MoFo Music Hall of Fame

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I think I prefer the Close to Me version on the Quadpus EP. Still, It's one of the best Cure albums without question. It's also really the only one that references several sounds of theirs, anything from the darkwave stuff to the Top (underrated record). What makes Six Different Ways your least favorite? Screw might be mine, if only because it sits between A Night Like This and Sinking...
I think it's the most uninteresting to me lyrically. I don't have to know what a song means to like it or even understand the words, but with all the other songs on that album I get a kind of story in my head and I just don't lose myself in that song in quite the same way.

I do really like the piano part of it though and generally like the song. If it were on Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me it would probably be in my top five songs of the album.

I listened to John Coltrane today. All I have is a first impression that will likely change, but I thought it was excellent. It's passionate, eloquent, and it builds up nicely. I'm not a jazz aficionado, but I like stuff that is more raw and energetic, and this is those things.

I've listened to two tracks off Spirit of the Beehive. The first one I listened to The Devil's Own was very pretty and I liked it best in the beginning when it is just piano and Sylvain. The second track I listened to I absolutely love. The Spanish guitar intro is fantastic and the juxtaposition of the prettiness of the music and the violent subject matter makes the song really stand out.

Sylvain's voice reminds me a tad bit of Peter Gabriel's.

So far this is music that I'd put in play with my beloved Cocteau Twins and Fields of the Nephlim. It has that slow moody hypnotic sound.

Listening to the rest tomorrow.

I have a question, Winter. Should the bonus tracks be listened to and taken into consideration or just tracks 1- 9? I've already listened to both of them just wondering if that is something we should be talking about as well.

I've listened to about half of Zen Arcade. I wasn't keen on it at first, mainly because I was thinking I wasn't in the mood for punk once the first song started. But now I'm really liking it. It's some of the best punk I've heard. The idea of a Tommy/Quadrophenia-like punk opera is really off-putting, but really, I wouldn't even know that's what they were going for just by listening to the album. A song like "Hare Krsna" is an awesome example of how far you can stretch punk rock and still remain within the confines of the genre.

I've known about Husker Du since the 80s, but I had never listened to them. I would say that's too bad, but it's kind of nice being introduced to them at this late date, because it's always exciting to experience something old for the very first time in later life.

I think it's the most uninteresting to me lyrically. I don't have to know what a song means to like it or even understand the words, but with all the other songs on that album I get a kind of story in my head and I just don't lose myself in that song in quite the same way.

I do really like the piano part of it though and generally like the song. If it were on Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me it would probably be in my top five songs of the album.
I'm surprised no one's mentioned "Kyoto Song"...that's one of my very favorite Cure songs. Also love "The Baby Screams".

I have a question, Winter. Should the bonus tracks be listened to and taken into consideration or just tracks 1- 9? I've already listened to both of them just wondering if that is something we should be talking about as well.
Do you mean Promise (Cult of Eurydice) and Forbidden Colours? I usually listen to them at the same time, so I suppose so. Forbidden Colours I'd say should be required since it's a song adapted from a film score It's the Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence song.
I'm surprised no one's mentioned "Kyoto Song"...that's one of my very favorite Cure songs. Also love "The Baby Screams".
I'm surprised no one mentioned The Blood. Or did Godoggo? I don't remember. Kyoto Song is really cool though, it stands apart a bit

I didn't mention any individual songs other than Close to Me and Six Different Ways. Both The Blood and The Baby Screams are fantastic songs. The Blood is a perfect example of me getting lost in a song. It's one of those I want to turn up so loud so that I feel the song as well as hear it.

The Baby Screams and Close to Me also have a big nostalgia factor for me. I don't know how many times I danced to both of those songs in bars I was too young to be in.

A Night Like This is a fantastic song too. It's right up there with The Blood for just immersing yourself in.

Like I said, there is not a bad song in the whole bunch. It's the best album from a great band.

I've listened to about half of Zen Arcade. I wasn't keen on it at first, mainly because I was thinking I wasn't in the mood for punk once the first song started. But now I'm really liking it. It's some of the best punk I've heard. The idea of a Tommy/Quadrophenia-like punk opera is really off-putting, but really, I wouldn't even know that's what they were going for just by listening to the album. A song like "Hare Krsna" is an awesome example of how far you can stretch punk rock and still remain within the confines of the genre.

I've known about Husker Du since the 80s, but I had never listened to them. I would say that's too bad, but it's kind of nice being introduced to them at this late date, because it's always exciting to experience something old for the very first time in later life.
I'm glad you changed your mind. I picked Husker Du because of how highly influential that band is. A big portion of the 90's music sound is because of the band members listening to Husker Du. Both the Pixies and Nirvana were big fans. They took punk rock and played it fast and loud but there is still a great melody in their songs.

Zen Arcade is a great rock album that transcends just the "punk rock" sound. It's hard to find a list of greatest rock albums without finding Zen Arcade on it. That's why I picked it over something like The SubHumans. They were hugely influential inside the punk rock genre, but Husker Du reaches far beyond with Zen Arcade.

When listening to this music, how are you guys handling listening to something that just isn't your cup of tea, so you aren't really familiar with how it should sound? Winter, Kaplan and Inmate all nominated right inside my wheelhouse, but I want to give the nominations a little more consideration than just whether or not I like it.

Let the night air cool you off
That's an interesting question to think about. There's no criteria set for this kind of thing, so it's totally up to each individual. Most of these albums look like the kind of music that I already enjoy or wouldn't be that far from something I'd enjoy, so I shouldn't have much problem with that. When that does occur for me, I think I'll probably listen to the album in question at least twice and try to understand why others think it is a great album, maybe that will help me appreciate it more. Still though, if something is my cup of tea, I'll probably vote for it over the one that's not. I wouldn't blame anybody for doing the same.

Yeah, I mean I think pleasure should be part of the criteria but not the only one. I've even toyed around with changing the movie HoF from just ranking the movies to awarding each individual movie points in certain categories.

With each of the very few jazz albums I've listened to, I've always noticed that it doesn't seem like there are any rules. Jazz musicians just go out there and they make you feel it. It seems to me that John Coltrane did that with great success with A Love Supreme. Kaplan mentioned that this album is raw and energetic and I think that goes hand in hand with not having any rules, you just go at it and make something beautiful.

When listening to this music, how are you guys handling listening to something that just isn't your cup of tea, so you aren't really familiar with how it should sound? Winter, Kaplan and Inmate all nominated right inside my wheelhouse, but I want to give the nominations a little more consideration than just whether or not I like it.
That is a question that's going to come up, but so far I've avoided it by not delving into those albums. The Band could be a tough one, but in this case it's not exactly because I don't like that kind of music. They have a sound somewhat similar to some of Neil Young's music, and I really like Neil Young, but from the sampling I've heard, nothing is grabbing me. But that could change. I hope so.

Got your list. Care to share any thoughts on the albums? You don't have to share your rankings yet, but some discussion on the albums is encouraged.

I listened to The Velvet Underground, The Band, and Selling England By the Pound yesterday.

The Velvet Underground was absolutely beautiful, I love Lou Reed's voice a whole lot. He can cut me straight to the bone.

The Band
is my nomination, clearly I love it. Swan called it a really classy album, and I can dig that. Makes sense to me. The Band features mostly Canadians, but they are southern band. I don't think it's just because of Levon Helm, even though he is my favorite member. They just feel southern.I feel some sort of kinship with The Band that others here might not be able to feel.

Selling England By the Pound is my least favorite album so far, but it's not a bad one by any means. The instrumentation was fun, but I don't see myself having the desire to return to it.

Welcome to the human race...
By all means.

The Band - they're certainly all very talented musicians but I don't think their sort of roots-country-Americana music is my thing. At the very least I don't much feel like sitting through this again.

The Head on the Door - yeah, I don't think the Cure are one of those bands that can deliver consistently good albums. I realise not every album has to be Disintegration, but even so this just strikes me as some fairly decent but not amazing post-punk with just the right level of Goth involved.

A Love Supreme - well, obviously I still like it a lot. Not just one of the most important jazz albums ever made, but one of the most important albums period. Much like the title suggests, it's a brilliant exultation of love - the reverence that Coltrane has for God (both as a benevolent creator and as a force to be reckoned with) makes for one hell of an inspiration as the album starts off with a glorious cacophony in "Acknowledgment," moves through a number of moods on "Resolution" and "Pursuance" until it concludes with the serious and passionate "Psalm". Absolutely essential even if you don't know or care about jazz.

Music has the Right to Children - a consistently high-quality ambient techno album that makes good use of sampled audio and doesn't have any especially weak tracks. My only major complaint is that "Roygbiv", which has the best melodic hook on the whole album, is only just over two minutes in length while tracks with less impressive hooks such as "Rue the Whirl" manage to run for at least five or six minutes.

Secrets of the Beehive - it started off well but got kind of tiresome by the end. I get it, you're making this soft but emotional art-pop kind of music. It's not bad, but I don't have much interest in it.

Selling England by the Pound - Genesis, especially while Peter Gabriel was still in the band, definitely deserves its reputation as one of the greatest prog bands of all time. This is the most obvious and understandable pick for their best album. "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" is quite possibly my favourite song of theirs with its lilting introduction that soon gives way to powerful hard rock and stays bombastic for much of its running time. The only real track I take any issue with is "The Battle of Epping Forest", which feels a bit underweight compared to tracks such as "The Cinema Show" or "Firth of Fifth". "The Cinema Show" in particular is one of the best climaxes that a prog-rock album could ever ask for, second only to the preceding album's "Supper's Ready".

The Velvet Underground - I have a slightly irrational dislike of his album because the departure of John Cale meant the subsequent albums started sounding really soft in comparison. Of course, track by track it's still a good album. "What Goes On" is the kind of simple but effective jam I can get behind, "Pale Blue Eyes" is a great mopey song and "I'm Set Free" still surprises me each time I listen. "The Murder Mystery" shows them still trying to create unnerving aural experiments like on their first two albums, but here it just feels out of place and even on its own not too impressive. "After Hours" is a pretty good understated closer.

Zen Arcade - Hüsker Dü are one of those bands that I'd know I'd grow to love if I listened to them more. Based off a single listen, Zen Arcade feels like the kind of album that would just keep getting better. Closing track "Reoccurring Dreams" lasts well over thirteen minutes and only has one chord or two but it never gets boring and that's all the proof I need that this is an amazing album and I need to actually get a copy at some point.

very nice album nominated right here !! Good Tournament all your in good hands with JJ and Godog