Films You Hate, But Everyone Else Loves

Tools    

And here we have in a nutshell why Guap left the forum. He says something too assumptive about anime, and people lash backwards in a similarly aggressive fashion. I think you should've stopped this reply after the first sentence
Indeed. I should use my words more carefully to not sound too aggressive.

I'm not being aggressive at all to be honest + that wasn't directed at Guaporense (since he stated he appreciates both mediums)

What I'm trying to say is, anime fans usually don't have much knowledge about cinema in general. I'm speaking from experience. I have a friend who has been an anime nut for a decade and only recently started to get interested in film. He saw The Godfather for the first time last month, and now won't stop gushing over it (The Godfather!)
Indeed. People with specialized hobbies don't know other specialized hobbies.

People like me with multiple hobbies are rare: how many people have watched all Tarkovsky and Legend of the Galactic Heroes? Well, I know a couple of people but it's pretty rare, I am the only person in this forum who has done that and I don't know anybody else personally who did that (though I don't know anybody else who watched Tarkovsky before I recommended it to them).

However I might disagree on one aspect: one thing is obvious, fans of anime have watched an enormously greater number of Hollywood films than fans of films have watched anime (usually from people here I think the number of anime they have watched is around 10-20, everybody has watched a thousand Hollywood films). That's because Hollywood is mainstream, adult anime is not (in the west at least).

That's perfectly fine. Saying you're a fan of anime and not a fan of film is one thing, but disparaging live action film and claiming it's garbage is ridiculous and offensive (considering the number of genres, styles, decades, countries, movements etc). If you make such a claim you're trying to come off as smart, but in reality you're showing that you're a philistine
Indeed. Actually I was wrong from using those words. What I mean't is that there are fans of animation who dislike watching live action film.

What sort of abstraction are you referring to, exactly?

How is, say, the Harry Potter series more abstract than 2001? How is Toy Story or The Lego Movie more abstract than Persona?
In both 2001 and Persona the film's reality is depicted directly with photographic realism, Harry Potter books consists of a bunch of marks of black paint on sheets of paper. Toy Story depicts human constructs such as living toys in a very stylized manner. I think this is pretty obvious and I don't think it's hard to understand the point I was making: just try to understand the way I use the words instead of interpreting it from another perspective.

Finally, if someone thinks animation "induces more dopamine" than live action I challenge anyone to watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes and find it super "stimulating":

I actually was induced into sleep through several animated films and series I have watched.

Well this horse is dead

But why can't you just admit that animation can have as much depth as live action? I even posted that picture which showed how some details where actually deeper in the animated version and some where deeper in the live action version. Like the leaves in the foreground. They were blurry in the live action, but detailed in the animated version. I mean, isn't that clear as day? Why turn a blind eye to the truth?

It's not like anyone is saying you can't prefer live action. You could say, you like the kind of detail in live action more. Or you prefer seeing all the pores on a person's face instead of just a solid color with no texture. Can you understand that the limitations animation faces don't make it inferior?

At the very least say, "You could be right, I need to think about it more," or something like that. The point is you could be wrong and so you need to give a margin for error. I know I have been wrong before even when I thought I knew I was right.

I would rather 90sAce just admit he was flat out wrong.

It's fine that you prefer real actors to fake ones. That's a personal taste. It's fine that you prefer live action to animation. That's a personal taste.

It's flat out wrong that live action is a better representation of human interaction and emotion than animation. It's wrong to say things like this:

"I'm talking about capturing human realism"

"having an "interesting character" does not equate to capturing the depth of body language and face-to-face interacting - that's impossible to do with animation, sorry if it hurts to hear that. It's factually impossible to "develop" an animated character in the same way you can a live actor."

" I was asserting that a live actor putting on a convincing performance or interaction requires much more effort than just drawing or creating a character with CGI, and it does. If you're a fan of animation then good for you - but don't be a "fanboy" and blindly argue without understanding"

"I can guarantee you it does." (when implying that The Godfather has more depth than every animated film ever made...because blanket stupid statements like that are never wrong from someone who's not watched enough animated fare to fill a child's sock)

All of those statements are flat out incorrect. All of them are based on some notion that I don't think you even understand because you've not watched any of the animated films that the people here have recommended.

Please, for the love of film, watch one or two of the films we've mentioned. Watch Mary and Max or Grave of the Fireflies or Perfect Blue or something.

Django Unchained

Movie is utter garbage IMO, might have to make a separate thread to explain how much I hate this film

Red Dead Redemption is 100x better story

AvatarAlmost every superhero film except Days of Future Past, Guardians and The Dark Knight
Good Will Hunting
Out of Africa
Amour
Almost every Spielberg movie except Tintin, Catch Me if you Can and Lincoln
Raging Bull

University Video Entries
Gone Girl. I feel it was just such a big hype. The end had me like, what so that's all?

Lord Of the Rings trilogy is most overrated movies of all time. They ain't even close to Star Wars.

The Avengers. I dont hate this film, but it's rated above an 8.0 on IMDB and that makes me angry. This is an average film. The plot is lame, the script is poor, the cinematography is generic, the acting is meh. It's a good popcorn flick but nothing more than that.

Batman Begins-The first hour is great, the rest not so much. Gotham City rips off of Blade Runner too much in this one, the action sequences are lame and unrealistic, and the acting especially by Katie Holmes is attrocious. This is an okay film, but heavily overrated though.

Holy Motors-the definition of pretentious and self indulgent. The acting and directing is fine, but there's 0 plot. There's no plot,no meaning,no symbolism. This isn't a film in my eyes, rather an excercise in tedium.

Jerry Mcguire-This movie is complete crap. It's so generic,cliche and stale. It's awful.

Jaws-this film has shown it's age. Yes maybe once it was amazing, but now it's just dull and heavily overrated.
I totally agree with you regarding Batman Begins and Jaws...I got to the point where I watch the opening scene of Jaws, which I think is brilliant, and turn it off after that. Have to disagree with you regarding Jerry Maguire though...I think it's one of Cruise's best performances and Crowe's work is sharp, despite a slightly self-indulgent screenplay.

Gauging by the IMDB top 250, I'd say:
  • Inception (overblown mess IMO... didn't finish it)
  • WALL E (sort of cute, but too preachy & sanctimonious for my taste)
  • Batman Begins (took away all the pizzazz, at least the kind *I* like)

I am the Watcher in the Night
I absolutely hate The Shining, a horrible mess of a movie and others seem to like it, even hold it as a classic.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Night of the Living Dead (1968) - God, that was boring. In fact, let's throw in Romero's Dawn of the Dead as well. Both of these I've given high ratings, but I just don't really enjoy them a lot.

The Guardians of the Galaxy - I couldn't say enough how much I loathe the undeserved attention this movie received. It's a cheap attempt at humor, and it has even lesser story value than The Avengers, which is just f-king pathetic.

Frozen - The second-half of the film killed it for me. Elsa could've made a great antagonist, instead of this Disney lovey-dovey stuff. "Woo, the power of true love!"

X-Men: First Class and X-Men: Days of Future Past - One is a mediocre prequel which was a good concept (on paper), and the other is just Bryan Singer fixing the franchise, nothing impressive. In fact, I find it stupid how everyone was so impressed by Quicksilver in the latter, when I found it to be the most unnecessary part of the movie.

300 - What. The. Fudge. Can't believe people actually hail this shallow movie as one of the greatest films ever made. Next you're gonna tell me you like Transformers.

How to Train Your Dragon - Not as much hatred for this one as the other films, but I still found it pretty boring.

Pacific Rim - When this came out, all of my movie-buff friends loved it. I was the only one who felt it was sub-par at best.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Like How to Train Your Dragon, I don't necessarily hate it, but I didn't find it as impressive as the others did, and it certainly wasn't anymore entertaining than Rise.
“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what." - Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 5 June 2005

I do not like Aliens,
I hate any movie with Monsters that drip saliva