Where's the originality and creativity?

Tools    

Master of My Domain
I've been looking for them for years in today's films... but no luck whatsoever. Does anyone know about their whereabouts? What should be done to get them back? Let's discuss.

EDIT- I am talking about mainstream films.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It is there. Only not in mainstream cinema.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Everything's been done. Is originality really all that important these days?
Possibly more important than ever.

Sad thing that happens when something original and creative comes about, about 3-4 sequels & the studios make dozens and dozens of ripoffs.

Only movies out Im interested in seeing is Gone Girl, and maybe The Judge. I say maybe because it has the stars but is there a story?

The kicker is you have to look at all limited and mainstream venues to find something truly fresh. Even the independent market is a broken record. A "story first" motion picture company does not exist anywhere, mainstream or small.

...The problem is today's screenwriters don't care about the things I mentioned and only care about how they can get the most money.
That's always been true. Even back in Hollywood's Golden Era 1930s to 1950s, MANY films that were churned out where mind numbingly dumb and made only for money. Money has always been one of the key objectives in film making.

But the good news is great films are being made every day around the world. Just broaden what you watch and you'll find some gems. And don't forget to look into the past for truly great films.

But at least the studio heads back then LOVED film. Now they only love money. It's the same way with music (even worse shape than film), etc..
No they loved money. Always have, always will.

Agree with winter completely. Ultimately, people are getting what they want most of the time. So the problem isn't faceless studio heads or artless producers. It's that the vast majority of people see movies as a pleasant diversion and not a deep, rich art form.

Personally I think movies reflect everything else in society. We still get good, bad, big budget, small budget, well written, and poorly written. We just get a whole lot more of all of it. That makes the things you don't like all the more glaring. Every year I think is there even ten movies I loved this year, and inevitably when I go to make a list there are about fifteen. There is the rare year when there is five, but there is the rare year when there is twenty as well. Have no fear, creativity and originality are not dead. There are just a lot more people trying to create.

The studio heads don't care what is made, they care what sells. Blame yourself for the state of art in society.
There's nothing I can blame myself in this category, so I blame my plebs peers.

The problem is today's screenwriters don't care about the things I mentioned and only care about how they can get the most money.
Ah ah, it's not only about the screenwriters. Everyone nowdays is looking towards a goal that gives them money, everyone, writers, actors, and obviously everyone else, the so called doctors and teachers, the building constructors, the lawyers, all of them.

If everyone did what they love instead of what give them more money, well hell the world would be much better. Then again most of the people don't even know wtf they want.

Whatever, I don't want to dig too deep into this. It's in each person if they want to be a sucessful individual in their own eyes or not, and jesus some do what they love, which is being an individualist, orginal and unique, tho they're just a few ones and usually not very outstanding.

There you go OP the answer is they're there but sometimes it's hard to notice them, with that I mean the people whom make original unique things, because obviously someone have to put a step in.

Yeh I think other posters have nailed it. There is just a lot more stuff being made now and ultimately when its about money the majority of it is going to be relatively safe and designed to have mass appeal, or at least those projects are where a lot of the cash is going to flow. The more money involved the less 'risky' it will be. This does unfortunately mean that a lot of it is going to be bland, special effects filled mediocrity - tonnes of cash will be poured into remakes of already popular stuff and style over substance movies.

I think there is decent stuff being made, though you can't really expect it from big budget films. On our review site (gashfilms, cant post link yet ) we tend to review bad or unusual films. I have taken to reviewing current larger budget films because they are almost guaranteed to be horrible in some way and will wind me up (The Fault in Our Stars being the perfect example).

The most I expect from a big budget film is to be diverted for a while, its light entertainment.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I'd reckon that originality and creativity on a high level is not so easy to come by.

Lord High Filmquisitor
The studio heads don't care what is made, they care what sells. Blame yourself for the state of art in society.
You, Sir, hit the nail on the head.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
Originality is overrated in my opinion. Maybe I’m just weird but of my top ten favorite films only #3 is original. The other 9 are at least loosely based on something; a fairy tale, a TV show, historic events, a manga, a book, or a play and I wouldn’t love them any more or less if they were original stories.

I'd reckon that originality and creativity on a high level is not so easy to come by.
Good call. I reckon there'd be a lot of retread nonsense even in a system where (somehow) nobody had any budgetary or creative restrictions at all. It's not as if, if you gave everyone a film crew and $200 million, more than a tiny fraction of them would make something watchable, let alone good, let alone original and creative.

You could also argue that the more original, creative things we get, the harder it gets to be original and creative. I'm not entirely sure I believe this, but it's plausible.

True or not, though, it's definitely harder to satisfy our definitions of original/creative than it used to be, given the speed with which we can and do consume movies these days.