The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
The original game was a puzzle platformer with a bit of combat, the reboot is a 3rd person shooter with a bit of exploration. The new game didn't disappoint me as such as I'd figured that the only way they'd get a Tomb Raider game released after such a break was to appeal to an existing market.

I just hope that the developers build upon the goodwill and bring the sequel back to the franchise's roots. Not massively optimistic, though.

Anniversary is frequently very cheap so it's worth a punt. Camera can get a bit mad (a fault with Anniversary, Legend and Underworld) but it's not too distracting.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Oo, MIT make computer games? This is a fun idea...

Visual effects of special relativity gradually become apparent to the player, increasing the challenge of gameplay. These effects... include... the Doppler effect (red- and blue-shifting of visible light, and the shifting of infrared and ultraviolet light into the visible spectrum); the searchlight effect (increased brightness in the direction of travel); time dilation (differences in the perceived passage of time from the player and the outside world); Lorentz transformation (warping of space at near-light speeds); and the runtime effect (the ability to see objects as they were in the past, due to the travel time of light)
Next they need to do the quantum realm

A system of cells interlinked
I still need to finish Tomb Raider! I liked it pretty well, but felt there was too much combat, too.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Hmm, System Shock 2 for £1.74

Sorely tempted, although even with graphics mods etc it still looks painfully aged. That became a step too far when I tried to play the original HL on PS. Stillll.... cheap

You won't be playing it on PS though.

SS2 holds up surprisingly well. The graphical mods totally fit the aesthetic - they're near-as-dammit just higher resolution versions of the original textures and the game works with modern monitor resolutions out of the box. Be prepared to rebind your keys though - The defaults are really janky.

I've installed the 21 day trial of VoiceAttack, a program which maps game button presses to voice commands. I'm thinking it'd be great for Elite but the possibilities (if it actually works) are many.

The day I thought might never come (but prayed it would) has ... erm ... come. GOG have got Star Wars X-Wing and TIE Fighter. And KOTOR.

Not played them since they were new, and even then it was on a friend's system.

A system of cells interlinked
Hmm, System Shock 2 for £1.74

Sorely tempted, although even with graphics mods etc it still looks painfully aged. That became a step too far when I tried to play the original HL on PS. Stillll.... cheap
It actually looks really good... I was surprised how well it held up after all those years, and I got sucked RIGHT in... Still one of the best PC games of all time, IMO. SHODAN is one of the best villains ever.

Okay, so, I might be throwing in the towel on Tomb Raider soon. I got to the part (spoilers, but only sorta) where you get kidnapped and tossed into an area with a bunch of body parts, and now there's this supernatural giant samurai walking around. Shortly after there was a part where I just had to shoot guys ziplining down into the room I was in that felt completely indistinguishable from a rails arcade shooter. Just all wrong.

I brought up a few YouTube videos of the later game and it looks like there's just more and more of this. I just have no interest in shooting wave after wave of enemies. I'll probably play a little bit more because the scenery's pretty, but I think the next time I get a part like that I'll probably just stop. No regrets at $5, though.

Got some genuinely tough choices about what to play next. I might pick up Black Flag again. I feel like I could end up liking that a lot more if I just get a bit more comfortable with the mechanics.

Black Flag is a genuinely good game, I'm playing it at the moment. It took me a while to get to grips with the mechanics too, but I love it. Little bit addicted.

Got some genuinely tough choices about what to play next. I might pick up Black Flag again. I feel like I could end up liking that a lot more if I just get a bit more comfortable with the mechanics.
I'd recommend AC2 before Black Flag. Apart from it being just better you'll have less mechanics to work with and by fully comfortable with them when you move on to AC4.

Ubisoft ... Ubisoft never changes...

Cool, hope that happens for me too. I've already played several hours. I feel like the fights never turn on what I do, but on the vagaries of the grappling system and other things I have only a moderate amount of control over.

I'm skeptical that this will stop, but there's enough exploration and atmosphere that I'll keep going on with it. Especially since there's so much upside--I can get very enjoyably lost in these kinds of open-world games, so I'm liable to stick it out with them for awhile.

AC3 and 4's combat never gelled with me - Far too much slow motion counter nonsense. By this stage the AC combat had become a QTE - Arkham it ain't.

I was looking at the Sleeping Dogs DLC the other day and worked out it would be cheaper to buy the Definitive Edition than Nightmare on North Point etc separately. The Definitive Edition is a much tougher sell on PC because the original game already looked and ran brilliantly (it's aimed at the console crowd mainly) but they've still managed to tart things up a little. Character models are now even better and there are some real nice fog effects. They've adjusted the counter window too so combat has toughened up a bit.

Man, I love Sleepy Dogs.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
I'd recommend AC2 before Black Flag. Apart from it being just better you'll have less mechanics to work with and by fully comfortable with them when you move on to AC4.

Ubisoft ... Ubisoft never changes...
I would like to add Brotherhood to that list,just as awesome game,Ezio is great so I think Brotherhood is complete exp.

Originally Posted by Seds
I recall Tomb Raider being a lonely, exploratory game. Or is this a different TR version you are talking about?
The original game, maybe, but not the reboot. I think I got a bit further than Chris did before the waves of boring enemies finally made me lose interest. Didn't pay full price and put maybe a dozen hours in so got my money's worth.

Monk vs. Ghosts in Bonze Adventure

All these are on that Taito Legends Vol. 2 arcade anthology for the PS2 that I got so I could play Elevator 2. (There are a lot of sequels in that sentence).

Liquid Kids (1990). One of the better cartoony platform games Taito (of Bubble Bobble fame) released in the late 80s/early 90s. Good, but not quite as good as Rainbow Islands. Beat it (with the help of infinite continues, of course).

The Fairyland Story
(1985). See above. This one feels like a prelude to Bubble Bobble. The levels are just single-screen rooms and the object is to clear all the enemies.

Alpine Ski (1985). I gave up in frustration after 10 minutes. I could never make it more than 5 seconds without wiping out, while Mrs. Palsy looked on and laughed. At least someone was enjoying their self.

Bust-A-Move Again (1995). Classic, and one of the few games Rebecca is consistently better than me at (and one of the few non-jrpgs she doesn't put down immediately). We spent a few hours on Sunday beating the single-player mode, then did it again last night before moving on to versus.

Bonze Adventure (1988). Another platformer, this time horror-themed. Plays a bit like Ghouls and Ghosts (but with Japanese ghosts and demons). I think I like this a little better though.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I didn't like the Tomb Raider reboot that came out a year or so ago and forgot most of it. I absolutely loved Tomb Raider Anniversary which was a remake of the first Tomb Raider. As good a game I've played in many years. Really fun and looks very good.