The Mofo Top 100 Television Shows

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I searched around and found nada. Lorre seems to like extreme opposites in his shows as in Dharma and Greg and Two and a Half Men (two shows that one I dislike a lot and the other I just downright hate) and I think the difference between Leonard and Penny is the situation of the show as well as Sheldon's ego and his social awkwardness.

The writing of the show is very traditional and I would expect the criticisms to be toward that aspect. If anything it's very much a Friends type show with Penny acting very much the Rachel at times. Not necessarily in personality, but sometimes her mannerisms are. When I first watched it that was my reaction that is was a Friend's knock-off, but then I didn't care. It's different enough that I think some of the similarities are a bit incidental.

I like the show. I can see others not liking the show. The rage it induces baffles me a bit.

Some people don't like "The Big Bang Theory" because it hits too close to home for them, and it causes a hatred for the show. They can see the "nerd" side of themselves in the characters, and it makes the show hard for them to watch.

One of my best friends refuses to watch the show, even though he loves science, sci-fi, computers, and everything else that the characters on the show love. He says that he can see himself in the characters, and it feels like the whole world is making fun of him.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
The Shield!! My number 3.

So much more than just a cop show, gritty, realistic, violent, great characters. You won't find any stupid CSI male/female models in this show.

Like people are saying it's a MUST watch, if it's been on your watchlist then dust it off and get it watched.

Some people don't like "The Big Bang Theory" because it hits too close to home for them, and it causes a hatred for the show. They can see the "nerd" side of themselves in the characters, and it makes the show hard for them to watch.

One of my best friends refuses to watch the show, even though he loves science, sci-fi, computers, and everything else that the characters on the show love. He says that he can see himself in the characters, and it feels like the whole world is making fun of him.
I think that's a misinterpretation on your part. It's not that it hits home for anyone (except your friend), but these kinds of scientists do not exist. I've talked to a few professors of mine about it, who have the experience amongst a multitude of scientists, and the show is so unrealistic in its depiction that the idea of it making fun of nerds makes no sense, aside from the extremely general issues of talking with girls and arguing over theorems. You'd have to be ridiculously sensitive to feel like the show is representing you. To follow up on that, you'd have to be ridiculously ignorant to think that the show represents nerds/scientists.

I think that's a misinterpretation on your part. It's not that it hits home for anyone (except your friend), but these kinds of scientists do not exist. I've talked to a few professors of mine about it, who have the experience amongst a multitude of scientists, and the show is so unrealistic in its depiction that the idea of it making fun of nerds makes no sense, aside from the extremely general issues of talking with girls and arguing over theorems. You'd have to be ridiculously sensitive to feel like the show is representing you. To follow up on that, you'd have to be ridiculously ignorant to think that the show represents nerds/scientists.

I agree with you. I'm just relating how someone else I know feels about the show. He was a very intelligent kid who always blew the curve in school, and he got picked on because of it, and he see that in these characters.

On the other hand, I keep telling him that he should watch the show, and I think he would love it if he just gave it a fair chance.

The Shield!! My number 3.

So much more than just a cop show, gritty, realistic, violent, great characters. You won't find any stupid CSI male/female models in this show.

Like people are saying it's a MUST watch, if it's been on your watchlist then dust it off and get it watched.
Preach Gandalf!

Chappie doesn't like the real world
28. Futurama (1999 - 2013)

Theme Song

Quote: It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you? ~ Fry

Quote: Everyone's always in favour of saving Hitler's brain. But when you put it in the body of a great white shark, ooohh! Suddenly you've gone too far! ~ Professor Farnsworth

Animated tv show set in the future. A pizza delivery boy is cryogenically frozen for 1000 years and upon being revived goes to work for his distant nephew at an interplanetary delivery service.

Series history: The show was cancelled in 2003 with reruns shown on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. In 2008 it was revived as four direct to video movies. 20 Century Fox entered into an agreement to have the films be shown as half-hour episodes resulting in a fifth season.

In 2009 Comedy Central picked up the show for 26 episodes and renewed it for a seventh and final season.

Character's names: Phillip J. Fry is named after actor and comedian Phil Hartman. Bender is named after John Bender from the Breakfast Club. Professor Farnsworth is named after Philo Farnsworth, inventor of the television. Finally, Leela’s full name Turanga Leela is named after Olivier Messiaen’s 1948 “Turangalîla-Symphonie.”

Billy West: He voices many of the characters and usually does so in one take switching back and forth between characters. That's talent.

Fry and Leela's outfit inspiration: James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause and Ripley in Alien respectively.

Placements: 2 11th, 2 21st, 2 13th,1 5th, 1 12th, 1 14th, 1 15th,1 24th

27. Deadwood (2004 - 2006)

Theme Song

Quote: Any more gunplay gets answered. You call the law in Sampson, you don't get to call it off just cause you're liquored up and popular on payday. ~ Seth Bullock

A western series set in the 1870s in Deadwood, South Dakota.

It won eight Emmys in its three season run.

The Famous Ranch: The ranch Deadwood was shot on was also the scene of many television shows and films including Gunsmoke, The Cisco Kid, The Gene Autry Show, The Lone Ranger, and Have Gun—Will Travel, High Noon, The Gunfighter, and Django Unchained.

Cursing: The f-words fly on the show but that word didn't come into popularity until the 1920's. However, it was felt that the curse words of the late 1800s most notably "tarnation" and "goldarn" would just appear to laughable and tame to the ears of the current audience.

Characters: The show is a mixture of characters that truly existed in real life and fictional characters that represent the people you would find in a town like Deadwood.

Placements: 1 1st, 1 2nd, 1 4th , 1 12th, 1 14th, 1 16th, 1 18th, 1 19th, 1 21st, 1 24th

28. Futurama (1999 - 2013)
27. Deadwood (2004 - 2006)

I don't watch either of these shows, but I think I saw a Star Trek themed episode of "Futurama" a while back, but as I recall, it was pretty stupid. Something about the Trek cast's heads being removed from their bodies.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I had Futurama as my 24th. I would have put it higher if I had of known it wouldn't make the top 20. There are many different types of humor used in the show and I think it's all pretty much funny.

Besides The Prisoner, Deadwood is the show I want to see the most that I haven't.

Deadwood makes 7 for me, i had it at 12. It was just such a perfectly executed idea, to choose a mixture of real historical people, in a ver historically significant place like Deadwood and mix it with some great fictional characters and events. Right from Season 1 with the unbelievable tension they put around Wild Bill Hickok, and the fact that his reputation puts a constant bounty on his head, right up to it's unjustified cancellation .

Al Swearengen completely makes the show for me as i imagine he does for most people, he was clearly a well written, complex character but it takes the phenomenal Ian Mcshane to truly bring him to life. Also Timothy Olyphant was born to play a Wild West figure, he plays practically the exact same character in Justified except he's alot more laid back. One of the finest shows ever made imo, and certainly the best to have been cancelled.

Futurama was a very funny show, and was clearly more consistent than The Simpsons. If i'd seen more it may have made my list, overall i think i've probably seen about two seasons worth of episodes

My List:

5.Sons of Anarchy
7.It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
12.Deadwood
13.The Shield
16.Batman TAS
17.Only Fools And Horses
21.Curb Your Enthusiasm

Never seen Futurama or Deadwood; I think I'd like the latter.
You and Godoggo should both give it a go if you get the chance, there's nothing quite like it imo.

Season 1 Trailer:

Going back again to The Big Bang Theory ---

I can see people being irked by this show because I feel like it's trying to be hip and cool by using the geeks/nerds/scientists as characters. To me, the show appears to be here now because, from what I'm seeing, there is a huge cultural movement going on towards what I'll dub a "science fetish." We are becoming a very secular society. Loving science is trendy ***** right now. Being an atheist and finding all things scientific is fabulous right now. To me, The Big Bang Theory works into this. It's a comedy for those of us who "know better." The IN thing is intelligence, science, rationalism, geekdom (Dr. Who is considered another show for geeks, too), being without God, no religion. Big Bang Theory is trying to push us all into this level of thinking. Hence, Honeykid, a known atheist and who has even tried to push boring science shows on me to watch, likes Big Bang Theory now.

i've seen some futurama and it's never really done much for me, which is odd considering how much i love another matt groening show.

i really want to see the shield and deadwood.

my list:
3. The Colbert Report
4. Louie
9. Cheers
14. Frasier
15. Married… with Children
16. Parks & Recreation
21. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
23. SNL

my guess for the top 26, in no order:
The Simpsons
Breaking Bad