MoFo Lists

Tools    

Yeah, there's a big line of demarcation between disagreeing with something and tacking on "are you stupid?" or "what's wrong with you?" Let's stay on the other side of it, please.

That's because metal is obviously enormously superior to anything else and I do not care for those poor beings who fail to understand it's greatness.
*its

--------------------

A MoFo top 50 silent films list in the faraway future could be interesting, by the way.

I'll start a thread so we can vote on whether we want animation or silent next.
Who does a thing like that? Democracy? Have some respect!
Apparently I hit a nerve; I just recieved a very pleasant post comment from raul informing me he'd like me to "go away," except in significantly less polite language.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
I've waded into this by chance just one point to make:

I like how Guap bemoans the insular nature of all western animation, yet all of his favourite animation comes from one of the more insular cultures in the world: Japan.

Reviews

Other lists (like maybe one of the foreign ones mentioned earlier) are definitely incoming soon, but to tide you over, here's the Top Films of the 1970s list, concluded just this morning:

Movie Forums: Top Films of the 1970s

And if you haven't already, don't forget to check out the bonus podcast I did with Holden where he goes behind the scenes of the tabulation and we talk about some of the cooler stats and surprises.

I'm okay with us doing our own documentaries list, but can we put up the Sight and Sound's recent documentaries list as well? I'd like to use it to start exploring some good docs.

I'd like to use it to start exploring some good docs.
You know, it doesn't have to be on a list in the forum's Lists section for you to explore.

Also, TSPDT is doing a 1000 Noir Films. There's no ranking except for a "first 100" which isn't ranked either, but it could be good for finding movies to watch.

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/noir1000.htm
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Yeah, that's what I had in mind--an external Documentaries list for the time being. And that'll probably be the one.

That said, I need to spruce up the Lists area a bit, too, so it might make sense to do this all at once.

You know, it doesn't have to be on a list in the forum's Lists section for you to explore.
For sure, just being able to check it off would make it easier. I also think it's a good list.

Yeah, it's time to get some of that pretty artwork involved, and find a way to display larger number of lists more coherently.

Only question is whether or not I roll in some new features, or do the facelift separate/first...

I like the images above the list!

Here's a little thought, though:

The film that's placed at number 1 gets a big picture, and the numbers 2-10 get smaller pictures. This format works perfectly with the MoFo lists or the top 100 AFI films, etc.

It does however look a little awkward with the lists that have no particular order to them (for instance the film noir list or the Ebert list). Maybe (if it's possible) you could make a different arrangement for those lists?

It doesn't truly bother me, but I was just thinking that the concept gets a little lost with lists that have no particular order to them.

The film that's placed at number 1 gets a big picture, and the numbers 2-10 get smaller pictures. This format works perfectly with the MoFo lists or the top 100 AFI films, etc.
This is how it is now, no? Except that it only goes up to 9 instead of 10. But that's unavoidable, given the way the space is laid out. Or was this not a suggestion, but you just setting the stage by describing what's there now?

It does however look a little awkward with the lists that have no particular order to them (for instance the film noir list or the Ebert list). Maybe (if it's possible) you could make a different arrangement for those lists?

It doesn't truly bother me, but I was just thinking that the concept gets a little lost with lists that have no particular order to them.
Yeah, that bugged me a little too. Thinking of using a slightly different format (like three moderately sized images) and/or randomizing which ones show. What do you guys think?