The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've got visions of honeykid's movie collection consisting solely of Robin Askwith films...

I think The Long Goodbye has the coolness factor that gets overvalued sometimes. I can easily see why it can be a favorite for any individual, but it seems like a very high placement in a group vote. I think part of the high placement is also due to it being a very hot watch with the forum's members during this countdown's preparation. I liked the movie a lot, but I didn't vote for it.

I watched the 3 big Tarkovsky films for this list, and for a single watch, I liked Stalker the best. I think if I were to watch all 3 films again, it would be my least favorite as I believe The Mirror and Solaris have much higher potential for me. I respect all 3 movies, but they are tough for me.

It was only a matter of time before Stalker and The Long Goodbye showed up, given how beloved they are on this forum. I watched both movies prior to the countdown and wrote a review about each one. (You can read the Stalker review here; The Long Goodbye review I'm not particularly happy with, so no link to that ).

I was very impressed with Stalker. It would've fallen in the 26-30 range of my list, and probably would've made my top 25 if I had seen it more than once. The Long Goodbye, on the other hand, I found slightly disappointing, but only because of inflated expectations. I still gave it
and I enjoyed all of its idiosyncrasies and its laid-back nature.

One of the many things I love about The Long Goodbye is the music. Except for two brief flourishes of "Hooray for Hollywood" that open and close the movie, every other piece of music heard in the body of the film are only variations on John Williams' theme. A few of my favorites are when it is heard as "Musak" in the grocery store, the piano player in a bar ("The Bob Newhart Show"'s Jack Riley) who complains, "Gotta learn this goddamn thing....", and the first time that Marlowe ventures to the small Mexican town and it is heard as both a guitar piece and a funeral march played by passing trumpeters.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I've got visions of honeykid's movie collection consisting solely of Robin Askwith films...
I do have a few, but not the ones you're thinking of. 70's horror rather than sex comedies. There is one film of his that I've recently become aware of that I really do want to see, though.

You can see my collection, well, the DVD's anyway, here.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=19419

Four great films. Aguirre was the only one not on my list, but it probably should have been.

Stalker was 15th. A powerful film that raises many questions about faith and humans in general, I was blown away by it when I saw it and found the ending to be extremely powerful and effective, I think a lot of comparisons can be made to The Wizard of Oz in how it deals with a 'man behind the curtain' guiding others with the promises of different rewards, and the characters' strengths are tested at various points that allows many different themes to be touched on as they struggle.

McCabe & Mrs. Miller was 4th. One of my favourite Westerns. There is just so much to love about it, I love how we get to witness the creation of the town, starting from pretty much nothing, the title characters have an odd chemistry and there's something to love about their relationship, I think it's a great sort of 'ballad' of someone's life, one of my favourite scenes is where McCabe goes to meet a newcomer to the town who seems to finally be his match, all that and there's the fantastic haunting score from Leonard Cohen.

The Long Goodbye was 1st. I rewatched it just before I sent in my list, with my brother, so that's why it took that spot. I have wrote an awful lot about it on here before, and if I could be bothered I would go back and copy my posts about it into here. A fantastic satire on the noir genre with Elliott Gould perfect as a many so obviously out of place and oblivious to the 70s culture and what is going on around him. There's so much to love here, the film has a fantastic sense of humour, lots of quotable dialogue, classic Altman roaming camera and overlapping conversations and great oddball villains, with my last viewing I thought the ending worked perfectly too, everything comes together great despite it being a bit messy at times.

Stalker is again one of those films that I admired a lot, while not particularly loving it. It's still a film I keep thinking about from time to time, though (recently, I compared it to The Forbidden Planet in my review thread, because of the similar themes, for instance), so it did certainly have a kind of thematical resonance for me. It's a slow, but visually piercing piece of cinema that I will definitely rewatch in the future with the hope of getting even more out of it philosophically than I already did.

-------------------------------------------

I was one of the four people who had The Long Goodbye at number 6! It's probably my second favorite Altman film. It looks cool, it's funny, it offers a very clever twist on one of my favorite movie genres and the film just has a certain mood to it that truly gets to me somehow. The multiple versions of the theme song playing throughout the film, Gould's dry performance, the visual style of the picture, the supporting characters, the noirish, but also sexually revolutionized L.A. environment, the complex plot, the first scene, the ending, ... It all works brilliantly for me. I'm very glad to see that so many people here love it as much as I do.

-------------------------------------------

20. Stalker –

19. The Long Goodbye –
+ #6 on my list!

1. The Long Goodbye
2. Le Cercle Rouge
3. Nashville
4. McCabe & Mrs. Miller
5. The Conformist
6. Walkabout
7. Five Easy Pieces
8. ???
9. Eraserhead
10. ???
11. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
12. ???
13. ???
14. The Mirror
15. Stalker
16. The Spirit of the Beehive
17. ???
18. ???
19. Don't Look Now
20. American Graffiti
21. ???
22. ???
23. ???
24. ???
25. ???

51/80 seen.

Stalker was my #5, an absolutely phenomenal film. For the longest time it was my favourite of Tarkovsky's films, but it recently dropped behind what turned out to be my #1 pick: The Mirror after I re-watched both films. Tarkovsky was the only director to appear twice on my list.

I love The Long Goodbye, but it wasn't on my list.

Look at me I had a perfect prediction! Stalker at number 20 on the list was my number 20 too.
I like it mainly for its visuals, I'm not even bothered about understanding it or putting any kind of meaning to it, just let me look at it and I'm happy.

The Long Goodbye was my #6 and I consider it one of my favorite movies. Fantastic characters and tone. The beer bottle scene is brutal in the best possible way. Top five all time ending for me as well.

Stalker is very good, saw it for the first time last year. Missed my list but had a shot for sure.

1. Top 10 Easy, most likely top 5, Maybe Top 3 or even Number 1
2. Top 10 -15
3. Stalker (20)
4. Blazing Saddles (33)
5. Eraserhead (26)
6. Nope
7. Dirty Harry (34)
8. Dawn of the Dead (35)
9. 101
10. Top 10
11. Mean Streets (77)
12. Superman (23)
13. Rocky Horror Picture Show (46)
14. Top 10
15. Mad Max (70)
16. Nope
17. Top 20
18. Nope
19. I would think Top 20
20. Safe bet for number 1.
21. Should be coming very soon.
22. Top 10
23. Top 10 or 15.
24. All the President’s Men (75)
25. Network (32)

Here's what I wrote about The Long Goodbye on initial viewing

The Long Goodbye (1973)
Robert Altman's "The Long Goodbye" isn't only in my mind his greatest achievment, it is one of the ten greatest film I've seen to date. It follows the private detector Phillip Marlowe who had had other appearances in film. This time around he was played by the amazing Elliot Gould, who fits his role like a custom made glove. If that even exists. Marlowe was a wise guy, everyone saw it, and everyone has an opinion of Marlowe. We seem him shocked once in the movie, it was the coke bottle scene. One of the few scenes of true violence in the film. It's a scarring and relentless scene, and Marlowe is visibly shaken. For the rest of the film he's wise as can be, and walks around as if he's invincible. No matter what's going on in the back of his mind, he's concerned with his cat who ran away. We never know the fate of his cat, and we can only hope it doesn't turn out like his other friend. Both of his pals are gone by the end, Marlowe doesn't sweat it though.

There's a lot to be said about the similarities between this and Polanski's "Chinatown", another one of my favorites. Both have a smart ass detective, who's sly but never boastful. In Polanski's film the detective is played by Jack Nicholson. Who in my mind has obvious similarities with Elliot Gould. Both detectives revolve around the woman who's involved in there case, and the woman in both films views them as puppets. Both women have a breakdown forced by the detective. The sexual tension is so familiar, and these films only have a year between one another. They both deal with corruption in the police force and cover ups. "Chinatown" digs much deeper, but Robert Altman exposes it too.

I believe Mr.Ebert described Marlow's character the best. He lives in the seventies but him mind is in the fifties. He's the odd man out in this film, he dresses differently, talks independently, and is the lone man in smoking. The only man similar to him is Mr. Wade, played by Sterling Hayden, with his shaggy beard and dirty habits. But even he the alcoholic is more blended into the crowd. The film has three scenes that stick. Three of the finest scenes in film history. The coke bottle, which I already spoke on. The public argument as drowning scene, which Gould, Hayden, and Pallandt show us true acting all at once. And finally the concluding scene, the wieght off the shoulder, the revenge. They were perfectly shot, and truly this was flawless in a technical sense. The camera work, the sound track, the writing, it was brilliant film noir.

The scenes were captivating picture of symmetry. We have the black and white Marlowe in the middle, then we flowery colors and trees forming a wall around him. I view this film a true craftsman ship. Everything fit, not a thing out of place. I feel like the elusiveness is what makes it great, we never know the true color of the main characters. They are covered with something outside them. We see there baggage, but not there thoughts. The audience doesn't know what the thought process behind these people are. Making anything possible, it all unwraps itself, with twists and turns. I've called Altman dry many times before, but this was far from boring. Despite having long in the title, this is an entertaining film, that I loved. It's amongst my ten favorites now, and I'm sure I'll only enjoy it more as time goes on.
++

I'll be back to review my other watches probably next week
Love that film, my number 3

Stalker is decent, I find Solaris to be the better film. They share a lot of elements though.

1.Top 3 could win
2.Top 3 could win
3.Top 10
4.Top 15
5.Top 5
6.Top 3 could win
7.Top 10
8.The Wicker Man
9.Dirty Harry
10.Top 10
11.Top 10
12.The Warriors