Folk Song Tournament

Tools    

1. Cat Stevens - Father and Son vs Harry McClintock - Big Rock Candy Mountain

2. Joan Baez - Diamonds & Rust vs John Denver - Leaving on a Jet Plane

3. Feist - Lonely Lonely vs
Donovan - Season of the Witch

4. Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime vs Everybody's Talkin'-Harry Nilsson

5. Joe Purdy-Worn Out Shoes vs Jim Croce - Bad, Bad Leroy Brown (that is one PURDY song!)

6. The Spinners - Maggie May vs Jake Bugg - Lightning Bolt

7. Peter, Paul and Mary - Puff The Magic Dragon vs Pink Floyd - If

8. Great Voices of Bulgaria Womens Choir - Pilentze Pee vs Bob Dylan ~ Song to Woody

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I'm glad people seem to be liking Jake Bugg
That was a really hard choice. I really liked Bugg a lot, but the other song is a favorite.

Match two is a tie. Always a tie. I posted in the shout box, so hopefully soon. If anyone can find an official tie breaker person who wants to only vote in the case of ties, that might be helpful.

Just here for the free donuts
I'm bummed that my Joe Purdy song got knocked out first round but it did put up a hell of a fight against a giant, Bad Bad Leroy Brown (only lost by 1 by my count) so that's pretty cool.

1. One Toke Over the Line-Brewer and Shipley vs
Judy Collins - Both Sides Now

2. I got you, Babe - Sonny and Cher vs Tan Sleeve - When Lindsey Buckingham Shaved His Beard

3. Ray Lamontagne-Jolene (Not a Dolly Parton cover, lest you be mistaken) vs Pete Seeger - Goodnight Irene

4. Sunshine Superman-Donovan vs
Mitch and Mickey - A Kiss At the End of the Rainbow

5. The Microphones - I Want Wind to Blow vs The Kingston Trio - Where Have All The Flowers Gone

6. The Dubliners and the Pogues - Irish Rover vs Mumford and Sons - Winter Winds

7. Donovan - Catch the Wind vs The Byrds - Turn, Turn, Turn

8. Van Morrison - Moondance vs Indigo Girls - Closer to Fine

2. I got you, Babe - Sonny and Cher vs Tan Sleeve - When Lindsey Buckingham Shaved His Beard

3. Ray Lamontagne-Jolene Not a Dolly Parton cover, lest you be mistaken) vs Pete Seeger - Goodnight Irene

5. The Microphones - I Want Wind to Blow vs The Kingston Trio - Where Have All The Flowers Gone

6. The Dubliners and the Pogues - Irish Rover vs Mumford and Sons - Winter Winds

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
1. One Toke Over the Line-Brewer and Shipley vs Judy Collins - Both Sides Now

This was tough because I really liked both songs, but Judy Collins has a beautiful voice, and I love the song "Both Sides Now", (Both this version and Neil Diamond's version).

2. I Got You, Babe - Sonny and Cher vs Tan Sleeve - When Lindsey Buckingham Shaved His Beard

3. Ray Lamontagne - Jolene (Not a Dolly Parton cover, lest you be mistaken) vs Pete Seeger - Goodnight Irene

While listening to the Ray Lamontagne song, I was trying was trying to figure out where I had heard his voice before, then I looked in the column of recommended songs on the YouTube page, and I saw his song "Trouble" listed, and I realized it was used in a commercial with a dog looking for a safe place to store his bone.

4. Sunshine Superman-Donovan vs Mitch and Mickey - A Kiss At the End of the Rainbow

I didn't really care much for the guy's voice, (from Mitch and Mickey), but the song "A Kiss At the End of the Rainbow" is a beautiful song.

I liked the song "Catch the Wind", but I love "Turn, Turn, Turn".

I like One Toke Over the :Line, but like Judy Collins voice, but isn't there a version where she sings it more slowly? I think there is and I like it better sung slow

loved this.

3. Ray Lamontagne-Jolene (Not a Dolly Parton cover, lest you be mistaken) vs Pete Seeger - Goodnight Irene

hard one. I've gone with Goodnight Irene cos it reminds me of parents sing songs

Where have all the Flowers Gone is of course a classic, but the Microphones has an intimate quality that's really appealing

no contest even if it wasn't my nom

loved those girls. will look for more of their stuff

Round 1/ Day 7

1. One Toke Over the Line-Brewer and Shipley vs*

4. Sunshine Superman-Donovan vs*

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name

I like One Toke Over the :Line, but like Judy Collins voice, but isn't there a version where she sings it more slowly? I think there is and I like it better sung slow
I think I've heard, and liked better, a slower version as well. Youtube's got a few slower live versions.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
1. One Toke Over the Line-Brewer and Shipley vs Judy Collins - Both Sides Now

Beautiful song with really great lyrics.

2. I got you, Babe Sonny and Cher vs Tan Sleeve When Lindsey Buckingham Shaved His Beard

Not crazy about either, but Tan Sleeve's became too long.

3. Ray Lamontagne-Jolene vs Pete Seeger - Goodnight Irene

Pretty impressive song. May've went with Irene if Leadbelly was doing it.

4. Sunshine Superman-Donovan vs Mitch and Mickey - A Kiss At the End of the Rainbow

A Kiss is simple, sweet, nice harmony here and there and Sunshine just runs on too long.

Agree with Christine about Wind but it also gets shaky, loses steam and thus it's novelty.

Irish Rover wins if it's over much quicker.

Tough. But I love the sweet little bend of this melody and it's intimacy with Donovan alone on his guitar.

Hard to vote against anything Van Morrison does.

1. One Toke Over the Line - Brewer and Shipley vs Judy Collins - Both Sides Now

2. I Got You, Babe - Sonny and Cher vs Tan Sleeve - When Lindsey Buckingham Shaved His Beard

3. Ray Lamontagne - Jolene vs Pete Seeger - Goodnight Irene

4. Sunshine Superman - Donovan vs Mitch and Mickey - A Kiss At the End of the Rainbow

Difficult choice, really like both