Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Wait, so you are saying you actually had high expectations after seeing Horrible Bosses?
Yeah, I really liked Horrible Bosses so when I noticed they shared the same director, I expected to like this film too.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Delicatessen - 7/10

So I finally got to watch this last night, and I have to say that it was absolutely nothing like what I had expected it to be. I came in expecting some kind of cross between Sweeney Todd and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but ended up watching a mix of Sweeney Todd and Benny & Joon.. The romance scenes were great - quirky, earnest, funny - but the actual horror elements, and especially the subterranian bandit portions, fell a bit flat for me. Also, weirdly enough, I felt that the film dragged near and during its climax despite only being 99 minutes long. The musical scenes were all incredibly memorable and top-notch quality, though.

Charade (1963)

This has a great cast featuring Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Walter Matthau, James Coburn, and George Kennedy. I think it's a very good movie that most people would like. I just didn't personally love anything about it.

The Salvation
(2014, Denmark)
7.5/10

I soooo needed a Mads fix today. I decided to see if I could find his new movie "The Salvation" and I was not disappointed at all. When will bad guys learn you dont f*ck with Mads??? His performance was amazing. Eva Green did good job playing her role and Jeffrey Dean Morgan always plays a bad guy. If you like westerns, foreign films and revenge films, this is for you! Mads Mikkelsen is such a versatile actor, you can never go wrong with one of his films! The writer on the film was Anders Thomas Jensen, who has used Mads in 8 other films that he wrote or co-wrote.

Interesting fact (imdb)

The role of Jon's brother, Peter, was intended for Mads Mikkelsen's brother, Lars Mikkelsen. When he dropped out, Mads Mikkelsen suggested Mikael Persbrandt to replace him.

Pretty good doc following Cap N Video, who apparently was the original Jack Ass. Did a show on cable in the early 90's. Basically just shows off this one of a kind character. Entertaining watch.

Paprika (2006) -

Must see for fans of animation. At times not easy to follow, but the stunning animation more than makes up for it. I thought it was better than Millennium Actress, but not as good as Perfect Blue.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

The Brave Little Toaster (1987)

I just finished watching The Brave Little Toaster, and I really enjoyed this movie. It may not be good for very young children because it's kind of scary at times, and even somewhat depressing, but it's a very good movie. It's more than just a movie about appliances. It's about friendship and loyalty. It has some sad scenes, but it balances them out nicely with some happy scenes too. The voice actors are great, and it has a few good songs too.

I highly recommend this movie.

Must see for fans of animation. At times not easy to follow, but the stunning animation more than makes up for it. I thought it was better than Millennium Actress, but not as good as Perfect Blue.
Millennium Actress was his weakest for me the first time I watched it but it grew up on me.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Thumbelina (1994)

I liked Thumbelina, but it wasn't great. It has its flaws, including a poorly chosen supporting voice cast. The two main leads, (Thumbelina and the Prince) were both good choices, but I don't know who thought it was a good idea to use Gilbert Gottfried and Carol Channing. They are two of the most annoying voices. Most of the songs were only okay, with the only standout being the song "Let Me Be Your Wings". The story is okay, but it also has some minor issues.

Basically Thumbelina is a cute movie, but it won't give Disney a run for its money.

I would rate it somewhere between
and

Make a better place

Gone Girl

definitely one of my tip 3 movies of the year, so far

The Grifter

Kill The Irshman
I don't really know what I didn't like about this movie, but I just didn't like it

Grave of the Fireflies (1988)

I'd like to watch this again soon because I wasn't 100% enthralled throughout it's entirety. It's still up there with the most powerful movies I've seen. It's very memorable, and that's what I look for. I would consider this movie to be mandatory viewing.

I watched this movie dubbed in English. I wouldn't do that with a live action movie, but I figure with it being animated, it's dubbed anyway. Please let me know if I'm missing something with this.

The Hustler (1961)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

The Secret in Their Eyes.

A haunting movie experience, but it's a very mixed feeling I have about this film. When I threw it on, it seemed like a decent foreign language film, with a decent set-up, but it was not close to being amazing and I wasn't at all truly captured by it. But then suddenly it picked up and turned into a great mystery thriller drama. But then it went down a bit again and suddenly blew up in the end to near perfection.

So a second viewing is defiantly going to be needed to truly grasp this film, but I'm sure about the fact that I really like it I just have to get a better grasp of the story and the structure... By the way, that long take at the soccer stadium, holy f*ck! And that ending, damn!

The Brave Little Toaster.

Decent animated flick. I felt like the animation was a bit dull and time really hasn't been that good to it. Maybe if I had watched this as a kid the nostalgic factor had raised the bar for how I feel about it. It had some good themes, but overall I think it was a mixed bag. The story needed some focus, and was more like a combination of set-pieces than one single story. The characters was also underdeveloped and didn't evolve that natural to me.

And damn was it dark and depressing lol. Not that it bothers me, but holy **** there were some scenes in there that would have made me crap my diaper as a kid!

Lord High Filmquisitor
The Dead - 4/10

I guess that this is the thanks that I get for showing my girlfriend Delicatessen the other night. Despite not being a good movie by any stretch of the imagination, it is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The idea - a zombie outbreak in Africa as the reason for an American and an African to take a desperate road trip across the country - actually isn't all that bad. At times it struck me as trying to be the Lawrence of Arabia for zombies. It failed at this, of course, but it at least tried. It basically comes down to being a movie that's more ambitious than the quality of its creative talent would allow for. Bad, but one that I really can't fault all that much for its quality.