Rate the last album you've heard

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...

The Beards - The Beards

Absolutely horrible excuse for a novelty album. Basically amounts to four bearded white guys performing a bunch of songs about beards and how having them is awesome while not having them makes you comparable to Hitler. Musically, they don't suck, but the lyrics are more than enough to wreck the whole damn thing.

I’m just the espresso
THEO CHECKS OUT JJ'S RECS #1

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

Masterpiece, 5 stars, 10 out of 10, 100% would bang,

FAV TRACKS: BRING DA RUCKUS, C.R.E.A.M., DA MYSTERY OF CHESSBOXIN', METHOD MAN, PROTECT YA NECK, TEARZ

Insanely clever!!!!!!!! Some of the lyrics just straight up made me laugh but in a good way!!!!!!!!! Great stuff.

Let the night air cool you off
Awesome.

Yeezus
(Kanye West; 2013)

Kanye said in an interview that he really wanted to work on his drums for this album, he must have been really angry while doing this. The drums are so aggressive and confrontational, they are right in your face (ears) trying to fight you. For no reason, you aren't even the cause of their anger. They don't care. You are there. You are guilty by your presence alone. "Come at me, bro!" They exclaim. You are frightened. You freeze. You can't move. The drums overtake you. You lie on the ground, a crumpled heap.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I listened a random song from this Wu-Tang Clan CD and it starts with two blockheads thinking up some insults. I thought it's not the actual thing, because, I mean, is it possible to be so low? But then the music started and it only got worse. :P Oh, yeah, it's rap. :P

Okay, I listened another one and it starts with some guys screaming some swearwords... again. Then the actual music starts and is quite aggresive for a rap song. A little bit better than the previous one, but still not liking it. Another song starts with some shaolin commentary from a movie or something and then we get the same old sh*t.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Wouldn't mind if it had long takes of silence. Actually, 4'33'' is better than these songs. :P

Try Death Grips. Maybe you'll get something out of it. I'm already losing hope for you, but if you dislike Death Grips perhaps I shall lose all hope.

I already listened some of their stuff before and didn't like it. Tastes change with time, so I'll give 'em a try later.

I like dat!

Will listen to a whole album soon.

O.J. Simpson
(Guilty Simpson; 2010) beats -
, Richard Pryor sampling -
, overall rating -

Madlib produces this, and if you know anything about Madlib you know that the production on this record is going to be ace. Guilty Simpson is fine as an emcee, but the album ends up being all about the beats. He can't really match-up with the quality of the production, and it's a bit distracting. There's also too many skits, it's hard to stay in the music because it's constantly being interrupted with little sketches. There's just too much going on and not enough rapping over killer beats. It's too disjointed to be a classic, but it's still worthwhile.

Oh yeah, Madlib samples Richard Pryor. So, kudos for that.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I've been exploring Charles Mingus a lot lately, and I just listened to The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, which may just be my favorite of his albums. It explodes with such conflicting rhythms, personalities and emotions that all resonate clearly due to the fullness and sincerity of their expression,

A system of cells interlinked
Insomnium - Shadows of the Dying Sun

I've been exploring Charles Mingus a lot lately, and I just listened to The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, which may just be my favorite of his albums. It explodes with such conflicting rhythms, personalities and emotions that all resonate clearly due to the fullness and sincerity of their expression,
Can I have some jazz recommendations, bluedeed? I've pretty much only listened to Miles Davis, and just bits and pieces of Ellington, Monk, Mingus, and Brubeck. The only jazz musician that I would claim to know anything about is Miles Davis, and I don't really know all that much about him either.

Welcome to the human race...
Can I have some jazz recommendations, bluedeed? I've pretty much only listened to Miles Davis, and just bits and pieces of Ellington, Monk, Mingus, and Brubeck. The only jazz musician that I would claim to know anything about is Miles Davis, and I don't really know all that much about him either.
How much Davis have you heard, JJ? Obviously Kind of Blue is as good a starting point as any and 'Round About Midnight is another good album in that vein. I do like Davis's later stuff where he goes into fusion territory - In A Silent Way is a good introduction to that side of Davis and Bitches Brew is a real jump off the deep end, plus On the Corner and A Tribute to Jack Johnson are also good albums.

Aside from Davis...well, John Coltrane is another essential musician to get into. A Love Supreme is his best album and a good introduction to his work - I'd also recommend Giant Steps and My Favourite Things. In regards to Mingus, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is the best but Mingus Ah Um is probably a better introductory album.

Some other favourites:

Moanin' - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
Karma - Pharaoh Sanders
The Shape of Jazz to Come - Ornette Coleman

Back on-topic, last album I listened to was either The Real Thing or Angel Dust by Faith No More. Both of them would be about
in any case (though Angel Dust might be on its way to being
, but not yet).

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Iroqouis had some good recommendations (and I agree with his recommendation for a starting point with Mingus). Duke is obviously essential, Far East Suite is one of my favorites of his. Kind of Blue is essential as well. In addition to those, here are some of my favorite jazz musicians with one or two albums to check out:

Bill Evans - Explorations, Everybody Digs Bill Evans
Charles Mingus - Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Dave Brubeck - Time Out, Jazz Impressions of Japan
David Newman - Fathead
Dexter Gordon - Go!
Oscar Peterson - Oscar Peterson Trio Plus One
Paul Desmond - Bossa Antigua
Stan Getz - Getz/Gilberto, Stan Getz and the Oscar Peterson Trio, Getz Au Go Go
Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream, Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane

Among those, I'd say the first Stan Getz and Dave Brubeck are the best for the uninitiated, and my favorites among them are the Monk, Mingus, and Getz