Halloween Horror Challenge

Tools    

it's impossible to beat Mark hahaha but at least i'm second

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I don't understand all the hate for Haute Tension, it's one of my favourite horrors. I didn't think The Last Days On Mars was great, but it deserves a higher rating than that.
I love the film until the absurd ending, which makes all the events leading up to it, not only impossible, but a waste of my time. It's one of the few movies where I was in step with it until the ending. If it didn't go for the twist, it would have been a great addition to the horror genre, but it was tacked on to try and make a splash.

Hmm, now that I think about it maybe the ending was intentionally bad so people can remember it. Who knows.

Last Days on Mars...man, I'm sorry but I was bored to death by it.

Suspect's Reviews

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I love the film until the absurd ending, which makes all the events leading up to it, not only impossible, but a waste of my time. It's one of the few movies where I was in step with it until the ending. If it didn't go for the twist, it would have been a great addition to the horror genre, but it was tacked on to try and make a splash.

Hmm, now that I think about it maybe the ending was intentionally bad so people can remember it. Who knows.
^This. There is just no way to get around that ending. I'm all for suspending disbelief and for stories to have their own rules, but you have to write it in in some way. You can't just throw something out there and expect the audience to swallow it without some reasonable explanation.

It was the same problem I have with the movie Shy People. The director of that movie even went on record as saying he didn't really care how he got from A to B he just wanted something to happen, so it happened. Well, that makes for lousy storytelling. Too bad, because both of those movies could have been really good.

I have a few movies to list, but I'll wait since I'm watching a couple of more today.

Deliver Us from Evil

So, Sinister happens to be a horror movie that I really love and admire. It had its fair share of stupid jump scares and clichés, BUT what it was aiming for and what no other horror film really tries to do that often, is to DISTURB THE **** OUT OF YOU. Creepy, unsettling and just gets under you skin.

Now, Deliver Us from Evil is by the same director, which is a director I had high hopes for in horror. Still, I went into this with pretty low expectations. And still, it was bad. A story that felt more like a series of individual stories unprofessionally put together and with so many dumb and (as time passed by) annoying jump scares... And those last 20 minutes or so (mainly the exorcism part) felt like a ****ing parody on the genre to me. I was like "are they serious or nah?" What the **** was that???

Anyways, not good, really really disappointed with this one.

Movies: 10

Ginger Snaps Other people watching it made me want to see it again. When watching horror movies you can wade through a lot of schlock, so it's refreshing to see something smartly written and fun. Love this movie.

The Return Time to put on your schlock boots. Yawn fest of a movie starring vampire slayer turned scream queen Sarah Michelle Gellar. I loved her as Buffy but she has almost no presence in this supernatural snooze fest. You've seen it before even if you haven't. Girl has visions; they connect her to a killer, yada yada yada.

Nightbreed Under seen movie based on a novel by one of my favorites, Clive Barker who also directs. David Cronenberg plays the doctor and he's pretty damn creepy. The creatures are imaginative and interesting and Barker is a great story teller. Shout out to Deadite. He and I had this movie in common.

Nightmare Before Christmas I was going to save this one until Halloween night, but I'll watch it again. I never ever tire of this movie. The songs are genius and the world they inhabit is fantastic. I'd love to live there.

Magic So I'm doing a lot of rewatches, but this is the time of year to revisit the goodies. If you find ventriloquist dummies creepy, watch Magic. You'll never want to see a wooden dummy again. It's creeped out psychological horror at it's best with a tug of war of wills between dummy and ventriloquist.

Movies watched 20 points 26

Nature's Grave Huh? What? I don't get it. Apparently this is supposed to be a cautionary nature tale, but nothing ties together and makes sense at all. A married couple that hate each other go camping and some other people die but you don't know why. Can someone explain the sea cows to me?

Movies 21 points 27

Kill, Baby, Kill

As an example of Gothic horror, this Mario Bava film is definitely above average. Great sets and cinematography, with some creative scenes, but I'm not the biggest fan of Gothic horror, so it fails to really draw me in. But if that is your sort of thing, see it now. B+ (Like with Black Sabbath and Suspiria, I only had the option of watching the dubbed version.)

Movies-6
Points-7

X: The Man With the X-Ray Eyes

Ray Milland stars as a scientist who's developed a drug that allows the eyes to see more of the light spectrum than is naturally possible. Despite the sudden death of a lab monkey after a dosage of the drug, he (of course) is determined to test it on himself. While all seems fine at first...you know, besides a short period of incapacitation...he finds himself at a party where he can see through people's clothes, and then later he is able to correct a misdiagnosis by directing looking at the heart of a young patient. But like all tales of scientists who test bizarre experiments on themselves, this one takes a turn for the worse, into madness and beyond. Directed by the one and only Roger Corman and with an appearance by Don Rickles, it remains one of my very favorite movies, a true testament of what can be achieved in a low-budget B-movie.

Movies-7
Points-8

Wer -

Rather enjoyed this take on the 'werewolf' film. A few tweaks would have made it a lot better though like less use of the CGI blood because it looked really fake in parts where blood squirts out all over the place and they should have gone old school with that, and some dialogue/script changes - especially the ending because the very last use of dialogue was cringeworthy, I was sitting there thinking 'don't say it, don't say it' and the character said it... should have ended it at one particular scene.

Movies = 9
Points = 10

Sinister (2012) -
This was pretty good and dark. The ending nearly ruined it for me, but I liked the atmosphere quite a bit and Ethan Hawke puts in a very good performance.

Don't Look Now (1973) -
Misses the mark completely. I feel as though I'm cheating with this entry, I just don't see how one could consider this a horror film. Devoid of any thrills, scares, emotion or atmosphere, all these being essential for a horror. The acting is also quite poor for the most part, and that horrible fake blood in the end was like the icing on the cake. Would probably have rated it a popcorn higher if it had more naked Julie Christie.

Movies: 7

The Hammer 1958 version of Dracula is on in the UK tonight. BBC4 at 10pm. Slither is on Film4 at 11:55pm and more Hammer, with Dracula: Prince Of Darkness on horror channel at 2:40am.

Sinister (2012) -
This was pretty good and dark. The ending nearly ruined it for me, but I liked the atmosphere quite a bit and Ethan Hawke puts in a very good performance.

Don't Look Now (1973) -
Misses the mark completely. I feel as though I'm cheating with this entry, I just don't see how one could consider this a horror film. Devoid of any thrills, scares, emotion or atmosphere, all these being essential for a horror. The acting is also quite poor for the most part, and that horrible fake blood in the end was like the icing on the cake. Would probably have rated it a popcorn higher if it had more naked Julie Christie.

Movies: 7
The Ending was good in my opinion (Sinister) and let the door open for a sequel (2015) and yes glad you like it

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Final Destination

A fun ride from start to finish. A few students cheat death and he comes after them one by one in unique and gory ways. The fun thing about this film is seeing the elaborate set ups and execution of each death.

Final Destination 2

The sequel ups the gore, but becomes formulaic. The lack of Devon Sawa hurts the film, but the spectacular highway disaster is a highlight.

Final Destination 3

This time the disaster hits a roller coaster, no escape when you're strapped in. The series has strayed from originality and ups the sex and gore to try and find more fans. While I appreciate the gore, this is where the series has finally jumped ship from suspense and gone full on blood.

The Final Destination

Of course the title says it is THE final destination, but it isn't. The film is 3D, which is only added for the gimmick of stuff flying at your face. The worst in the series.

Final Destination 5

A bit better than the previous entry, still in 3D though. The deaths a more impressive, with more suspense. It tries to go back in the right direction, but it still lacks flavour.

Movies: 19

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Tremors 3: Back to Perfection (Brent Maddock, 2001)
Both Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward are gone now, and the whole concept is getting stretched very thin. PG-rating doesn't help either.

Pumpkinhead (Stan Winston, 1988)
The original almost resembles Americana at first, but then Lance Hendrickson basically sells his soul to the Devil by having a backwoods witch call forth Pumpkinhead to exact revenge. He soon sees the error of his ways.

Child’s Play 2 (John Lafia, 1990)
Probably up to the original with the highpoint being the finale in the Good Guys' doll factory.

Child’s Play 3 (Jack Bender, 1991)
Serviceable but weakish sequel tries to replicate the last one's finale, only this time in a carnival ride called The Devil's Lair.

Bride of Chucky (Ronny Yu, 1998)
Part 4 improves by having Jennifer Tilly along playing the ex-lover of the killer trapped inside Chucky. She later also gets trapped in a doll and the bizarre sex and violence escalates capped off by the inevitable conclusion.

28 Days Later… (Danny Boyle, 2002)
+ Inspired opening of a desolate London gives way to something resembling a zombie movie and the usual appearance of the military. Still, better than most.

Friday the 13th (Sean S. Cunningham, 1980)

Friday the 13th Part 2 (Steve Miner, 1981)

Friday the 13th Part III (Steve Miner, 1982)

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (Joseph Zito, 1984)
The plots are almost the same in all the first four films. The killer gradually changes in each though, from Jason's unseen mother to Jason running around in a gunny sack hood to wearing his trademark hockey mask. The suspense probably increases each film but it's never all that good.

Horsemen (Jonas Åkerlund, 2009)
Dennis Quaid in another SE7EN wannabe with killers taking their cue from the Bible's story of the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse. Elaborate buildup to a big letdown.

The Moth Diaries (Mary Harron, 2011)
Attractive female cast in a blah story about a new student at a private school who seems to have an unhealthy and perhaps unhuman control over some others. Tries to be subtle but ends up dull.

After Dusk They Come aka The Forgotten Ones (Jorg Ihle, 2009)
+ Relatively incompetent story about shipwreck victims being terrorized on an island by cannibalistic creatures who often look and sound like those in Predator, only much cheaper-looking.

75 Movies
80 Points