Anyone else had enough of superhero films?

Tools    

I'm not against movies making profits. I'm just against the idea that huge profitable movies that are average for me are monopolizing the market.

Please don't ignore my whole point.

I'm not against movies making profits. I'm just against the idea that huge profitable movies that are average for me are monopolizing the market.

Please don't ignore my whole point.
IDK what your whole point was? Not trying to ignore it. I wish average movies didn't monopolize the market either - but consider the very definition of average and I think there is no way around it.

My point was that profit will always drive the market, it's a business and you cannot make passion projects on your own unless your a millionaire intent on becoming broke. Or unless it's ultra low budget with bad acting and no one will ever hear of it because you can't afford the marketing.

I had similar opinions as you on captain america 2. As far as Days of future past, it was a good popcorn movie for me. Although the idea that we could have sent flying, fully autonomous robots into vietnam was absolutely ridiculous and I don't see why they felt the need to go full retard.

But actually they don't bring something new and they are monopolizing the industry.
I hear this a lot but don't find it to be true in the slightest. Count the amount of "smaller" films that will be coming out between now and the rest of the year and the amount of "blockbusters" that came out in the summer. I bet the smaller budget stuff crushes the bigger budget, probably even in the summer months. I stand by my claim that plenty of both are being made. Maybe I am not, but I certainly feel in the minority on that opinion.

I hear this a lot but don't find it to be true in the slightest. Count the amount of "smaller" films that will be coming out between now and the rest of the year and the amount of "blockbusters" that came out in the summer. I bet the smaller budget stuff crushes the bigger budget, probably even in the summer months. I stand by my claim that plenty of both are being made. Maybe I am not, but I certainly feel in the minority on that opinion.
Certainly there are more independent films being made than ever before. Film equipment is much cheaper and more accessible for the prosumer.

Certainly there are more independent films being made than ever before. Film equipment is much cheaper and more accessible for the prosumer.
Right, so if that's true why does the dominant opinion seem to be that big budgets movies have taken over like Godzilla, pun intended.

Right, so if that's true why does the dominant opinion seem to be that big budgets movies have taken over like Godzilla, pun intended.
My guess is that most independent films don't have the budget for marketing. You have to be really active about seeking them out. And then most of them aren't good

Big budget movies always dominated film grosses. Nearly all famous movies are big budget. Citizen Kane was made with a budget equivalent to tens of millions of dollars if you correct for the size of the market for hollywood movies today. Same for all Hitchcock movies, Kubrick's etc.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
YES!!!! I don't watch them, but I wish they still wouldn't bother. But they know they could have a superhero show that is absolutely junk that will make so much money.... What a joke..

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Big budget movies always dominated film grosses. Nearly all famous movies are big budget. Citizen Kane was made with a budget equivalent to tens of millions of dollars if you correct for the size of the market for hollywood movies today. Same for all Hitchcock movies, Kubrick's etc.
Yes, however one should remember that Kane was not a commercial success and that it also cannot be considered a standard Hollywood product. Orson Welles was effectively exiled from the industry because of Kane and as a result, much of his work is mangled and destroyed. Though Kane is viewed as Hollywood now, when it came out it was a radical product.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Yes, however one should remember that Kane was not a commercial success and that it also cannot be considered a standard Hollywood product.
To be fair, the same could be said about Osmosis Jones.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
The film industry is sequential. We're currently enduring through a heavy producer-orientated period where little - if any - creative trust and power is being vested in the filmmaker. Thankfully, there's almost no denying this (frankly) tiresome and insipid phase will abate and subside in time. Yes, they will milk superhero adaptations for all it is worth because they're obviously prodigiously profitable, but I am sure we will see the return of personal, more artist-driven filmmaking soon enough. The dynamics of today's system is reminiscent of the traditional Hollywood system, and all it takes is for a new generation of producers and executives to move in and implement change. This is precisely what happened with the New Hollywood movement of the late 60s up until the dissolution of United Artists in the early 80s, and I think we're slowly and progressively seeing it again today. I am not big on superhero adaptations, but, ultimately, they only constitute a small portion of what is being released. They really do not bother me at all. I am just happy that producers are finally taking notice of the commercial and critical successes of (predominately) artist-driven projects in the industry. I am rather optimistic for the future, and I'm sure we'll see the return of personal 'large-scale' (originally conceived) filmmaking soon. We just have to be patient.

I am a fan boy of this comic book movies, and the closest time I see people getting sick of comic book flicks is after 2019 when Marvel will conclude Phase III of the Marvel Cinematic Universe with the second Part of Avengers Infinity War. Marvel are the big fish and the comic company that started the comic book movie boom with Blade, X-Men and Spider Man. Unless DC can actually capture what Marvel did and try to replicate it, then it could go for longer. But that is banking on the Batman v Superman movie making a butt load of money. Unless it does Avengers good or at least out grosses The Dark Knight, then the Justice League movie will probably be a no go.

Yeah, I kinda got tired of it ever since Guardians of the Galaxy. Yeah, sorry, but I still have ill feelings about it.

But anyway, after Thor and especially Thor: The Dark World, I kinda just stopped taking these Marvel movies seriously; at least Man of Steel tried to have a deeper story. I feel like Marvel movies are just screwing around with my seven bucks and two hours of free time. I only watch these when I have the free time and money to spare, out of interest as a Marvel fan rather than expectations of a great movie. Thank god for Winter Soldier though, but that's a rare exception.

Not as psyched about Infinity War as I initially was, when I first saw the teaser. The only one I'm really looking forward to is Civil War, because you know, story. Bonus points if they make heavy references to the American Civil War, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what." - Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 5 June 2005

Make a better place
I've had enough of them, although I don't watch them

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Every studio is scared to make another masterpiece like Dredd, which can't get a sequel financed.

Lord High Filmquisitor
I'll just leave this here while I wait for Avengers: Age of Ultron to come out:

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
It seems like every movie is a superhero kind of movie. It's horrible. To me, 99% of the movies are gimmicks. I won't even give "American Sniper" a chance. I bet it will make tons of money, because if you don't watch the movie, then the "terrorists" win.