Your favorite film at 18 years old?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
E.T. was my favorite film as a pre-teen - I haven't seen it in many years, though I'd liked to, I think I still have the VHS.

Another question: How did those favorites of yours at 18 come to be? Luck? Another influence? This forum?

1997.... Top three in order
1. Starship troopers
2. Good will hunting
3. The fifth element

Memento. And it still is.

Another question: How did those favorites of yours at 18 come to be? Luck? Another influence? This forum?
I'd gotten into The Doors when I was 17. I just went out and found/bought anything and everything I could afford about them and Morrison, so when the film came it, it became an instant favourite. I still have my VHS limited edition copy with the trailer before the film.

NOES had been a favourite since I was 12. It's possible that Dream Warriors had taken it's place a few times, but it always returned.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I got into The Doors in middle school, and now they're my 3rd favorite... Love Jim, but also think John's drumming put them in a different class. Bossanova and Latin beats, along with his jazzy style, how he accentuated the band, played complementary to the mood and the lyrics. Robby wrote quite a lot, great flamenco, middle, and eastern influences (wish he would have done more of it), and Ray was a guy who added stuff (didn't write) but made it sound better.

I didn't like the movie, though. It's very inaccurate, makes Morrison like a buffoon. But that's Oliver Stone, he rewrites history in a lot of his films.

All The Doors had to be there for them to be so great. Without the band, Morrison just doesn't work and he knew that, which was why he always gave them so much credit, both in terms of songwriting and with journalists and the media.

I disagree about the film making Morrison look like a buffoon, though I know many people (including Ray) thought so. It's definitely inaccurate, another problem Ray had with it, but not in any way which really bothers me as a fan.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
It's possible that Dream Warriors had taken it's place a few times, but it always returned.
As in wizard in a wheelchair, Dream Warriors?

My two favorite films of all time (Fight Club and The Matrix), were released around the time I got out of high school. At that time they represented freedom and potential. I walked out of the theater thinking I could do anything... That wasn't when I was 18, but it was around then.

A system of cells interlinked
That's a while back...so I will just have to kind of guess. It was not Blade Runner though, I know that. I'd like to say it was Star Trek II : The Wrath of Kahn or something like that. I wasn't into Cinema back then like I am now, so I would just sort of watch flicks and then move on, save a few sci-fi that I would beat into the ground.

That was 1988, for me.

My favorite movies from that year, at that time, would have been Die Hard, Midnight Run, A Fish Called Wanda, and Biloxi Blues. But what would have I considered my absolute favorite film at that time?

I definitely would have been over Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Raiders of the Lost Ark enough that, though forever beloved, I wouldn't instantly name them as my favorites like I would have when I was seven or eleven. Blade Runner would definitely have been in the mix, though as I recall I started really geeking out on it at about nineteen, and became very obsessive, watching it for days in a row at a time. But I know that was my second year of college, when I was nineteen. I was really starting to devour older movies, by then, so Casablanca, The Big Sleep, The Maltese Falcon, His Girl Friday, North by Northwest, and Singin' in the Rain would have been near the top. Chinatown would be in the mix already, but probably not a clear number one, yet. Lawrence of Arabia really shot to the top in 1989, when it was re-released theatrically and I saw the restored version in 70mm a handful of glorious times.

I don't have a clear memory of having had A favorite movie then, rather it would have been a list of thirty or forty, including Ghostbusters, Raising Arizona, The Princess Bride, Broadcast News, Fletch, After Hours, Brazil, Time Bandits, Arthur, Airplane!, Young Frankenstein, Breaking Away, The Good, the Bad & the Ugly, The Three Musketeers (1974), The Professionals, and on and on. But for the sake of having an answer, I'll say maybe it was...

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was a favorite since I was seven or eight, but it's the kind of favorite that my love and appreciation for was only deepening as I got older and saw more and more movies. As much as I loved it when I was eight and ten, at eighteen even more so. It is so cool and funny and smart and exciting and Redford and Newman are amazing and I was madly in love with Katharine Ross and I was starting to really appreciate all of the aspects of filmmaking. I think it was eighteen, or therabouts, that I first checked out William Goldman's book Adventures in the Screen Trade, and I found the published script of Butch & Sundance afterward. So I wouldn't say I was studying the film, exactly, but it was one of the first that I really began to dissect, which made me appreciate it all the more.

I remember having a copy I taped off of HBO or someplace that I watched and watched until the tape quite literally wore out. A few years later it was among the first ten or so LaserDiscs I ever bought.

So though I kept no journal and I can't say so definitively, I'm gonna go with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Thanks for asking.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra