robin Williams?
Oh, hello. I remember you. Vaguely.

The title's a little provocative, but he clarified what he meant immediately at the start of the post, so I don't think it's particularly disingenuous or misleading.

I hate that Robin Williams committed suicide. Not because it's sad, but because I think he did the world a disservice by doing it. And not because it means he's no longer in the world.... I hate that he did it because it makes things look hopeless in a way. If someone like Robin Williams, who is supposed to be so happy and joyous and cheerful, can kill himself, what hope do the rest of us have?
It's not unusual for creative types to suffer from depression.
Akira kurosawa tried to kill himself once.

Also if you check out the french film "Children of Paradise" there is a great old joke about this sort of thing.

Amazingly it's not in the IMDB quotes or on youtube, I just looked.

So I will have to paraphrase

Patient: I am so depressed I want to die
Dr: I know just the thing to cheer you up! Baptiste is performing tonight, he brings joy to everyone that see's him
Patient: But dr… I am Baptiste

Welcome to the human race...
It's not unusual for creative types to suffer from depression.
Akira kurosawa tried to kill himself once.

Also if you check out the french film "Children of Paradise" there is a great old joke about this sort of thing.

Amazingly it's not in the IMDB quotes or on youtube, I just looked.

So I will have to paraphrase

Patient: I am so depressed I want to die
Dr: I know just the thing to cheer you up! Baptiste is performing tonight, he brings joy to everyone that see's him
Patient: But dr… I am Baptiste
That sounds like the "I am Pagliacci" line from Watchmen to me.

That sounds like the "I am Pagliacci" line from Watchmen to me.
I don't profess to be an expert here, but I'm pretty sure the 1945 film I'm talking about predates watchmen.

Welcome to the human race...
I don't profess to be an expert here, but I'm pretty sure the 1945 film I'm talking about predates watchmen.
I must have gotten it mixed up with a different movie. Watchmen still seems a pertinent example considering how Williams was once considered for the role of Rorschach.

Yep the Baptiste lines are just the same as the Pagliacci lines in Watchmen. I love that movie, maybe it s a quote made on purpose or it s just a famous joke that predates both movies. Williams was really considered for the role of Rorschach? Who knows maybe if he ended up doing Rorschach I would have liked his acting and one of his movies for the first time... or maybe he would have ruined for me the whole movie...

Not all comedies are crap, absolutely, but not necessarily a comedy that makes you laugh is a good movie. I laughed at Scary Movie 1 to 4, but that doesn't make them good movies (eespecially the last 2)

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
I vehemently disagree. Robin William was a remarkably gifted, versatile and accomplished genius. Perhaps nostalgia is slightly clouding my evaluation (and his tragic passing many months back), but he's given us a handful of truly unforgettable roles and performances. His ability to go from spontaneous, impulsive slapstick comedy to restrained and effortless drama is simply admirable.

It's hard to believe that the same actor who dressed up as a woman in Mrs. Doubtfire depicted a dejected, isolated and socially inept introvert in One Hour Photo. Or how an eccentric and dynamic radio presenter in Good Morning, Vietnam went to an sensitive and careful intellectual in Dead Poets Society. Or how a bubbly and hilarious doctor in Patch Adams went to an understated and attentive professor in Good Will Hunting. Or how a vivacious and buoyant 'traveler' in Jumanji went to a reserved and quiet gentlemen in Awakenings. Or how a lively and dexterous Russian immigrant in Moscow on the Hudson went to a depressed and emotionally downcast father in World's Greatest Dad. Or how a boy with a rare ageing disorder in Jack went to a withdrawn and puzzling villain in Insomnia. The sheer diversity he's exhibited in his roles has impressed me greatly.

I mean, I just look at something like Terry Gilliam's masterwork, The Fisher King, and see that Williams could pull of the spontaneity and insanity of his comedy just as much as he could the sentimentality and restrained beauty of his drama, in the same film, almost simultaneously. Williams could take even the most empty and poorly written of scripts and still dish up something impressive. He has always been a favourite of mine, and I will continue to cherish his remarkable performances and films. He was not only a comedic genius, but an accomplished talent when it came to real human drama. He had a special understanding of the human condition. Add to the fact that he just seemed to be a beautiful, kind, compassionate, sensitive soul is all the more reason to appreciate his art. I mean, he essentially paid for Christopher Reeve's rehab after his accident, and would ring up Steven Spielberg everyday during principal photography of Schindler's List to cheer him up and make him laugh because of the subject matter Spielberg was dealing with. I admire him greatly, so yes, I could not disagree more.

I must say that although I love Robin Williams, his acting range didn't appear all over the place to me. Mrs. Doubtfire and One Hour Photo are not all that different when you think about it. In fact, you could argue that Mrs. Doubtfire is actually the scarier of the two -- in One Hour Photo, yes, he became extremely obsessed with a family due to seeing their lives unfold in the pictures he would develop for them. He posted copies of their photos all over his walls. He followed them around in his car. Very creepy.

But Mrs. Doubtfire! This is a movie about a man who gets his gay brother to create a latex mask and a full disguise so he can pretend to be a female caretaker for his children -- in front of them, everyday, without any of them realizing it's their father in drag who is riding a bicycle in the San Francisco park with them.

How would you like to discover your British nanny is actually your father? The One Hour Photo Robin Williams seems just a bit saner if you think about it.

And from what I saw of The Fisher King (I turned it off because it was so damn boring -- but what can you expect from a Jeff Bridges film?) -- that was just typical Robin Williams, this time as a crazy homeless man.

He could be quiet, but I think there was always something comical and weird and strange about him. Even in Good Will Hunting, I can sense the comical Robin Williams there.

Robin Williams was like a troll. He could appear different, yet he really wasn't. He could drop a bomb on you, yet the bomb still had the "Made by Robin Williams" stamp on it. I feel his suicide was the same kind of thing. It was another bomb dropped on us, yet it had that dark "Made by Robin Williams" stamp there, too. I once said Robin Williams was probably joking with us/having the last laugh by killing himself. He was trolling us, in a way. I called his suicide "interesting" in this thread earlier. It was a fitting way for him to go, I think, though we didn't expect it. It had that quality of... this is something you'd never expect Robin Williams to do, like when he acts real serious in movies. Yet at the same time, there's this absurdity to it. That absurdity is the dark humor, which is something I think he specialized in. It's why he could be serious at times, because dark humor is serious.

I love Robin Williams and most of his work. ^^^^^Matteo pretty much nailed it.

I used to like Robin Williams until I seen "One Hour Photo"... since then.. I could care less seeing any of his films.
That sounds like you actually did like some of his movies, but once you watched One Hour Photo, and did not like it, you no longer liked anything else he was in. That, and you never watched anything new of his. Is that what you are saying? If so, that is very strange. All actors and actresses make at least one crappy movie in their career. If you do this with all of them, you will eventually run out of movies to watch, don't you think? If you don't do this with all of them, then why did you choose to do so with Robin Williams?