Films You Hate, But Everyone Else Loves

Tools    

I can guarantee you it does.
No you can't because you won't watch adult animation because it's "for kids."

But the effort put into drawing isn't the same kind of "depth" as depth of acting or chemistry. It's a completely different "discipline" (just like designing the frame for a Rolls Royce is completely different than designing the motor).
But animators emulate and often perfectly capture the same sort of things with their characters. Animated characters are able to have chemistry. They are able to convey emotions with facial expressions and body language.

But to me that's not what I'm looking for when I go to see a film; I'm not going there to "stare at art", I want to see dynamic performances and interaction which can't be captured with animation.
Uh, yeah, they can be captured with animation. Again, Gollum or all of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

See above. These might be deeper plot-wise than a Cartoon Network show but this is really just sidestepping my point - if you're insecure about your interests because then that's on you. I might check some of these out though
Please do check out something other than Pokemon or whatever cartoons you've watched. Then prepare to feel completely wrong (even if you won't admit it).

Keep in mind I didn't say "animation is bad" - I said that it's not the same type of depth that you get in a live action film. If you're talking about depth in terms of the art creation process that's apples to oranges.
Again, the depth you're referring to is present in animation. You just haven't watched any of it apparently.

Seriously, watch Cowboy Bebop, the TV show then the movie. The show is the only TV show that's brought me to tears.

And which of the GCI characters one an Oscar for "Best Actor"?
Seeing as how there's still a stigma attached to CGI characters because of people like you in Hollywood, it's not a surprise none has won. However, "Serkis has received an Empire Award, a National Board of Review Award, two Saturn Awards and a Screen Actors Guild Award for his motion capture work." That's from Wikipedia.

It's only a matter of time before someone does win an acting award for an animated role. There was buzz among the film geek community last year that Scarlett Johansson should be nominated for an Oscar for her voice work in Her. The film geek community (minus you) is keen on someone being nominated for a performance that's not an on screen performance. Perhaps you should embrace the idea because it's only a matter of time.

I'm actually into human behavioral science.

I believe that animation (this includes cartoons like anime and video games) triggers a higher release of dopamine in the brain than live action does; I think this also leads to over-stimulation and dependency on dopamine for some individuals, making it addictive, almost like a drug. There are also theories that excessive dopamine or dopamine sensitivity contributes toward certain mental disorders such as schizophrenia. I find this all pretty interesting stuff, and it makes me wonder what the net affects today's media will be on future generations.

A little off-topic but that post you mentioned about animation reminding you of computer games got me off on this tangent. It sounds like it's triggering a similar dopamine rush to computer games - I also notice that myself too on the occasions that I watch cartoons or play a computer game (compared to live action media).
I think this is the best (by which I mean most interesting) post of this entire, rather pointless, exchange.

Watch Kill Bill Vol. 1 for instance. Would you say that the animated sequence is the least effective part of the film?

Yeah, I didn't think so.
Well, it's been a long time since I saw Kill Bill 1 but, yeah, as I remember it. But then, I really don't like the style at all.

I think this is the best (by which I mean most interesting) post of this entire, rather pointless, exchange.
It isn't. It's nothing more than pseudo-science. You just like it because it supports your anti-animation agenda.

Everyone's dopamine can be "triggered" by something entirely different. I don't see any evidence on why watching animated films would trigger more dopamine than watching a live action film. It's kind of absurd even. It all depends.

It isn't. It's nothing more than pseudo-science. You just like it because it supports your anti-animation agenda.

Everyone's dopamine can be "triggered" by something entirely different. I don't see any evidence on why watching animated films would trigger more dopamine than watching a live action film. It's kind of absurd even. It all depends.
Yes, but looking at these things is infinitely more interesting to me than arguing about this crap. That's what I meant.

“Hell will hold no surprises for you.”
The Twilight, Harry Potter, Fast and the Furious and Transformer series are all very popular and I hate all of them.

Amen.

Both live action and animation have their enrichments to storytelling and their (mild) shortcomings.

Watch Kill Bill Vol. 1 for instance. Would you say that the animated sequence is the least effective part of the film?

Yeah, I didn't think so.
I guess I imagine a dystopian scenario where animation (CGI or otherwise) completely displaces live acting.

I mean from a purely financial standpoint, how much cheaper and easier would it before a movie company to hire a graphic artist to create 10 different animated characters, than to hire 10 different actors who're paid millions for their role? What if all of the major studios got together and made a pact not to produce live action media anymore, leaving consumers with no other option?

IMO we live in a day and age where people are neglecting the importance and significance of living in favor of things which only exist on a screen - this isn't just limited to films, it's a harmful social phenomena in general.

Animation rocks! Anime.. doesn't!

It's not pseudo scenice at all, it's documented fact that animated media (such as video games, etc) trigger the release of adrenaline and dopamine.

I'd have to more hard research - but I found this an interesting topic since I've known a lot more kids who've become addicted to watching cartoons or playing video games than I have kids watching Discovery channel documentaries. There's a reason why that is, and it's not coincidence.

From my personal experience, animation is a much higher "stimuli-to-content" ratio.

Claiming an "anti-animation conspiracy" is a sign of paranoia - something which is also induced by elevated levels of dopamine in the brain.

No you can't because you won't watch adult animation because it's "for kids."

But animators emulate and often perfectly capture the same sort of things with their characters. Animated characters are able to have chemistry. They are able to convey emotions with facial expressions and body language.

Uh, yeah, they can be captured with animation. Again, Gollum or all of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

Please do check out something other than Pokemon or whatever cartoons you've watched. Then prepare to feel completely wrong (even if you won't admit it).

Again, the depth you're referring to is present in animation. You just haven't watched any of it apparently.

Seriously, watch Cowboy Bebop, the TV show then the movie. The show is the only TV show that's brought me to tears.
I've seen adult animation which was entertaining, I'm just asserting that it has its limits due to the medium. If animation ever replaced live action entirely that would be a huge artistic setback.

Seeing as how there's still a stigma attached to CGI characters because of people like you in Hollywood, it's not a surprise none has won.
Nope it's because they're not "real people" - they're the product of someone's imagination.

However, "Serkis has received an Empire Award, a National Board of Review Award, two Saturn Awards and a Screen Actors Guild Award for his motion capture work." That's from Wikipedia.

It's only a matter of time before someone does win an acting award for an animated role. There was buzz among the film geek community last year that Scarlett Johansson should be nominated for an Oscar for her voice work in Her. The film geek community (minus you) is keen on someone being nominated for a performance that's not an on screen performance. Perhaps you should embrace the idea because it's only a matter of time.
Even then it would be a separate Oscar category such as "Best Voice Actor" - it wouldn't take the place of best Live Actor categories since their performance is based on their voice alone, not their entire stage persona - that's what I'm talking about when I say the acting in animation is more "1 dimensional" - the only acting is the voice acting.

It's not pseudo scenice at all, it's documented fact that animated media (such as video games, etc) trigger the release of adrenaline and dopamine.
Video games are active. Films are passive. It has nothing to do with the medium that's being used to present things. It has never been proven or no respected neuroscientist has ever stated that the medium animation provokes a raise in adrenaline/dopamine compared to live action. It's something you completely made up.

I'd have to more hard research - but I found this an interesting topic since I've known a lot more kids who've become addicted to watching cartoons or playing video games than I have kids watching Discovery channel documentaries. There's a reason why that is, and it's not coincidence.
Are you really this incapable of seeing that the main difference between a Discovery channel documentary and a cartoon that's made for entertainment is essentially content-wise instead of medium-wise?

Action films and superhero films (live action) also generally trigger much more dopamine and adrenaline than documentaries. It has nothing to do with the medium. You're equaling animation with flat entertainment, which is not always the case. It's all about the content.

Also, the amount of dopamine a certain medium arouses isn't even the issue of what you were initially saying. You said animation was "a step below" live action, which is of course complete nonsense. It's the way a certain medium is used that determines the quality of the work, not the medium itself.

If you look at Grave of the Fireflies... if that movie was done with real actors, it wouldn't have made an ounce of difference to kind of emotion/plot that movie brings to the screen.

It all depends on way you look at it.

I prefer animation over slapstick dumb comedies that are released every year. Case in point Dumb and dumber like and anything from Adam Sandler.

Video games are active. Films are passive. It has nothing to do with the medium that's being used to present things. It has never been proven or no respected neuroscientist has ever stated that the medium animation provokes a raise in adrenaline/dopamine compared to live action. It's something you completely made up.
Untrue, I've noticed a higher dopamine effect myself when watching animation, even compared to action or slasher films - I think that the bright and vibrant colors produce more of a stimulating affect

Are you really this incapable of seeing that the main difference between a Discovery channel documentary and a cartoon that's made for entertainment is essentially content-wise instead of medium-wise?

Action films and superhero films (live action) also generally trigger much more dopamine and adrenaline than documentaries. It has nothing to do with the medium. You're equaling animation with flat entertainment, which is not always the case. It's all about the content.

Also, the amount of dopamine a certain medium arouses isn't even the issue of what you were initially saying.

You said animation was "a step below" live action, which is of course complete nonsense. It's the way a certain medium is used that determines the quality of the work, not the medium itself.
In terms of acting I believe it is a step-below since acting in animation is 1-dimensional (voice acting only); in other areas (such as expressing creativity) animation obviously has its advantages.

Untrue, I've noticed a higher dopamine effect myself when watching animation, even compared to action or slasher films - I think that the bright and vibrant colors produce more of a stimulating affect
I don't care what you think or what you've "noticed". The things you are saying are based on nothing substantial. The color palette in live action films can be much more vibrant than in animated films.
Animation doesn't magically provoke a larger dopamine effect just because it's drawn instead of filmed from real life. I don't want to be mean, but this is really one of the more ridiculous things I've ever read on the internet. Think rationally for a minute and understand how completely absurd that concept is.

It's all about content and preferences.

In terms of acting I believe it is a step-below since acting in animation is 1-dimensional (voice acting only); in other areas (such as expressing creativity) animation obviously has its advantages.
You do realize that animators also draw emotions in their characters right? Just like in a live action film, you have image and sound to get your information from.

If you look at Grave of the Fireflies... if that movie was done with real actors, it wouldn't have made an ounce of difference to kind of emotion/plot that movie brings to the screen.
I disagree. I was really looking forward to Grave Of The Fireflies and when I sat down to watch it, I found out it was anime. Had to turn it off. I just don't like the aesthetic at all.

Finish it, i would say! I hate Anime too!

Pokemon and those robot cartoons that are out there. They are just rubbish.

First off, you can't say something is a "documented fact" and then present your own subjective experience as evidence. Your experiences are not universally applicable.

Second, do you seriously believe you can measure your own dopamine levels through feeling?

Third, even if you could, and your experience was emblematic of everyone else's, this still wouldn't be a valid response, because one of the things he questioned was the ability to isolate the medium from the message. It may be that the topics and themes animated films employ more often are the cause.

Everyone fails to realize that 90sAce takes his own blood samples when watching films and TV to measure his body chemistry. It's the only true way to enjoy visual story telling.

Is this why animators often have a mirror on hand to replicate their facial expressions on their characters? Because it's only a one-dimensional performance?