The Mofo Top 100 Television Shows

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Yeah, it's a must see. I keep remembering some of the stuff that happened and I'm like sheeeeeeeeit. I won't talk specifics, but there are some real did that just happen?
moments in the show.

I had it at 19 only because I was trying to get other shows on the list and I knew this one was going to get lots. Omar is one of my favorite characters of all time. Even saying he his my favorite character from the show means a lot because it's full of great ones.

It's ironic that the Sopranos is 7 and the Wire is 6 because without the Sopranos there would be no Wire. The Sopranos changed television, but now it's just taken for granted.

The Wire was my #11. Season 1 and 3 are up there among the best things I have ever seen on television, 4 is pretty great as well. 2 and 5 left a bit to be desired for me. I know I am very much in the minority on season 2. I really didn't care for the dock worker story arc though. I just desperately wanted to spend my time with Avon and Stringer. No doubt this was one of the best things on television however. I just don't think it is near the level of Sopranos, Mad Men, and The Shield though.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
It's ironic that the Sopranos is 7 and the Wire is 6 because without the Sopranos there would be no Wire. The Sopranos changed television, but now it's just taken for granted.
But that doesn't automatically mean it's better, simply because it came first.

The Wire is just on another playing field, compared to everything else I've seen. Breaking Bad and The Wire are perfect television shows, Game of Thrones is near there.

Coincidentally, I had it at #6 as well.

My List:

1. Buffy The Vampire Slayer
3. Lost
5. Arrested Development
6. The Wire
8. Batman: The Animated Series
9. Firefly
10. Sons of Anarchy
11. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
12. Community
14. Futurama
15. The Fresh Prince of Bel Air
16. Titus
17. Curb Your Enthusiasm
18. Sherlock
19. Pushing Daises
20. Six Feet Under
21. Spider-man (1994) Fox
22. The Walking Dead
23. How I Met Your Mother
24. True Detective
25. Dexter

Suspect's Reviews

I own all of "The Wire" but have never watched it, actually I watched the first episode ages ago. I really ought to get to it sometimes to see just how it compares to my favourites.

But that doesn't automatically mean it's better, simply because it came first.

The Wire is just on another playing field, compared to everything else I've seen. Breaking Bad and The Wire are perfect television shows, Game of Thrones is near there.

Coincidentally, I had it at #6 as well.

My List:

1. Buffy The Vampire Slayer
3. Lost
5. Arrested Development
6. The Wire
8. Batman: The Animated Series
9. Firefly
10. Sons of Anarchy
11. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
12. Community
14. Futurama
15. The Fresh Prince of Bel Air
16. Titus
17. Curb Your Enthusiasm
18. Sherlock
19. Pushing Daises
20. Six Feet Under
21. Spider-man (1994) Fox
22. The Walking Dead
23. How I Met Your Mother
24. True Detective
25. Dexter
It all depends on your definition of better. Later shows have the advantage of being able to build on the innovations made by earlier shows. The Wire might be better now because it built on the Sopranos. Are we going for ground breaking or is it just what do we like more?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
It all depends on your definition of better. Later shows have the advantage of being able to build on the innovations made by earlier shows. The Wire might be better now because it built on the Sopranos. Are we going for ground breaking or is it just what do we like more?

That's the problem for me with these types of lists. There's a big difference between "the best" shows on TV, and "my favorite" shows on TV. There are shows that I acknowledge are great shows, and probably some of the best shows on TV ever, but that doesn't make them my favorite shows, even though I liked watching them.

For example, the show that I expect to come in first on this list is "Breaking Bad". It's a great show. It could possibly be the best show on TV ever, but it's not among my favorite shows simply because it's not something that I am likely to go back and watch again.

My favorite shows are the ones that I've watched so many times that I have most of the episodes memorized, and most of those shows won't make this list.

Welcome to the human race...
I had The Wire at #3. I watched the whole series about four or five years ago and obviously loved it, now I'm in the midst of re-watching season one and it still holds up just fine.

Godoggo you made a mistake, it's not time to post The Wire yet.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I had The Wire at #5. Out of all of the shows on my list, I don't think anything beats The Wire in terms of quality. Such a brilliant show.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
So what's this Wire all about? Gonna have to but it.

The People's Republic of Clogher
The Wire was my #2 - Perhaps people will take me seriously now when I say that it's almost as good as Deadwood.

The thread is here.

Like Deadwood and The Sopranos, The Wire is one of those shows that I regularly marathon. As a detective/crime drama there may have been shows that approach it but as an ode to a city? Nothing comes close.

Stellar performances, Shakespearian (again, almost as good as season two of Deadwood) plotting and a cast so multicultural it makes the UN look like Big Lance's secret KKK and Magic The Gathering parties.

Season five's dip probably cost it it's #1 shot for me and it got a bit too trendy for its own good in the late naughties but I suspect I'll be watching McNulty, Omar, Bubbles et all for as long as there's breath in my body.

Welcome to the human race...
So what's this Wire all about? Gonna have to but it.
To put it simply, it's a crime procedural at heart where each season is about the Baltimore P.D. launching an investigation into a certain criminal operation, but such a basic summary does a disservice to the large numbers of multi-dimensional characters on both sides of the law and the various ways in which they interact with one another, to say nothing of the expertly crafted drama that unfolds in ways large and small. To call it a cop show is like calling Deadwood a cowboy show or calling The Sopranos a Mafia show - technically accurate, but it doesn't do justice to the genius involved.