The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Apocalypse Now was my number 19. A good film that is in my top 100. I haven't seen it in some time though, so I definitely think a rewatch should be on the agenda.

I can't find my list so i'm not exactly sure where i had Apocalypse Now, but i think it was 7th or 8th that makes 15 from my list. One of my favourite war films i've only seen it twice and not in about a year and a half so it could've been higher or lower if i rewatched it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Star Wars is going to be higher than #5, because Empire Strikes Back was #5 on the '80s Countdown.

I wouldn't be surprised if Star Wars is lower than top 5 because The Empire Strikes Back is a better movie than Star Wars.

I wouldn't be surprised if Star Wars is lower than top 5 because The Empire Strikes Back is a better movie than Star Wars.
Yeah, but it's the first one. Sequels rarely get more respect overall. Except maybe The Road Warrior -- that was higher than Mad Max. But only very slightly. Star Wars is a major '70s phenomenon. I think it will be in the Top 3, if not #1.

Yeah, but it's the first one. Sequels rarely get more respect overall. Except maybe The Road Warrior -- that was higher than Mad Max. But only very slightly. Star Wars is a major '70s phenomenon. I think it will be in the Top 3, if not #1.
Other occasions (at least for me) include Terminator 2, Clerks 2 (blasphemy to some), and while I have not seen these movies in years, I preferred Nightmare on Elm Street III to the original.

Other occasions (at least for me) include Terminator 2, Clerks 2 (blasphemy to some), and while I have not seen these movies in years, I preferred Nightmare on Elm Street III to the original.
All very good examples of improved sequels.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Dog day Afternoon - #22

I just recently watched this film a few years ago. Hostage / Heist films are always interesting to me and I look for them to find ways to make the generic story interesting. Dog Day Afternoon does this in spades and watching hostage films today, you can see how influential this entry was to the genre. ATTICA ATTICA ATTICA!!!!

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - #24

I hated a lot of these characters and I loved when they met their demise with the end of a bloody chainsaw. When we first meet him, sliding the sheet metal door open and slamming that mallet into an unsuspecting head, you've just seen one of the best introductions to a horror icon...ever.

Halloween - #7

John Carpenter gave us a simplistic horror. Why does Jason kill people? Because he they killed his mother and he drowned in a lake. Why does Freddy kill people? Because he's getting revenge on the children of the parents who burned him alive in the boiler room. Why does Michael kill people? Because he is PURE EVIL.

Young Frankenstein - #19

Hilarious. Simply put. I rated this higher than Blazing Saddles because the genre is geared to what I like.

Love is the only thing that can save this poor creature, and I am going to convince him that he is loved even at the cost of my own life. No matter what you hear in there, no matter how cruelly I beg you, no matter how terribly I may scream, do not open this door or you will undo everything I have worked for. Do you understand? Do not open this door.

Monty Python & The Holy Grail - #9

I didn't know what to make of this film when I first watched it. I was left scratching my head when it ended. What I did know was that it was funny. When I re-watched it years later, then I realized the genius that was the comedy.

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

The Exorcist - #23

It took me FOREVER to watch this film, out of fear. Not out of fear that the film would be too scary for me, but the fear that it wouldn't live up to the massive expectations that I would undoubtably put upon it. Is it scary? Not really. But damn, it is one hell of a film to watch.

Rocky - #20

A true underdog story. I love the over the top stupidity of the sequels, but this film will get you up, off your feet and cheering. I'm so happy they ended it the way they did. It felt true to the story.

Apocalypse Now - #18

One of the definitive war films and one hell of a behind the scenes backstory. Avoid the Redux version, as it DRAGS on and on.

Suspect's Reviews

Wow, Suspect had Chainsaw and Rocky on his list? Maybe he should win Survivor 3.

I WANT 8.

When we first meet him, sliding the sheet metal door open and slamming that mallet into an unsuspecting head, you've just seen one of the best introductions to a horror icon...ever.
Actually, the sheet metal door is already open. Leatherface merely appears in the doorway, kills the guy then SLAMS the sheet metal door shut.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Time's running out for my #8, my #15, my #23 and my #24.

But Apocalypse Now was my #11.

I've owned this film in so many editions now. All I need is Beardy Frank to fancy another pension top-up, ally with his old mate Beardy George and release Apocalypse Now Re-Redux with an animatronic Brando in newly filmed scenes (Harrison Ford got a note from his mum excusing him) and Jar Jar Hopper.

"Saigon ... sh*t..."