Edge of Tomorrow

→ in
Tools    

The most entertaining movie I've seen in a while.

I just saw Edge of Tomorrow, so I'm sorry if this review is a little bit late. But, I must say that this was one of the most fun times I've had at the theater in a while. I walked into this movie thinking it was going to be a bunch of action and some cheesy jokes thrown in every once in a while: and man, was I wrong. I was pleasantly surprised that this movie got as many laughs out of me as it did. There are some genuinely funny scenes in this movie, and they work well. They don't feel out of place or unnecessary, in fact they help move the story along in a unique and often times hilarious way.

Here's my synopsis of the movie: Tom Cruise kills a creature that gives him the power to come back again and again, so when he "dies" he wakes up back at the army base. (A lot like Groundhog Day) Anyway, his mission is to kill this Omega thing to save the human race or something. The story is a little confusing at first, but you learn to just go along with it and it starts to become clearer as the movie goes on. Seeing Tom Cruise fail over and over again in a darkly slapstick sort of way is quite funny and keeps the crowd interested.

The story is different from most stuff out there right now. I wouldn't say it's anything groundbreaking, but it's entertaining and different enough to keep your eyes on the screen. Now that we've talked about story, lets move on to actiing.

The acting is pretty good in this movie. There were only a few cases of noticeably bad acting, and they weren't too bad. One is a southern female character in "J Squad" who's accent seems to go back and forth and not quite seem constant. Bill Paxton's acting wasn't all that great but hey, does it need to be? He plays an exaggerated and goofy Master Sergeant and his goofy acting works for the character.

Tom Cruise wasn't that bad in this movie. I expected to be annoyed by his higher pitched voice and refused to see him as a badass when I saw the trailers. But, I actually ended up liking him. Cruise plays William Cage, a whiny and cowardly officer who doesn't want to be on the front lines. They actually didn't want you to like his character at the beginning of the movie, and that works out well. Seeing Cruise transform from a cowardly wimp to a bonafide killing machine is really rewarding.

Ok, enough Tom Cruise, lets move on to Emily Blunt. Emily Blunt delivers in this movie. You expect her to be a harsh and lethal trainer and soldier and she is. But underneath this tough disposition in the character, you can see real emotion and sadness. You can see that her character has been through a lot, and it takes real acting skill to combine all those traits into one character. Plus, she's not too bad on the eyes either.

I really did love this movie, but that's not to say I didn't have some problems with it. There are some parts of the story that were left out that could have been helpful. Also, I feel that many of the characters were too underdeveloped. For example: I feel that General Brigham (Brendan Gleeson's character) should have had more development and story behind him. And just about everyone in "J Squad" could have used more story behind them so we could truly be rooting for them in the final battle. I also feel that the scientist character should have had more back story and development. But these are minor things. Did the movie necessarily NEED these things? No. But would it have been better if it had these things? In my opinion, yes.

The camera work is about what you would expect from a movie like this. A lot of shaky camera during action scenes, which normally would turn me off to the whole movie, but in this case, it works. The action scenes are quick and frantic in a lot of instances and the shaky camera helps create that feeling. Plus, it's not super over used. You can still see what's going on in the scenes despite the shaky camera for the most part. I didn't mind it because I found the story more interesting than most of the action scenes. While the action scenes are great and really get your blood pumping, the training and buildup to those action scenes are even better. This movie takes story over action and I absolutely LOVE that about it.

Overall Edge of Tomorrow is a fun, mostly unique story, with quite a few good action scenes. If you're looking for a couple of hours to kill and want to see a fun movie that will thoroughly entertain you, watch Edge of Tomorrow.

Fire walk with me.

Good review tyler. I mostly agree although I think maybe I am a tick below your level of excitement. I also thought the ending had issues.

Good review tyler. I mostly agree although I think maybe I am a tick below your level of excitement. I also thought the ending had issues.
The ending was a bit sudden and slightly confusing I think

is it just me or can others see a ghost apparition (something like a little girl that suddenly hide) when tom cruise's character went inside the german dam close to the ending..
anyway, this is one nice movie..

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Great movie. Maybe not as brilliant as I was anticipating, but solid fun nonetheless. Cruise was great and proves yet again that he still has more than what it takes to carry a film.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Edge of Tomorrow was a surprisingly fun ride.

The storming the beach sequences were spectacularly filmed. I never lost track of where I was within the action. Too many films these days try to hide their shortcomings by having the immersive camera, which basically means shaky cam. This does not enhance the viewers experience in "war", it does the opposite. You'll have your audience squinting at the screen trying to see what the hell is going on. Liman manages to film the battle sequences beautifully, blending action, comedy and drama in all those sequences.

Wait, what? Comedy? Yes, this film is funny. Liman has fun with killing off Cruise multiple times in funny and unique ways.

Cruise is a coward when we meet him, trying his hardest to NOT be enlisted onto the front lines. But things don't work out for him and he finds himself waking up in cuffs and thrown into the war. No idea how to use his mech suit, no idea how to fight, no idea how to do anything, he finds himself in hellfire trying to stay alive. He doesn't last that long and ends up dying after blowing up an "Alpha" alien.

Rewind.

He wakes up again back in cuffs, alive. But how? What can he do differently to survive this time? Edge of Tomorrow takes a few minutes to explain to the audience why Cruise has this ability and what he must do to stop it, but other than that, this film is non-stop excitement. The editing here is crisp and benefits the story immensely. We are in Cruise's shoes at the beginning, learning what is going on, seeing the different outcomes for the first time and how it can be changed. Then, we find ourselves in Emily Blunt's shoes, experiencing events for the first time, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it hasn't happened already. Cruise reveals that he's been here before, despite the viewer never seeing this scene. Now we have no idea how many times he's gone back.

The third act raises the stakes a bit, I won't reveal why, but at that point it also tends to be a bit more generic and cliched. Other than Blunt and Cruise, we aren't really given much character development from others. Not needed really, but how are we suppose to care for the squad Cruise is with when they die? We don't.

I found myself asking questions after the film was over. Does every time Cruise die start a parallel universe ala Back to the Future? There was one particular sequence where he dies and it continues on for a little bit. We see what happens after he dies, so the question remains, does each time he die have that exact timeline continue on? OR is it simply that ONE timeline that continues to be reversed. Either way is possible.

I highly recommend seeing this film. I went in with low expectations and was more than surprised.

Suspect's Reviews

Definitely seems to be the consensus surprise of the year. Maybe something to be said for having low expectations. Although that didn't work for Oblivion. Good review Suspect.

Definitely seems to be the consensus surprise of the year. Maybe something to be said for having low expectations. Although that didn't work for Oblivion. Good review Suspect.
The difference between this and Oblivion was more that Edge of Tomorrow is actually good.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
same with me, rather enjoyed Oblivion and wanting to see this one even more than i originally did

Thanks for the excellent reviews, tyler and usualsupsects!

Great movie. Maybe not as brilliant as I was anticipating, but solid fun nonetheless. Cruise was great and proves yet again that he still has more than what it takes to carry a film.

This is a Great movie.
BUT CAN SOMEBODY EXPLAIN THE ENDING. I'M SOOOO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!

I've just realised this movie I started a thread on back in 2012... http://www.movieforums.com/community...highlight=kill

I got thinking about the upcoming Cruise movie All You Need Is Kill and wondered what happened to it as I never saw anything on it after I made the thread. They obviously changed the title before release.

I really enjoyed this film, but felt that it wasnt as great as people said it was. I was expecting an amazing movie due to word of mouth, but it turned out to be a pretty enjoyable film. 7/10 in my opinion.

decent action flick with Tom ''overrated'' Cruise ... I give it a 6.5/10

This is a Great movie.
BUT CAN SOMEBODY EXPLAIN THE ENDING. I'M SOOOO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!
WARNING: "cv" spoilers below
Within the movie, Tom get's the alpha's blood on him which causes the time resets. near the end, he gets a blood transfusion and loses it. at the end the brain's blood soaks in to him as he's dying (just like the alphas), which gives him back the time reset (probably the last one). Time resets to earlier, but the creatures are dead.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I've just realised this movie I started a thread on back in 2012... http://www.movieforums.com/community...highlight=kill

I got thinking about the upcoming Cruise movie All You Need Is Kill and wondered what happened to it as I never saw anything on it after I made the thread. They obviously changed the title before release.
They changed the title for the DVD release too.

LIVE. DIE. REPEAT: Edge of Tomorrow.

Very nice review, i want to watch the movie because of your review