North Korea threatens war over film

Tools    

I understand why everyone thinks that Sony was wrong for caving in and pulling the movie, but you also have to look at it from their point of view.

What if they released the movie to the theaters, and something bad happened, and hundreds or thousands of people were killed in a 9/11 type of attack?

This is a lose-lose situation for Sony. They're wrong if they cave in to terrorists' demands, and they're wrong if they stand their ground and release the movie, and then something bad happens.

They never should have made a movie like this in the first place. Just like in the movie War Games, "The only winning move is not to play.".

They just confirmed that the Sony hacking indeed came from North Korea. Apparently there was some debate/skepticism/nothing was confirmed that North Korea was responsible for the hacks and the threats.

I haven't read a lot about the movie itself, but is there any reason why this exact same movie couldn't have been made, but without using a real-life dictator in that role?
One of the main satirical aspects of the film is to ridicule things that are actually happening in reality. Like the joke you can see in the trailers about Kim Jong-Un never having to go to the toilet, for instance. It's something his grandfather (Kim Il-Sung) actually said in his memoir:

"My grandfather's opinion was this: If pupils peep into their teacher's private life frequently, they lose their awe of him; the teacher must give his pupils the firm belief that their teacher neither eats nor urinates; only then can he maintain his authority at school; so a teacher should set up a screen and live behind it."

It's meant metaphorically of course, but later witnesses (North-Korean defectors) actually declared that they did actually believe this stuff litterally.

"To my childish eyes and to those of all my friends, Kim Il-sung and Kim Jong-il were perfect beings, untarnished by any base human function. I was convinced, as we all were, that neither of them urinated or defecated. Who could imagine such things of gods?"

Anyway, I'm just mentioning this anecdote to point out that the comedy is (mostly) completely grounded in reality, which is also confirmed by Rogen and Franco. That's why they probably, "artistically" chose to set this film in a comical version of real life. It makes everything more effective (both the comedy and the satire).

Now, I get that they could've just pulled a Chaplin ("Adenoid Hynkel") and renamed the dictator and country that they were targetting, but in essence, this shouldn't really matter.

Now, I get that many people are thinking that this stupid film isn't all that important and that they could've just toned it down a little bit to avoid controversy, but that's not really the point.
The real issue I'm having with this whole situation is that terroristic threats limited our freedom today (it probably sounds overly dramatic, talking about a Rogen/Franco film, but I don't care). I understand why the theater chains and ultimately Sony pulled the film (they have their valid financial and ethical reasons), but I simply don't approve of the implications that go with it.

At the very least, at least the movie's been made.

It exists. This controversial movie. People will see it - somehow. May not be soon, but it exists and it's out there. It's legendary now. They will never be able to stop the legend of this movie.

At the very least, at least the movie's been made.

It exists. This controversial movie. People will see it - somehow. May not be soon, but it exists and it's out there. It's legendary now. They will never be able to stop the legend of this movie.
True. It now has a major story behind it that kind of elevates it as one of the most significant films of this century so far. It's a legend that will live on.

It's pretty weird to say this, but Franco and Rogen have become an important part of Hollywood history today.

I'll confess. I always kind of liked both guys.

I take Seth Rogen and James Franco seriously. Sure, they may have their "lesser" moments -- especially Franco -- but in our modern world today, where there's so much I hate and don't care for, they've always managed to get my attention.

If nothing else hopefully this will help the film's publicity if it does get released in theaters at a later date - or at least during the DVD or online releases.

It'll just make people want to see it that much more. I'd nearly forgotten about it in fact prior to this hack - now I'm going to make an extra effort to watch it once it does finally come out.

If nothing else hopefully this will help the film's publicity if it does get released in theaters at a later date - or at least during the DVD or online releases.
I don't buy it, but: http://variety.com/2014/film/news/so...ew-1201382167/
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

lol - Texas Theater to show Team America in place of The Interview

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/texas-t...491244997.html

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
Here's a thought experiment:

What if Hollywood made a movie showing the beheading of The Prophet Mohammed by a time-traveling Christian zealot?

What if Hollywood made a movie showing the beading of The Prophet Mohammed by a time-traveling Christian zealot?

It would certainly justify an Islamic terrorist attack

What if Hollywood made a movie showing the beheading of The Prophet Mohammed by a time-traveling Christian zealot?

I'd watch it to see what all the hype was about.

I have some choice words for Sony.

WARNING: "All the cursing..." spoilers below
Sony are a bunch of dickless bitches who caved to terrorist threats. Bunch of bootlicking s**ts who bend their knees to ruthless communist dictator who needs to be shot. F**k Sony.

I think Sony was in a pretty tough situation. All or most of the major cinema chains backed out from showing the film. I don't think Sony had much of a choice right now but to delay the release. The cinemas are the cowards.

They're a company, this is capitalism.

They got hacked and threatened that more would happen, they're protecting their bottom line not the integrity of the american government.

I have some choice words for Sony.

WARNING: "All the cursing..." spoilers below
Sony are a bunch of dickless bitches who caved to terrorist threats. Bunch of bootlicking s**ts who bend their knees to ruthless communist dictator who needs to be shot. F**k Sony.
Effing effers!