Suspect's Top 50 Horror Films

→ in
Tools    

Seeing a vampire film with a western aesthetic is pretty cool, and Bill Paxton stole the show with his "finger-lickin' good" performance, but Near Dark, as a whole, never reached its full potential. Good movie, but kind of disappointing, too.

I keep saying this every time it pops up on one of these lists, but I think Night of the Living Dead is still the best zombie film ever made. Not sure if I've seen Halloween: H20 or not.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I like all of those last entries. Near Dark is my favorite of the three.

No other Halloween comes close to the original but H20 is a good slasher film and the acting of Jamie Lee Curtis and Michelle Williams gives it more weight than most of the others.

+ repped the moment I saw Near Dark in that set. I love that film and I've yet to be that bothered by the ending or all the other things that are wrong with it. But that's love, I guess. Night Of The Living Dead has to be on a list like this. Thankfully, I love that too. I've only seen H20 once, and while I remember virtually nothing about it (Tone Loc as a security guard or something?) my overall feeling is meh.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I've only seen H20 once, and while I remember virtually nothing about it (Tone Loc as a security guard or something?) my overall feeling is meh.
LL cool J....he's on the poster.

Suspect's Reviews

The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

The Lucky Ones Die First...

As mention in Cricket's thread, I really dug this film. Aja manages to create fear and tension by being stranded in the middle of the desert while being watched by radiation freaks.

The film is bloody, with great make up effects that is missing in horror these days. Never seen the original, but I'm content with just seeing this one.

What a sweet tagline too right?

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

Who will survive and what will be left of them?

Credit for having a sweet title, always thought this title rocked.

Anyways, this entry introduces us to the iconic Leatherface, a chainsaw wielding manaic who wears a mask made of human skin. Scary.

The film was shot on an extremely low budget, giving it an almost documentary feel. I felt like I was in that trashy house with them.

God I hate that Franklin character and smile every time he bites it. Has one of the best abrupt endings of all time.

Identity (2003)

Identity is a secret. Identity is a mystery. Identity is a killer.

The classic Ten Little Indians tale. Identity is a mystery horror that has each character biting the dust one by one in this rain soaked creepy motel.

This film had me glued to it from the get go. I found myself wrapped up in the mystery and loved the execution of both mystery and surprise.

A few good performances here with Cusack and Liotta headlining the film.

Halloween: H20 (1998)

20 years ago, HE changed the face of Halloween. Tonight, he's back!

Oh my God, how could he? He didn't did he? Yes he did. H20 is rated higher than Night of the Living Dead. Why? It's not because H20 is the better film, I simply enjoyed it more. Night of the Living Dead is is up there more for the impact and importance it had then anything else.

What could have and should have been the last entry into this series, is ruined by what follows. Resurrection is trash, H20 is good trash.

Halloween: H20 isn't a good film, but as a horror film and as an entry in the Halloween series, it's one of the better flicks.

The best looking Myers since the original, the most intimidating since the original and the most fun since the original. Keep in mind, I haven't seen Halloween II. H20 is fun, the deaths are goofy but Curtis gives it her all here. 20 years later, she has moved on...barely. She still has nightmares and visions of The Shape. Well...he's back. Tracking her down, as he does, and killing those in his way. H20 is pure popcorn entertainment.
Should Halloween: H20 have been the last Halloween movie? Probably. I really actually haven't watched Halloween: Resurrection all the way through, but I saw the opening scene where Laurie Strode dies... and it was so horribly done that I just didn't care about ANYTHING ELSE that went on in the rest of the movie. I've seen bits and pieces. I really ought to give it a proper watch. It's the weirdest Halloween movie to me -- even more weird than Halloween III -- and it's mainly weird because of my strange relationship I've had with it.

The Rob Zombie movies are alright to me, though. I'm fine with their existence, but I could live without them.

I DO NOT AGREE with your feelings about H20, though. Most of them, anyway. Yes, it's campy fun. No, it is not the best Halloween movie since the original. And no, it is definitely not the best Michael Myers has looked since the original.

I don't hate H20. I loved this movie to death when it first came out. I saw it twice at the movies -- the second time was at a drive-in theater. But I quickly realized it wasn't THAT great.

It's horribly too short (even for my standards!) and the whole thing just comes off as looking really goofy and dumb -- which brings me to Michael's mask -- which I think looks idiotic. Bearable, but idiotic.

Halloween 4 and Halloween 5 are so much better.

Halloween II is better. I love Halloween II. You must see it. The original, that is, not the Rob Zombie film.

Love The Hills Have Eyes and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. Identity was middling.

LL cool J....he's on the poster.
Ah, yes. That's right. I wasn't paying attention to the poster and, like I said, that one scene is about all I can remember from the whole film. Is JLC running along a rooftop or something?

I really liked 2 of the last 3. I don't think I have to say which one I don't like, do I?

I have Hills Have Eyes near where you do so obviously I love it.

I also love TTCM, but I need to see it again soon because I think I'll love it even more now.

I really enjoyed Identity but wasn't crazy about the ending.

Eden Lake (2008)

A weekend by the lake, with views to die for.

A tense thriller with horrific results. I watched this film on a whim, which stars a pre-famous Fassbender.

A couple go to a lake in the woods for vacation, but run into trouble with a group of kids who love to cause trouble. What comes next is something nightmares are mad of. Brutal filmmaking that will tear down any hope you have for a happy ending. I put Eden Lake up there with Martyrs in terms of disturbing me to no end.

1408 (2007)

The Dolphin Hotel invites you to stay in any of its stunning rooms. Except one.

1408 sends chills down your spine with so little. No blood and guts needed in this ghost story. Based on a short story by King, 140 is one scary haunting flick. The film starts off with subtle scares, then continues to amp it up.

It's a one man show with Cusack keeping us glued to the screen. I applaud the filmmakers for giving us a great fake out too.

Wow. All this love for 1408 lately. Maybe one day I'll have to watch it again. There again, as it's an adaption of a King story, I don't think it'll change my mind.

Still not seen Eden Lake despite owning it for years.

Slither (2006)

What's Gotten Into You?

I was a fan of James Gunn before he got the Guardians gig. Slither is hilariously entertaining from start to finish.

One of the hardest genre's to pull off is horror comedy because the two are varied genres. The best ones pull it off flawlessly. Slither is one of those films.

With great practical effects that walk the line of gross, Slither is stellar entertainment.

Ginger Snaps (2000)

They don't call it a curse for nothing

A wonderful Canadian horror film. One of the better werewolf tales and it works perfectly with the theme of female puberty. I absolutely love the title and recommend it to people who want something a tad different from their horror films.

The sequel was pretty lacklustre in my opinion. I like how the themes shifted to drug issues, but it lost some kick in that shift. The 3rd one, I've yet to see.

Obvious + rep from me for Ginger Snaps. Not only one of the, very few IMO, good werewolf films, one of the best. The third one is OK and you get the sisters again, but it's a different feel from either of the other two. It feels like a genre mix that doesn't quite work as well as I'd have liked, but I quite like it.

Didn't like Slithers. Just didn't work for me. Maybe the cast, maybe the feel, maybe it was just the wrong day?

Nice to see some of my faves getting some love.

HK, I found Slither to be a pretty clever nod to 50's B... kinda like Tremors. I see Slither as the film Eight Legged Freaks wants to be (think I said something similar in my reviews about ELF).

Ginger Snaps is a top film too. I had the trilogy in one of my lists, think it was in my Marathons List. Got a feeling the first film made my Top 10s Of The Genres as well.

Good entries, Suspect! Near Dark is awesome stuff and Halloween H2O is one of my favorites of the series. The first classic is my favorite, followed by Halloween II, then H2O. Rep+ to Sexy Celebrity for liking the original Halloween II.

Have only seen a bit of The Hills Have Eyes. I've seen the original and it was pretty great, so I really want to see all of the remake.

Of course, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre belongs on any horror list. And Suspect, I love the image you posted of the van with the dead armadillo in the foreground. That was so cool I almost missed the blood smeared on the van, which is straight out of the movie and was a nice touch.

I liked Identity and loved the cast and the acting.

I loved Slither, what with all the comedy and gags (the puke kind). Plus, it has Elizabeth Banks in it!

Have only seen the third entry in the Ginger Snaps series, but I want to see the others. Plus, it has Katharine Isabelle in it.

Great list so far, Suspect.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Has anyone (besides someone who just doesn't like horror at all) ever not liked Ginger Snaps? It's one of the few movies I can't remember anyone complaining about.

I couldn't agree more with Eden Lake and Ginger Snaps; they were both nice surprises for me.

I almost watched 1408 a couple days ago after seeing it on Derek's list. I'm definitely going to watch it now.

Slither is on my watchlist.