4th Movie Hall of Fame Nominations

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Jep. I agree with Daniel. PTA picked the usual Sandler persona, but placed him in a context that made the character actually interesting to follow. Sandler also is way more intense and focused in this film (probably because he was directed by PTA). His anger gets meaning and because the character becomes so much more relatable, the comedy also works better, in my opinion (it's sometimes very absurd, but at the same time we also understand him).
I don't know if it was this thread I posted this in but PTA is a fan of Adam Sandler movies so he did actually just make his version of an Adam Sandler movie. In PTA's movie we get the same Sandler character but now he has a reason and meaning to his character.

So apparently if you make an intelligent Sandler movie, I am a big fan of them.

See, now this makes sense. Adam Sadler films? No, I don't want to see them. PTA films? No, I don't want to see them. PTA version of Adam Sanler films? No, I didn't think I'd like it and, when I saw it, I didn't like it. And the universe makes sense again. Thanks, Godoggo.

Having seen this recently for the first time, I'd like to ask you what you saw in Sandler's performance that you liked so much. I agree with you about Watson. She's always so natural and I can't think of a bad performance from her. I know this just isn't for me, so I'm not asking you to explain why it's good, just what it was you liked about it. Everyone else seems to be in agreement that he's really good in this, but I don't see it as anything but a toned down version of what everyone else hates.
Everyone else has pretty much summed it up but what I bolded is important IMO. This wasn't toned down - this was the same character with far more depth. IMO PTA ramped up the character to make him an angry young man with family and mental health issues. It was the opposite of toned down to me.

Whether or not I like a character or an actor is immaterial to me (usually). It's what the director does with the character or actor that is important. Like you, I have never liked that standard Sandler character because he is shallow and largely un-interesting. In this though, that same character was given depth and reason. That's what I want all directors to do with their characters and it's why I'm generally quite negative about Hollywood films of the last 30 years. Look back to the 70s and earlier and Hollywood churned out characters with depth - now there is generally a cookie cutter approach which I hate.

In this PTA turned that approach on it's head.

Be thinking if you want to join the 5th Hall of Fame and what you want to nominate. I'll open a thread soon. I want to get that going before my vacation.

I have Tozeka and Camo joining in that one. I'd love to have some more new faces.

I've got to finish the rest of my movies. I think I may save two for my dad's house, but I'll get the rest before I leave.

Times growing close. Make sure you are pacing yourself so you have time to finish.

Revolutionary Girl Utena After starting this several times, I finally got to watch it straight through. Yeah, it was a bit weird and I don't think I understood everything, but I ended up liking this quite a bit.

It intrigued me in a way that I want to go back and watch it again to figure it all out and made me interested in the manga and series.

It had some feminist ideology that I found interesting.

I think it has the ability to grow on me even more. I liked it much more than PMMM (I liked it, but it didn't interest me to go any further with it.)

Guap, I haven't seen you lately, but have you read the manga? How does it compare?

Ed Wood

Wrote a longish post then clicked the wrong button Now I'm annoyed so will summarise my thoughts:

• I can never seem to get into Burton movies;
  • I don't like SJP;
  • Not keen on movies about movie people;
  • In some ways it celebrated much that is wrong with Hollywood IMO
Anyway, I just didn't really enjoy it apart from Depp and the Landaus. I certainly can't argue with anyone who enjoyed it - just didn't work for me unfortunately.

Ed Wood[*]In some ways it celebrated much that is wrong with Hollywood IMO
It did, but not in a way that makes excuses. It's a time capsule in a way. That's the only reason it doesn't bother me.

I guess I should say a bit more about Cherry Blossoms. Some of it was a bit obvious and overkill somewhat, but that didn't detract too much from the heart of the movie. It's very sensitive in dealing with themes of loss, regret and love.

I loved the relationship between Rudi and Trudi and how they were so different but were this couple that are two halves of one complete thing. I think that's what makes the latter part so poignant because I see him recognizing and confronting that part of him which was her.

Don't think I wrote anything about Bigger Than Life - if I did apologies

Bigger Than Life

This is the second Nicholas Ray film I've seen and I'd rate it slightly below the other one - In A Lonely Place. Not that that's really a bad thing - IALP was a great movie. Ray is a director that has impressed me a lot in the two movies I've seen but he isn't a director that gets talked about much so I don't usually think of him when I'm looking for new movies. I'll try to change that in the future.

Anyway, from what I can tell his movies have great depth and he seems to avoid many of the cinema cliches of the time that he was active. This was a movie that has stayed with me since watching it and I feel as though I will like it even more if I see it again. So much of it is memorable including some truly great scenes with fantastic use of shadows.

Enough rambling, I rated it
- straight after watching it but then raised that to
after I reassessed the ending and I think I may change that rating again before I need to submit my final list

I'm getting a little worried about a few of you. I want at least ten lists or I'm not sure about inducting two.

Is there anyone who needs more time? I'll give a time extension, but only if I have your word that you will watch all the movies.

i'm definitely going to finish but i may need a slight extension. i've been pretty busy lately, but i also don't feel like i've been doing everything i can to make time for movies like i used to. i shouldn't have too much of a problem pushing myself these last couple weeks though.

also, i watched Trouble in Paradise the other day and loved it. i watched The Shop Around the Corner before that and i think i liked it a little better, but they're both excellent. it will be very high on my list.

i also watched Autumn Sonata and i really liked that one too. it's my fifth Bergman and probably my second favorite after Scenes From a Marriage. usually his films leave me a little cold but this one didn't.

Not a problem, Inmate. I don't mind extending as long as I know the movies will get watched.

Does Oct 13th work for you?