What do you think of people who pirate film/tv shows?

Tools    

I don't have any problem with poor people pirating films or tv shows..
Nor do I have a problem with people who would otherwise have to wait an extra year, etc before the film would be released in their country.

But I think if you have lots of disposable income, there's no excuse !
Still I know some people who have pirated game of thrones because they don't have HBO. It doesn't make me dislike them as a person although it is a shame.

And I'm kind of tempted to pirate american horror story, because I've heard good things. And I'm poor right now, I wouldn't be able to justify paying an on-demand price to watch it.

I've told several friends of mine where to go when they've tried selling me pirate copies.

Last one was about a month back when a friend offered me the new TMNT for £3 on pirate DVD... I called him a dick.

Hate pirated films. They're the reason decent movie-goers have ended up paying through the nose for the proper thing.

If theyre trying to sell them then I think theyre a piece of crap. If its just to watch then I could care less.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Not a bad thing if they are pirates. Worse if they're corsairs.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Pirating has led work that would have otherwise died off in obscurity to be known and respected by people around the world, music, films, or otherwise. Especially in a world where the art demanded is pathetic overall, it's really expensive to "import" what you want, so there's no reason you shouldn't be able to test things out before spending money on it.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Agreed. Selling them is really low. I think that is different than the word pirate though.
Actually, that is the very definition of the word. " To use or reproduce another's work for profit without permission. "

I don't think it's pirating without the profit.

I don't pay for everything I watch. If I didn't do that I wouldn't buy more, I'd just watch less.

I pay for Netflix instant and cable gets paid for in my house. Not by me, but it gets paid for. There are things I want to see that aren't available to me on those options and I stream them.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I usually buy the original DVD's of the movies I like and want to rewatch! But I don't use to pay for the first time I watch it! Same thing with music! I am a compusive CD and vinyl buyer but never without knowing if it's good enough!

Actually, that is the very definition of the word. " To use or reproduce another's work for profit without permission. "
Hmm not according to dictionary.com

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/piracy

"the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc.:"

but I don't want to split hairs, I think you're probably right

I think wintertriangle's post is probably best though.

What I, and a lot of people do on here is different to your local pirate copies where you get the latest releases in poor quality put on to a disc and sold around.

I see it as kind of 'fair use', for 'educational' purposes. I get access to thousands of movies I would never be able to otherwise due to all sorts of barriers. I've viewed films all around the world that would be difficult to obtain under normal circumstances, and there's also the community aspect of everything as you explore new films.

I usually buy the original DVD's of the movies I like and want to rewatch! But I don't use to pay for the first time I watch it! Same thing with music! I am a compusive CD and vinyl buyer but never without knowing if it's good enough!
Same here, but with books, I always have to read it first and if it's good I wouldn't doubt in buying it.

And I agree with Tongo, to those who only want to watch it, that's okay I don't care, but to those who try to sell it, they're jerks.

I don't get the thinking that people who watch pirated films are ok to do so... someone somewhere along the line has made cash from it, just because you didn't pay for your pirate copy doesn't make it right.

As Foster just said, there are films out there that have been fundamentally damaged because of piracy.
I can't remember which one it was, but there was a movie about a year ago that made absolutely no profit because it was pirated online.

Piracy is piracy. Simply watching a pirated film and saying it's ok because you personally didn't pay the person who copied it, you're still supporting piracy.

I've never owned a pirated movie, and have only ever watched part of one, and that one was by accident as I didn't realise it was a copy until it started playing.
My friend leant me Sin City but I turned it off about 3 minutes in when I realised.

No big deal if someone just watches a film from the net.

Us little people are being ground into fodder by the corporate rich elite. The discrepancy between the rich and the working masses, is at an all time high...So I say it's justified to watch a movie from the net.

Trying to sell downloaded movies to others however...is bad. And if you buy one of those you're just as bad as the pirate. Besides you'll must likely get a crappy copy of the movie anyway.

A friend of mine bought a car from a guy...

... turns out that guy stole that car...

... I then had that stolen car off my friend, but I didn't hand over any cash for the car, so it's perfectly fine for me to drive it.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I can see if it's a current movie or one that's just out on DVD release. Heck it's so cheap to rent from Redbox that it wouldn't be worth it to me to not rent from there and go to the trouble of finding the movie instead if I'm wanting to watch a current major box office movie.

The other stuff that is not on Netflix, in the Redbox, or can't be found on cable, I stream.

No big deal if someone just watches a film from the net.

Us little people are being ground into fodder by the corporate rich elite. The discrepancy between the rich and the working masses, is at an all time high...So I say it's justified to watch a movie from the net.

Trying to sell downloaded movies to others however...is bad. And if you buy one of those you're just as bad as the pirate. Besides you'll must likely get a crappy copy of the movie anyway.
According to this forbes article:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/karstens...g-an-industry/

They are hiring fewer people and paying them less to balance out the losses of piracy. So you're not sticking it to the rich elite, you're sticking it to a poor gaffer.