Do you make a big deal of watching your movies?

Tools    

I prefer to just sit back and enjoy the movie on my laptop with not much/no prior notice. A friend of mine makes a big deal watching his movies, he readies the popcorn, has plasma screen as display and makes sure nothing interrupts the experience. If something comes up and I have to go, I just continue from the latest scene. My friend feels it ruins your connection with the movie, which is understandable.

Nah, if I'm in the mood, I'll pop one in, no snacks or anything. I often shut movies off and take a break to do something else for a bit and then come back to them, especially if it's something I've seen before. I'll also often take DVDs to work with me to watch, but I only get an hour for lunch so typically I'll watch about 45 minutes of something, then turn it off, then watch another 45 minutes the next day and so on until it's done.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Stuff happens. It sucks, but it doea. Plus I watch movies enough, that seeing one is not an especially novel or unique experience. Family members call, the dog needs to go out, bathroom breaks necessitate pausing and sometimes we need to get up for seconds on dinner / freshen our drinks. We try to minimize these as much as possible, and usually succeed, but we're not going to get bent out of shape if they crop up.

I don't make a big deal of getting ready for a movie. I just put something on whenever I feel like it. But I really don't like stopping a movie and finishing it later. I only do that if I absolutely must. If I don't have enough time to finish a movie then I won't start it.

I tend to take a long time making up my mind about what movie to watch

Yeah, I get stuck in that rut too sometimes. Like I get in a mood for a particular type of movie, but just can't find one to fit my mood. Or I'll spend hours researching movies to find something interesting to watch, but all I'll end up with is 20 new additions to my To Watch List and nothing that I want to watch in that moment.

I'm more impulsive than that, I don't make a big deal at all, simply watch the film on my computer, of course I don't like leaving movies half way through but sometimes I have to, and that's alright. But I do think it kinda ruins the first impression, and unless you start over you won't feel as connected or focused again, a little feeling of being lost I suppose.

No big deal making here, just make sure any drink is replenished prior to starting. With 2 cats interruptions are not unusual but usually brief and not a problem - wouldn't particularly like to watch a film in installments though, unless perhaps it was one already seen and known well anyway.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I'm like your friend. I'll make a nice meal to eat while watching then snacks for later. I have really soft comfortable blankets to snuggle with while watching. I don't make a big production out of every movie, but if that is what we are doing for the night, I do.

My boyfriend wasn't really a movie person, but he'll be the one to suggest movies now because I'll make them more special than just plopping a movie in.

I also watch movies all the way through on first go around because I feel I lose the connection if I watch it in pieces.

I can make a pretty big deal out of it sometimes.

It depends on the movie of course. For instance, I won't mind having to pause my film for a while when watching Austin Powers or something like that, but when I want to watch films like Lawrence of Arabia or 2001: A Space Oddysey, I want a dark room, a big screen and silence! I hate being interrupted or disturbed when watching a film that I respect. Stopping the film somewhere halfway through is also a taboo for me. I always watch my films in one run, because that's how they are supposed to be watched.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Usually by myself it'll have to be late at night so there's no constant interruptions. If it's a family movie experience, I ban all phones and electronic devices, that bugs the hell out of me.

Both yes and no, actually.

I don't make a big deal out of it in the sense of preparing a bowl of popcorn or any other candy for that matter. I like it but it's not a necessity, so if I haven't bought any then it's not like, too bad now I'm not gonna watch a movie. It's not that sacred to me I can tell you that lol.

But still I do agree with your friend that somehow it takes you out of the experience if you are distracted or doesn't immerse yourself into the film that you're watching. I also hate myself if I have to finish a movie another day because it's just not the same if I try to get into it again the next day. Only if it's something like f*cking Lawrence of Arabia then I have no shame in splitting it into two parts, especially at the already inserted intermission.

So that's why I said yes and no, since I do make kind of a thing out of it, and I ALWAYS watch my movies on a TV and I make sure nothing disturbs me and the lights are off so it's nice and cinematic and so on... How people can watch movies or even TV-series on a laptop or something I've never understood. I need my big screen and surround sound and I need to concentrate around it, not take care of day-to-day things while I'm watching (maybe only if I've seen it before). End of story.

I think it's how close you can get to a laptop or computer that makes up for the big screen and with the addition of headphones, you can really immerse yourself, equal to viewing on a TV or like.

I don't make a big deal out of it, except for the fact that I always check the running time before so I know whether or not I'll be able to watch it in a single sitting. If I get interrupted or get sleepy, I will check the number at the bottom of the screen and make a mental note of exactly where I stopped so I can resume a minute or so before. Other than that, I don't do anything special.

Very interesting thread Whobody.

I prefer to give a quality film my full attention so:

Lights low, watched on the big TV, with no distractions. That way I'm IN the story.

However with a cat that likes to wrap itself up into the TV/DVD cables, I rarely get to watch a film uninterrupted.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I pick my movie, which is hard, as there are so many, but after I do, I might take a shower before hand so I'm fresh. I also pee in the shower so I don't do it later (haha). I turn off my phone. I might get a Dr. Pepper and Vernors, and sometimes I'll add pumpkin seeds. I turn the lights off, and place my blanket and a bunch of pillows at the top of my bed so my neck doesn't hurt. I start the movie, and I might pause it once to urinate. Yesterday I watched a comedy (Zelig) so I thought "I'm not driving anywhere, my day is done, I'll take a few puffs of the giggles" and I had a good laugh watching Woody Allen's mockumentary.

imo, if I'm going to watch a film, I'm gunna do it right. Popcorn ready, curtains shut, and I make sure everyone knows not to interrupt me