Greatest books never made into a movie?

Tools    

I always have the same answer to this question...many years ago I read a novel called The Frontrunner, which was the story of a gay track coach who falls in love with one of his runners. There was brief talk about Paul Newman playing the lead in the film version before he died, but the film never came to fruition. It's a great book and I think it could make a terrific movie.

Not "great" by any stretch, but one of my favourite books from my early-mid teens was Jonathan Stroud's Amulet of Samarkand. I think it has the makings of a great movie in the right hands. Plans for a movie adaptation were released in 2008 but no news since then, so it's in all likelihood been scrapped.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
There still hasn't been a properly done mythology film, pick a country
Pasolini's Edipo re & Medea? Jancso's Szerelmem, Elektra?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

There's probably far more that I've forgotten that should be on this list than what I remember, but there's a lot of science fiction I'd like to see translated to film. IMO, science fiction in film pretty much sucks, and when I say that I mean real science fiction, not fantasy stuff like Star Wars.

I'd like to see Eon by Greg Bear made into an epic four hour marathon (or two films).

I'd like to see Hyperion by Dan Simmons made into a couple of films. I'd make the first two books in the series into a couple of films and not worry about the second two. The first half of that series is a very self-contained story and could work.

Outside sci-fi I'd like to see Palahniuk's Lullaby and Survivor made into films and I'd like someone else to make a new version of Choke. Nothing against Clark Gregg, but I was underwhelmed by his version of Choke.

I also wish someone would have the balls to make a 2 1/2+ version of Ender's Game where they actually, you know, show that Ender is a bad-ass instead of having all the characters say it over and over without him actually doing anything. That film would have been amazing if they had taken the time to show his struggles at the battle school and have more than two battles onscreen.

Marly and Me.

(I have to admit most of the movies I watch I really don't look up if there's a book or not behind it, so I haven't really seen that many or know if there's a book behind it, but I did read Marly and Me and then watch it. Obviously it's not the greatest, but I liked it)

Hothouse, one of the greatest Sci Fi novels that was never made into a film. I'm surprised too, as it would seem like the perfect vehicle for a an awesome CG Sci Fi movie with deep moral ramifications.

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
One of the truly great science fiction novels ever written that could be translated into film is:

A Canticle or Leibowitz by Walter M Millar (1960)

Set in a post-apocalyptic catholic monastery in the south-western desert of The United States - inspired by the allied bombing in World War II of the Monte Cassino monastery in Italy (which the author participated in), it has never been out of print and seen more than 2 dozen reprints- known world-wide and admired by fans of sci-fi, the general public and literary critics alike. A true masterpiece of 20th century literature.

Lord High Filmquisitor
For my money, I'd say Troll: A Love Story - a Finnish novel originally published under the much-better title Not Before Sundown. The novel follows a gay man named Angel, who is going through a series of romantic problems, after he rescues a Troll cub from being tormented by some neighborhood hoodlums. He nurses it back to health and keeps it as a pet, eventually entering into a sexual relationship with it (and the only genuinely reciprical romantic relationship of the entire narrative, of which there are a good thee or four).

I originally read this in my capstone English course for college. My professor chose all of the books for the course using the simple criteria of "the most disturbing books that [she] ever read for pleasure." The book is phenominally written, the characters deeply developed and the climax rivetting. I reread it twice more for pleasure that semester (plus again for when I wrote an end-of course paper on it).

Jurassic Park.

The film was great, but it wasn't the book.
It was a watered down Spielberg family film which only bared resemblance to the book through a few character names and the general idea of cloning dinosaurs.

Dean Koontz novel Winter Moon... sometimes referred to as "Invasion" when it was under Koontz's pseudonym Aaron Wolfe.

Mix of horror, suspense, thriller, a little action, and some sci-fi alien stuff.

Welcome to the human race...
A Confederacy of Dunces, though at least the lack of a film can be sort of explained by the supposed curse that looms over it.

In keeping with the sci-fi bent that the thread has taken, I'd like to see adaptations of Neuromancer and Snow Crash.

Marly and Me.

(I have to admit most of the movies I watch I really don't look up if there's a book or not behind it, so I haven't really seen that many or know if there's a book behind it, but I did read Marly and Me and then watch it. Obviously it's not the greatest, but I liked it)
This thread is for great books that have not yet been made into movies.
Marley and Me fails on both counts.