Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I like The Village. I didn't really like the twist, but that didn't effect my opinion of the over all movie.
Which twist? Because the whole part about them being in modern times the entire time was ****ing brilliant. It solidified all the reasons that the elders "became" the monsters. It showed what length they would go to, to protect their village from the outside world. Loved it!

"#GAMEOVER420BLAZIT" -bluedeed

The Rules of Attraction

Just got done watching The Rules of Attraction. For those who don't know this is an adaption of a Bret Easton Ellis novel, which makes if amazing! I love American Psycho and even though this movie is completely different, you can definitely tell it comes from Ellis' twisted yet brilliant mind. IMO this movie is completely underrated. I think it's a great character study film. It's more truthful about what goes through students mind than what a standard romance movie would. Lions Gate chose to distribute this as a romantic comdey, which IMO it is not! It is about love, but it's more about the characters and their emotions. Great film, if you haven't seen it, I recommend you give it a watch.

Fat Girl (2001)

A little known French movie would seem like an odd choice for me. I picked it because it was on someone's list of disturbing movies in a video I watched on YouTube. It's basically, and I'm not sure how to explain this, a sexual coming of age story with 2 sisters? You've got the pretty 15 year old, and the heavier 12 year old. Most of the movie is bleak, but unremarkable, until you get the out of nowhere, wtf ending. I don't know who I'd recommend this to besides maybe Tokeza; this reminds me of a movie he loves. Movie Gal or Minio, maybe?

Cricket.. Im a Catherine Briellat fan.... My favorite by her is "The Anatomy of Hell"

12 Angry Men

This is the first black & white movie I have seen in a loooong time. Which makes it the first I'm going to give a real review to. First off, I think I should point of this was Sidney Lumet's directorial debut!!! How is that even possible! I don't care that the whole movie took place in 1 room. This was beautifully directed. However it would have fallen apart if it wasn't for the magnificent writing! They give a whole murder mystery and a court room drama from one room without showing you any other scenes or exposition. I find that genius. It was like reading a book. You had to imagine what everything looked like yourself. I can't believe I waited so long to see this movie.

Anatomy of Hell (2004)

I don't know MovieGal; this seems like a strange movie to be a fan of. I do find the director to be interesting, but this movie was kind of nauseating.

Also watched The Children's Hour (1961) for the 2nd time in 3 weeks-very good movie,

Finished here. It's been fun.

Dumbo
-

The animation in this film is lovely and there is a truly poetic beauty to a handful of scenes. I don't care what anyone says, the aesthetic beauty of hand-drawn animation will always be superior to anything made by computers. The story is charming, and the characters are very likable as well. For 70-minute film it does have some pacing issues however, as a few segments happen to overstay their welcome. Other than minor issues like that, Dumbo is a very enjoyable film and a lock for my animated movies list.

Anatomy of Hell (2004)

I don't know MovieGal; this seems like a strange movie to be a fan of. I do find the director to be interesting, but this movie was kind of nauseating.

Also watched The Children's Hour (1961) for the 2nd time in 3 weeks-very good movie,
Catherine Briellat films are very "unique". She deals with a lot of feminine issues in her film.

And she's certainly not afraid to show them up close
it must have been the part with the "stuck up" that got to you......

Viridiana (1961)

Another impressive movie from this director, *who takes material that I would seemingly have no interest in, but yet keeps me engaged.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Love your rating system! Impressive flick!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Yeah, it's weird to see people liking films with a rating of
whereas a rating like that from me is something like MASH that I really didn't care for at all, but respect some of the pieces of it.

It's all in how one interrupts the rating scale.

Is a 2 1/2 out of 5 which is midway.

I would say
means an average film. Some might say it denotes a stinker.

On the hand
To me would mean perfection. I'm not sure if I've ever seen the perfect movie.

I would say
means an average film.
But the rating doesn't fit with the film being "impressive," as Cricket called it - right before giving it a

I would never describe something as "impressive" if I consider it to be only average.

That's true. Impressive would seem to warrant a higher rating than 2 1/2.

But I was speaking more of my own dilemma when rating. If I find a film average and give it 2 1/2, do others think that is a low score? or average score? what do you guys think?

Phone Booth (2002)
Joel Schumacher

- Wow impressive ! Very nice thriller set by Schumacher in my opinion one of his best movie with awesome acting by Colin Farrell... I don't know If I can call it a ''Character Study'' but in my opinion it's a one-man show by Farrell with good performance in the other hands by Forest Whitaker but nothing more. The whole movie is a blast imo.

+

Lawless (2012)
John Hillcoat

- Very good acting and nice storyline. I like this little non-western entertaining flick with Guy Pearce as the vilain with the Three Bondurant Brothers. Tom Hardy is good and LaBeouf (surprisely) is the best actor in this movie imo. The Ending is a little bit disappointing but other things are well done so very nice movie

+

That's true. Impressive would seem to warrant a higher rating than 2 1/2.

But I was speaking more of my own dilemma when rating. If I find a film average and give it 2 1/2, do others think that is a low score? or average score? what do you guys think?
I think cricket rates as he likes it. For example, 2001 is an impressive piece of filmmaking. Inventive and beautifully shot. Despite that, it's boring as hell, cold and emotionless. I don't like watching it. Which is why it does so badly from me. Any rating I give it is only because of what it is. If I was rating it on how much like it, how much I enjoy watching it, etc, it's a
at best all day long.

I don't know if this is what cricket does, but when you see his description of something and he uses words such as "impressive" and gives it
then I think it's a logical conclusion. I think what he's saying is "I can see why this is a good film, but I didn't really get into it. It didn't entertain or engage me enough to make it worth a higher rating. Despite that, it appreciate it for what it is. Therefore it's a 2/5"

Whereas I go, "what a boring piece of crap. Why would anyone choose to watch that more than once?" and rate it 1/5.