2014 Mofo Film Award - Nominations

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Update: Reminder, to get those nominations in folks!!!

Suspect's Reviews

Update: Reminder, to get those nominations in folks!!!
Did we decide the end of February Suspect? Also, are we going by the Oscar list?

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I'm going to try to see enough movies to make it worthwhile for me to participate. So far
Dawn of The Planet of the Apes; How To Train Your Dragon 2, Sin City: A Dame To Kill For; X-Men and The Rover are all I have to choose from.

Ladies and gentlemen, now that the Oscar nominations are revealed, I say we show them how it is really done with our very own Mofo Film Awards. Let's get some real nominees going, am I right?

Ladies and gentlemen, now that the Oscar nominations are revealed, I say we show them how it is really done with our very own Mofo Film Awards. Let's get some real nominees going, am I right?
Can't wait.

I'm definitely planning on sending some nominations in. I've seen a couple more 2014 movies, but still want to see 6 or 7 more before sending anything in.

I just have to remember not to forget about this.

Lord High Filmquisitor
After this week I will have seen all of the best picture nominees (Whiplash tonight, The Theory of Everything tomorrow and Boyhood at some yet to be determined date). That should give me a great base (when paired with what else I've seen) to consider some nominations.

I will be participating for sure. I want to try and see Imitation Game, The Drop, Force Majeure, an Leviathan before sending in my noms.

Best film of the year for me was

Edge of Tomorrow
Make sure to send in your nominations then!!!!

Also, another list has arrived!!!!

Interesting mix of films that's for sure.

While I don't have the exact numbers from Sparkle, here is a recap of last year's winners!!

With 4 award wins, Gravity was the big winner of the night, taking home:

Best Picture of the Year
Best Score
Best Visual Effects
Best Director - Alfonso Cuaron

American Hustle managed to snag 4 wins as well, but not all the wins were "good" awards*. It ended up taking home:

Most Overrated Film of the Year*
Best Cast of the Year
Best Supporting Actress of the Year - Jennifer Lawrence
Best Actress of the Year - Amy Adams (tied)

Her took home 2 - Best Screenplay of the Year & Best Poster of the Year.

Wolf of Wall Street took home 2 as well - Best Trailer and Leo taking home Best Actor of the Year.

Man of Steel won Biggest Disappointment and A Good Day To Die Hard ended up taking home Worst Film of the Year.

Chiwetel Ejiofor and Michael Fassbender took home acting awards for 12 Years A Slave - Best Breakthrough Performance and Best Supporting Actor of the Year. Although Fassbender tied with Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club

As for the rest:

Best Animated Film - Frozen
Biggest Surprise of the Year - Spring Breakers
Worst Poster of the Year - A Haunted House
Best Actress - Cate Blanchett - Blue Jasmine (Tied with Amy Adams)

While some were a bit predictable (Gravity), it was nice to see some love given to those ignored by the Oscars (DiCaprio) and films that would normally never be nominated (Spring Breakers)

Looking forward to the nominations this year!!!

I want to see Gone Girl, Birdman and Inherent Vice before the deadline. Anyone have any recommendations of what I should watch?

This is what I've seen so far:

Loved

Guardians of the Galaxy
The Rover
Dawn of the Planets of the Apes

Really Liked

How To Train Your Dragon 2

Liked

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For
Noah
X Men: Days of Future Past

Severely Flawed but not quite bad

A Most Wanted Man

Bad

Snowpiercer

Horrible

I, Frankenstein
Transcendence
22 Jump Street

Yeah, that's one I'm thinking of. I'm being fairly picky because I know between finishing up the HoFs and letting others pick the movies sometimes, I won't get to watch too many more 2014 movies so I want to see what everyone else liked a lot.