The Fifth Hall of Fame

Tools    

It kind of boils down to what you think is worth dying for, right? Obviously GB doesn't think the books in question were worth that kind of risk, I tend to agree.
Yeah, books aren't worth dying for but I don't think she knew that her life was at stake until it was too late.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I haven't seen Quills yet, but I'm all for breaking a law if the law is unjust.

I don't think books as a possession or object are worth dying for, but what they represent is.

I don't think books as a possession or object are worth dying for, but what they represent is.
Yes! I think freedom of expression is totally worth dying for.

Even what Fifty Shades Of Gray represents?

Winslet's character wasn't perfect, but who is? There was a clear villain in the movie, and that was Caine's character. As far a I was concerned, anybody who wasn't on his side was on the right side.

Even what Fifty Shades Of Gray represents?
I know you're joking, but I think even that book has a right to exist. It might not be as good, but Fifty Shades of Grey still represents the same thing War and Peace and The Great Gatsby does - freedom of expression. Admittedly, it also represents S&M, but who's to say that's wrong?

I know you're joking, but I think even that book has a right to exist. It might not be as good, but Fifty Shades of Grey still represents the same thing War and Peace and The Great Gatsby does - freedom of expression. Admittedly, it also represents S&M, but who's to say that's wrong?

That's the one. You have to wait a minute for my thoughts now though.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
It's not the books content that I have a problem with, it's the horrible writing. I do have a problem with some of the content actually, but not the sex stuff. It's a sex book, so you can't criticize it for being what it is. I don't know what was so shocking about it though. Those people must live very sheltered lives.

I know what you're saying. The book has a right to exist and if that's what people want to read, they have every right to. I will just silently judge them on their taste level.

I agree. One of my favorite quotes is, "If you don't believe in freedom of speech for those you disagree with than you don't believe in it at all." I'm paraphrasing. Anyway I thought about that a lot during this movie because Sade is a very unappealing character to me and I could care less about what he is writing. That isn't always a problem for me, but depending on how the character is framed it can be, and it was here. So I kept thinking how I would feel if this was a writer I loved, like C.S. Lewis. Obviously the movie would be much different but the point is I would have connected with the themes a lot more, which probably would make it a better viewing experience for me personally. So the question is, is this fair for Quills? I'm not sure, but it is how I feel.

Please don't misunderstand everyone, I did not hate Quills at all. I think it has something to say and is written in an entertaining way. I just didn't love this movie like I hope to something that will be in our HOF.

I watched Sideways earlier today, another great nomination. Overall it was an excellent buddy movie; i was in the perfect mood for this type of film today so i really enjoyed it. The strength of the movie obviously lies in it's script, for a film that almost entirely comprised of conversations, it was surprisingly funny and touching. I thought it was a really nice touch to have Mia bethe only one who would review Miles book, but i was a littly dissapointed with Jack getting happily married i expected a different ending for him tbh. Some of the scenes really killed me, especially the way Paul Giamatti delivered this line: Jack: If they want to drink Merlot, we're drinking Merlot. Miles: No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any ****ing Merlot! . Great choice Sean .

Either tomorrow or Saturday i'm going to watch Wages of Fear which will be my 7th, before taking a break from the Hall of Fame for a bit to watch a few more Animated films before the deadline.

With any luck, I'll be watching A Separation later today. It'll be my twelfth HOF watch. At this rate I'll probably have my ballot in before Thanksgiving.

I love that clip from Sideways
Same here. It's just how forceful he is about something like Wine, from a guy that had to rob his mum to even be there; if it was in a different langauge i'd have thought Jack suggested that they should beat a child .

Just finished A Separation.

Wow. That was really good. I really liked how real all of the characters felt and how nothing was black and white. Nobody was really truly to blame for what happened and yet nearly everybody had some little part in it and had deceived the others around them. And yet all of their actions were understandable and it was easy to sympathize with them all. Definitely a worthy nominee and probably my favorite so far.

Just finished A Separation.

Wow. That was really good. I really liked how real all of the characters felt and how nothing was black and white. Nobody was really truly to blame for what happened and yet nearly everybody had some little part in it and had deceived the others around them. And yet all of their actions were understandable and it was easy to sympathize with them all. Definitely a worthy nominee and probably my favorite so far.
Summed it up really well. Amazingly well written movie IMO.