Christopher Nolan's Interstellar

Tools    

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/inte...id=home_list3a

Surprisingly mixed reception so far. It has a 69% right now.
Might be a good sign, because critics have been praising every mediocre flick under the sun this year with a 90% or higher.
The lower a film is rated on Rotten Tomatoes the better it is.

The lower a film is rated on Rotten Tomatoes the better it is.
So true! Like Dracula Untold and Ouija have low scores and they are totally rad while The Lego Movie, Her, The Great Beauty, Gravity, 12 Years a Slave, and The Godfather are all total trash.

So true! Like Dracula Untold and Ouija have low scores and they are totally rad while The Lego Movie, Her, The Great Beauty, Gravity, 12 Years a Slave, and The Godfather are all total trash.

To be fair I did not like Her and 12 Years a Slave was mediocre.

Looking forward to Interstellar. I'm off to Bradford as part of a uni visit to the media museum and then to the IMAX to see it in 2D.
Enjoy! the Media Museum is fabulous with a proper sized IMAX screen, unlike some around the country.

To be fair I did not like Her and 12 Years a Slave was mediocre.
To be fair, you're in the minority.

To be fair, you can't say they were bad films. Maybe not to your taste, but film can be an objective art at the same time it's a subjective art.

To be fair, you're in the minority.

To be fair, you can't say they were bad films. Maybe not to your taste, but film can be an objective art at the same time it's a subjective art.
12 Years a Slave had major pacing issue to me and Her is just more from Spike Jonze who I do not like at all. Not bad, but not good either.

12 Years a Slave had major pacing issue to me and Her is just more from Spike Jonze who I do not like at all. Not bad, but not good either.
Was it shot well? Did it have good sound design? Proper lighting? Could you hear the dialog? Could you understand why certain stylistic choices were made and did those choices inform the film? Was the story coherent? Was the acting believable within the context of the film?

There's so many elements to film that are entirely objective. I can't stand when people say films that are obviously well made aren't good. That's just not true.

Full disclosure, I didn't see 12 Years a Slave, but I did see Her and I loved it. I can understand why some people would have trouble with it or why people wouldn't like it, but it's just silly to say it's not a good film. I brought this up in an ancient thread here. I think it's false to ever say films are entirely subjective.

Was it shot well? Did it have good sound design? Proper lighting? Could you hear the dialog? Could you understand why certain stylistic choices were made and did those choices inform the film? Was the story coherent? Was the acting believable within the context of the film?

There's so many elements to film that are entirely objective. I can't stand when people say films that are obviously well made aren't good. That's just not true.

Full disclosure, I didn't see 12 Years a Slave, but I did see Her and I loved it. I can understand why some people would have trouble with it or why people wouldn't like it, but it's just silly to say it's not a good film. I brought this up in an ancient thread here. I think it's false to ever say films are entirely subjective.
Technically Her was shot well. The story was Spike Jonze trying to do Charlie Kaufman. And I don't even like Charlie Kaufman! Could not get past Phoenix wanting to **** his cell phone.

So a well made film is, by its nature, good? Surely not.

Bizarrely, I was in Leicester Square at just the right time tonight and ran across the red carpet for Interstellar's European premiere. Saw Anne Hathaway, Matthew McConaughey, Jessica Chastain, Michael Caine and Christopher Nolan. Couldn't get very close so it was from pretty far away, but still. Here's Matty McDouche in very (very very) long shot.

So a well made film is, by its nature, good? Surely not.
Yes. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad.

Quality is objective, taste is not. Prove that wrong.

My name's Bobby Peru, like the country.

Eh i'd say that is a bold statement in the sphere of cinema, Quality could defiantly be in the eye of the beholder for films. Just because person A thinks film X is made well doesn't necessarily mean person B has to think so.

I wasn't looking to prove you wrong, I was trying to make clear to myself if that was what you were saying. I don't think there's much doubt that most decent budgeted films are well made, but I don't think that makes them good. Of course it's objective as to whether you like them or not, but I don't think there's much to boast about if you've made a good film for millions of dollars but people don't like it.

Taking all that money and talent and making something that doesn't entertain is a much greater 'crime', IMO, than making a crap film that no one likes for tens of thousands of dollars.

I wasn't looking to prove you wrong, I was trying to make clear to myself if that was what you were saying. I don't think there's much doubt that most decent budgeted films are well made, but I don't think that makes them good. Of course it's objective as to whether you like them or not, but I don't think there's much to boast about if you've made a good film for millions of dollars but people don't like it.

Taking all that money and talent and making something that doesn't entertain is a much greater 'crime', IMO, than making a crap film that no one likes for tens of thousands of dollars.
I don't see the distinction between a well made film and a good one. If a film is trying to do something and it works, then it's a well made, good film. Just because Gunslinger can't get passed the idea that a man loves a non-human in Her doesn't make it a bad film; it means he didn't like it (though, in defense of Her, there are plenty of people right now who have emotional connections to inanimate objects).

I'd like to know what is your idea of a "good" film that no one likes.

But that's not a good film. It's bright and shiny and visually amazing in parts but it has exactly zero characters, zero coherent story, and no charm. It's not a good film and it's not liked.

But that's not a good film. It's bright and shiny and visually amazing in parts but it has exactly zero characters, zero coherent story, and no charm. It's not a good film and it's not liked.
But it's a well made film, which was the point I was trying to clarify.

But it's a well made film, which was the point I was trying to clarify.
No it's not. A well made film is more than just flashy pictures and expensive effects. Is this really not obvious?