The Mofo Top 100 Television Shows

Tools    

Yay Berlin Alexanderplatz! I had it 9th. Yay!

Happy?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I had "The Andy Griffith Show" in 5th and "Berlin Alexanderplantz" 11th. They are two drastically different shows. The first one has the wisest father I've seen on TV in the middle of a laid-back rural town inhabited by lovable eccentrics and one of the funniest, idiotic characters ever in Deputy Barney Fife (Don Knotts). The second is Rainer Werner Fassbinder's 15 1/2 hour magnum opus about the darkest parts of Berlin in the 1920s. Günter Lamprecht's monumental performance is the centerpiece of a detailed, complex story filled with irony, brutality, friendship and love, betrayal and acted by a humongous, terrific cast. Fassbinder stretches his artistic muscles by filming each episode in a different style, with great lighting, camerawork and music, culminating in a surrealistic epilogue which would make David Lynch envious. At times though, it's surprisingly gentle, and here's an example.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Yes, Spaced!

My #9.

Great series for film-lovers as there are so many film and pop culture references. On the dvd there are even special subtitles that point out all the film references, just in case you don't get them. My favourite episode is the one where they have to steal back a kidnapped dog while using Star Wars aliases.

If you like Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and The World's End, there's a good chance you'll like this.

Not seen Berlin Alexanderplantz and I've never liked Spaced, but then, I've never really liked Edgar Wright/Simon Pegg's stuff. Always found Jessica Stevenson quite attractive, though.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
72. The Prisoner (1967 - 1968)

Theme Song

Quote: I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.~ Number 6

A seventeen episode drama about a spy who is imprisoned on an island where he becomes known as number 6.

Fun fact: The Simpsons parody Prisoner in the episode The Computer Wore Menace Shoes with Homer in the role of number 6.

Legacy: Many shows such as Lost, The X-Files and Twin Peaks have been inspired by The Prisoner.

Unhappy ending: Patrick McGoohan has said that he deliberately made the ending confusing so that fans would argue and talk about it.

Placements: 1 4th, 1 5th, 1 9th

71. The Dick Van Dyke Show (1961-1966)

Theme Song

Quote: At least I'll prove one thing tonight: Television writers marry the prettiest girls. ~ Rob Petrie

A 60's sitcom starring Mary Tyler Moore and Dick Van Dyke. It revolves around a comedy writers home life.

In the five season the series ran it won a total of fifteen Emmys.

The Dick Van Dyke show is widely regarded as one of the best sitcoms in American television history.

Fun Fact: Rob and Laura (Dick and Mary) had to be shown sleeping in twin beds on the show, even though they were a married couple. Sitcoms have come a long way in that department.

Placements: 1 12th, 1 2nd, 1 3rd

Just here for the free donuts
The Prisoner is definitely going on my Need to Watch List. Sounds great.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
The Prisoner is definitely going on my Need to Watch List. Sounds great.
I was going to say that of all the shows that I haven't seen that is the one I am most interested in. I love shows like Lost so this looks right up my alley.

I've seen numerous The Dick Van Dyke Show clips, but never an episode.

OH

MY

GOD!!!

THE PRISONER MADE IT!!!!!

I had it on my list at #4. Absolutely one of my all-time favorites! You can all have your Lost and Twin Peaks (I like those shows too), I just want my Prisoner.

I AM NOT A NUMBER, I AM A FREE MAN!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I considered "The Prisoner" but it got cut in the final stage, but it's still a great show. I also liked Patrick McGoohan in "Secret Agent". I was the one who had "The Dick Van Dyke Show" at 12th. The cast of DVD, MTM, Rose Marie, Morey Amsterdam, Carl Reiner and Richard Deacon was consistently funny, and the shows went off on some surprisingly crazed tangents with what appeared to be ad-libbing. Carl Reiner had a hand in all the scripts, but he got some help from Jerry Belson and Garry Marshall on several. That's four for me.