Mofo Hall of Fame - The Shorts Edition

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Just a reminder that you have exactly two more weeks to get your lists in.

I've watched: Garden of Words The animation is so beautiful that I wanted to crawl into the screen and roam around in it. I found the ending a little abrupt, but other than that I really enjoyed this.

When It Rains I thought the way the music was used to bring complexity and richness to the simple narrative was brilliant.

I just want to make sure I am not missing anyone.

For the shorts HoF I should have lists from:

Guaporense
Gbgoodies
Thursday Next

For the other one I should have a list from JirraffeJustin.

If your name should be on either list contact me so I can see if I can find it.

I watched The Old Man and The Sea, and I must say it has grown on me. I don't love it nearly as much as Petrov's Dostoyevsky adaption for Dream of a Ridiculous Man, but this one was pretty good too. At first it felt childish, but by the time the sharks came it became a stronger film, admittedly I've never read the Hemingway book (the only one I have read is The Sun Also Rises), but i'd like to as I feel the film just needed to be longer. But it did leave a resonating message, and gains my respect the more I think of it.

I love The Old Man and the Sea. It's one of my favorites.

Just a reminder lists are due on the 28th. I'm watching the remaining shorts this weekend.

I only have three left to watch so I'm almost done.

I'm getting ready to watch the remaining nominations.

This is your one week notice . Lists must be in by the 28th. I can't make any extensions on this one, so I will just have to go with the lists I have by then.

I have a list from Jiraffe, Thursday Next, gbgoodies and Guap.

I've finished watching everything. I've got a couple of write ups due for both this and the 4th HoF. I'll try to get those done soon.

6 more days. About half of you have sent in lists.

Good, because I only have six lists now including mine.

Only four more days to get your lists in. No extensions on this one.

SEEN - 9

A Trip to the Moon (1902; George Mélies)
Un Chien Andalou (1929; Luis Bunuel)
High Note (1960; Chuck Jones)
La Jetée (Chris Marker; 1962)
Tango (Zbigniew Rybczynski, Poland 1981)
Darkness Light Darkness (1989 Jan Svankmajer)
Jidlo (1993 Jan Svankmajer)
The Wrong Trousers (1993 Nick Park)
When It Rains (Charles Burnett, 1995)

NOT SEEN - 3

The Old Man and The Sea (Alexander Petrov 1999)
La Lettre (2001 Michel Gondrey)
Garden of Words (2013, Makoto Shinkai)

Alright. Three left to watch. I'll watch all of them today and then I'll send in my list.

EDIT: Oh, I see there's a new inclusion in the first post. I'll watch that one as well then.

List sent

Quick thoughts on two films I didn't like:

Scorpio Rising: Most short films don't waste a minute into getting into the action, I feel like this wasted the full 30 minutes. Honestly there was nothing going on, but I can rock out to the soundtrack so there's that.

Garden of Words: I did really like the city animation and it has a charm at first, in fact I kind of fell in for the first half hour. Once the twist comes you really got to step back and consider what this really is about

WARNING: "Garden of the Words" spoilers below
It really is a pretty sick relationship between a teacher and a student. Honestly it's pedophilia just without the sex. I'm not going to feel pity for the teacher in anyway, and honestly it's pretty wrong that it's presented in a "cute" romantic way

And the scene where they're crying together

Two left (Scorpio Rising and Garden of the Words)

It will be extremely difficult to make a list. I really love most of the entries. I'll give my opinion about some of them once I'm finished with all of them.

I really like claymation. I don't know if anyone else has already mentioned these but I think I just spent time watching one of the most depressing and then one of the most disturbing films I've ever seen in short claymation, and I've seen a lot of Svankmajer! These are made by Suzie Templeton. Funny how something so short can affect you. I can't get Dog out of my head

Godoggo, or anyone who has an old dog - maybe you'd better not watch Dog

Dog
http://www.shortoftheweek.com/2007/10/01/dog/

Stanley
&noredirect=1

Alright, I'm finished. I'll put them in order now (which won't be an easy task) and then I'll send in my list!

EDIT: Done!