Worst Film in the AFI Top 100

Tools    

What's everyone's problem with Easy Rider then?
For me it comes down to its just hanging out with people I don't want to hang with. I know "boring" is not constructive criticism, but I think all film fans can agree, some movies just are to the individual because they don't appeal to your sensibilities. The two main characters are just not doing anything for me so I never care about their journey, and that is quite literally all Easy Rider is, a journey.

I will admit when Nicholson shows up things get interesting for a bit. That is the only reason why I didn't give the movie the lowest score possible. I was just so disappointed. This is considered an all time great. I am sure everyone has those couple of classic movies that they go into with super high expectations and then there is zilch there for them. That was Easy Rider for me.

Also, Rocky, Snow White, and Star Wars. I don't even know why they're even on the list. Aside from their so-called "revolutionary" techniques in filmmaking, like being the first animated feature, or having some of the best special and sound effects, they just don't seem like very impressive stories to me, and shouldn't be that high on the list....
Snow White - seriously? If you're dismissing it cos of it's place in history for being the first full length cel animated feature film, you can't dismiss the story for being unimpressive surely? It's a charming childrens story with a really scary witch !

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The worst I would say is "Star Wars" -- it shouldn't be on the list, but it's listen in the top 15 I think.

Schindler's List is rated way too high... I saw it years ago, it was entertaining, but not #9..

I love John Huston, I love Bogart, but I don't like Hepburn.. I think the story is very bland, nothing going on really..

I think Bonnie and Clyde is very overrated.. I'm really tired of terms like "New Wave" or "New Hollywood" -- I don't think "The Graduate" deserved a top 10 either.

And E.T. being rated ahead of Godfather II... I think the AFI purposely put guys who are still making films, since there's still something to get out of them. The AFI has no use for dead people, and if you look at the years of all the films, they are all old, and want to look objective by throwing a "Titanic" and others here, even though they don't weigh with others.

The 10th anniversary is worse. The Sixth Sense.. give me a break. After "The Usual Suspects" (a film I like), everyone started coming out with these "twist" movies... I hate when the audience is looked down upon, condescending mofos

'worse' can only be from a personal viewpoint so going on that if I had to nominate my least favourite of all 100 films it'd have to be the Sound of Music. Yes I know it's got some great songs, but it makes my teeth ache.

I'm ambivalent about Easy Rider. I've only seen it once a few years ago, if I was to watch it again I might change my mind. For years I had heard how amazing the film was. When I watched it I was disappointed that it was, IMO just an average movie...I had expected so much more.

I'm going to blame my reaction on 'raised expectations'. No film can outshine the vivid human imagination. I had envisioned Easy Rider on a pedestal so high that it couldn't be reached.

I'll venture a guess and say those who really love Easy Rider, identify with the two characters and their easy going, free wheeling life style. But for me there wasn't a strong cohesive story. In that regard Easy Rider reminds me of MASH.

Lord High Filmquisitor
I'll venture a guess and say those who really love Easy Rider, identify with the two characters and their easy going, free wheeling life style. But for me there wasn't a strong cohesive story. In that regard Easy Rider reminds me of MASH.
I absolutely loved Easy Rider and absolutely could not identify with their lifestyle changes less. For me, it was an amazing series of moments realized by an amazing group of actors with a dour, cynical ending (which definitely appealed to my sensibilities). It might have helped that, unlike you, I knew absolutely nothing about the film prior to seeing it. I just sat back, relaxed and was blown away with the experience.

Arcanis have you ever seen Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry? It has some similarties to Easy Rider including an unexpected ending. I expected nothing out of Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry as I though it would be just silly. But I liked many elements of the film. Not great but not bad.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Arcanis have you ever seen Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry? It has some similarties to Easy Rider including an unexpected ending. I expected nothing out of Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry as I though it would be just silly. But I liked many elements of the film. Not great but not bad.
I have not. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

While I do enjoy te film, I never understood The Wizard of Oz's ravenous appeal.
Agreed on this - I'm not a film expert but I'm gonna go on a limb and assume the Wizard of Oz did something very new and original for its day and age.

IMO I think that a big trend when it comes to "Best of" lists is rating a movie high due to it's originality or alleged influence on cinema, rather than it's stand-alone quality.

I'm not that big on rating films this way because some films may have been fresh for their day and age, but didn't age as well as others (I think if the Wizard of Oz was released to day, it'd be a fairly standard kid's movie considered about the same as many Disney/Pixar flicks, but wouldn't be being hailed as the best thing ever).

I've only watched the most recent and oldest films on the list (about 35/100), as I'm only in the '40s of my http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=36034, but I do have some thoughts.

Snow White and King Kong may "deserve" a place as influential and ground-breaking movies, but neither are good to watch. Basically everything about them sucks (acting, pacing, script, story, cinematography, and you can see this even comparing them to other films of that time) apart from the innovative animation features in each.

The Philadelphia Story is good, but there is not enough to put it above The Lady Eve, Pygmalion, His Girl Friday, and other similar rom-coms of the time, and in fact it's script is less witty than any of those and is even quite boring at times. It does have a larger cast which makes for interesting relationships, and the story is less ridiculous, but overall not as entertaining.

Intolerance. Not as good as The Birth of a Nation. Actually, both films were great, but I feel Birth was left out for moral reasons. Zero surprise when I looked up the original 100 to find Intolerance missing, so it was clearly thrown in as a more politically correct alternative to Birth, which was removed. I think there is a reason that until now it was Birth given the honours. Still not too upset. Birth is more coherent and ground-breaking, but Intolerance is more ambitious and impressive.

Duck Soup. The Marx Brothers just aren't funny. In fairness, this is their least terrible one I have seen, way better than A Night at the Opera... which is also there! The only scene I remember from that one is Chico playing the harp on the boat. I think everything on either side of that scene was dire.

Bringing Up Baby. Very mediocre. Other, earlier screwball comedies such as The Thin Man, My Man Godfrey and The Awful Truth did far more for me. No idea what Bringing Up Baby did that was special, except star two high profile actors.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Kubrick is one of my favorite directors, and I tried watching it last year and couldn't finish it, well, person I was with wasn't feeling it, and I was feeling the same. I really, really want to watch it now. I saw it in its entirety 14 years ago, and only remember the first half.

A system of cells interlinked
Sorry Gideon - you are banned for life for blasphemy!

I suggest reading the book before watching 2001. That's what I did and so I liked the movie...But if I hadn't known what the movie was about beforehand, I probably would have hated it

I suggest reading the book before watching 2001. That's what I did and so I liked the movie...But if I hadn't known what the movie was about beforehand, I probably would have hated it
Yeah that's want I want to do so I can make up for watching several movies before reading the novel like the Shining or the LOTR Trilogy. (Still haven't read those novels yet. I will definitely do LOTR after I watch Hobbit 3.)

Do the Right Thing. Good movie but not top 100 worthy IMHO.

I'm ambivalent about Easy Rider. I've only seen it once a few years ago, if I was to watch it again I might change my mind. For years I had heard how amazing the film was. When I watched it I was disappointed that it was, IMO just an average movie...I had expected so much more.

I'm going to blame my reaction on 'raised expectations'. No film can outshine the vivid human imagination. I had envisioned Easy Rider on a pedestal so high that it couldn't be reached.

Totally agree regarding Easy Rider...it was an OK movie, nothing more, nothing less...Nicholson was awesome though.