What will the state of films be 20 years from now?

Tools    

I've had Spam. Not much of it, but I tried it. It wasn't that bad at the time. Salty. Kinda like a big block of tuna fish with a ham flavor.

Nothing beats a pink slab of mechanically separated chicken.

In all honesty, I grew up eating spam. It was one of those meals we'd have when my mom didn't have a ton of time to spend on dinner. I still eat it from to time to time. It's not bad if cooked in the frying pan and if you squeeze as much of the grease out as possible.

I ate it raw out of the can. I might have ate it fried -- don't really remember, but I probably did.

Hadn't eaten spam for years and then tried some again.

Just tastes like salt.

My Dad eats it all the time.
But then again, he eats processed crap all the time, and he's had numerous heart attacks and a triple bypass.

Now the question... do I report this as Spam?
No, you eat it.
I missed this part earlier... SHE CAN'T EAT IT!!! I've put her on the Sexy Diet.

In twenty years movies will just be downloaded directly to the microchip implanted in all of our brains.
The only person in this thread using their brain...

Well, SC is using his, but he just jumped off this post.

I don't think the microchip implant is going to happen in the next 1000 years or something.

We're not even remotely close at this moment.
What?!

We already use deep brain implants to treat things like Parkinson's Disease and we're making progress on how the brain works every day. Fun article about implants.

And it's not just about what we learn about the brain, as technology itself gets smaller and cheaper this evolution will change dramatically. As that article says, by the end of the century every single technology we have right now will be antiquated and completely obsolete. I think they're being generous on the time line. Tech changes exponentially. Our current tech could be obsolete far sooner than that.

Spam

I actually haven't thought much about this before, but it is important and a bit discouraging. I'm sure that, as others have said, streaming and other such services will continue to rule more and more. I feel like the film industry is also becoming more and more anti-indie. Even as evidenced by the last [insert number] years, it's a case of the rich getting richer.

The trends that are growing right now will get bigger and bigger, but I don't think the old kind of cinema or independent cinema will ever die completely. I feel like the truly great filmmakers of the world are stubborn enough to keep putting out quality material.

Well, SC is using his, but he just jumped off this post.
Ahem! I went even deeper into it than Kaplan did.

probably nothing much will change I expect superheroes will still be a hot money grabber spiderman. batman. superman. avengers & x-men will most likely still be competing against sequels of transformers. expendables. paranormal activity and fast & furious

new remakes will consist of -

Look whos talking

Great Outdoors

Exorcist

Jaws

Back to the future

Bonanza

M*A*S*H*

Prince Of Darkness

Smokey & The Bandit

The Graduate

Young Guns

Tombstone

Nightmare on elm street. Carrie. Halloween. Friday The 13th. The Omen. Karate kid. & Stagecoach all will get another round of remakes

films that will finally get live adaptations

Little Mermaid
Aladdin
Black Cauldron
Sword & The Stone

Eventually I also expect DVDs and CD based movies (and music and video games) to be a thing of the past in order to combat piracy; eventually the only medium will be direct download or streaming from the company's website, or 3rd party sites like Netflix.

Kind of relevant: A few of my housemates were watching the first Harry Potter film a few weeks ago when one of them says "I hope they remake this in about 50 years time", I was confused and asked why, "to introduce it to a new audience, they're great films, but kids aren't going to want to watch a film that's 50 years old, they should update it in 3D and that, that would be cool". Sigh.

My prediction is that they're gonna try to capitalize on streaming and do some mega-premium service where, for a pretty hefty sum, you can be able to stream films that just got released theatrically.
This exists! You can get movies only in theaters streamed to your house. It's called "Prima Cinema". For $35,000 you can get their system installed in your home and then you pay $500 per movie.

This exists! You can get movies only in theaters streamed to your house. It's called "Prima Cinema". For $35,000 you can get their system installed in your home and then you pay $500 per movie.
Interesting! Seeing that I kinda understand that it exists for really rich people. $35,000 with $500 for each movie can't be afforded by average streamers, I know I said a hefty sum but not that hefty!

I think a more accessible way would be like $150 on your streaming service and you can only watch it once, and you can also do a special package where you can watch it up to 3 times for like $300. Or get 3 different films for $400 or something like that.

1) Hollywood movies will be all computer animated films with digital actors substituting real ones. Many former actors will be unemployed drug addicts as result.

2) All movies will be made entirely by automated computer software: Movie scrips will be not written but generated by software, the three main scrip softwares will be: iScript, GoogleScript and Script Galaxy. Entire films will be generated/rendered by a single supercomputer working in a dark room so that all people employed in film industry will be the maintenance workers of these film supercomputers and the programmers of film software.

3) To maximize film entertainment value while minimizing costs of producing new scrips all movies will be sequels.

4) The Oscars awards will be decided by lottery weighted by the movie's box office revenues. Most film's box office revenues will come from advertising on streaming websites.

What?!

We already use deep brain implants to treat things like Parkinson's Disease and we're making progress on how the brain works every day. Fun article about implants.

And it's not just about what we learn about the brain, as technology itself gets smaller and cheaper this evolution will change dramatically. As that article says, by the end of the century every single technology we have right now will be antiquated and completely obsolete. I think they're being generous on the time line. Tech changes exponentially. Our current tech could be obsolete far sooner than that.
There's a very big difference between stimulating a few areas in the brain through an implant to cure a disease that's fairly easy to trace neurologically and actually downloading complicated software directly to our brain through a microchip. It's kind of ridiculous to even suggest that this kind of technology will already be available to us in 20 years, in my opinion.