Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yep. I got him that, Sightseers and Kill List (watching that now) for his birthday, and he came over to watch them. He loves them.

Excellent. I did wonder, seeing as you saw it so recently, but were talking about showing them to him as you thought he'd really like them.

Get on Up

Takes non-linear story telling to all new heights. The scenes are just scattered around for no reason. Not to suggest that if it was edited correctly it would actually be a good movie. Pulseless.

Chef

This movie takes place in some upbeat dreamworld, where Scarlett Johansson and some spanish supermodel want Jon Favreau, and then he gets a food truck and becomes a millionare. But for some unexplainable reason it's actually an enjoyable flick.

Life Itself

This movie should be called Death Itself, because it's mostly about Roger succumbing to severe cancer. I think a lot of us here have a lot in common with this guy, who wasted most of his life watching movies and writing what he thought about them. I was expecting something brilliant, a documentary that validated all of this time I've spent watching movies. Instead we get this. Not terrible, but it's subject deserves much better.

Jodorowsky's Dune

An outrageous story about a ridiculous filmmaker filled with enormous passion for movie making. Just seeing glimpses of Jodorowsky's films made me break down in a laughing fit. His version of Dune belongs next to the two movies below, which were also unrealistically ambitious.

Boyhood

Somehow it never draws attention to it's spectacular gimmick, but what makes Boyhood worthwhile is some of Linklater's best writing. Although I did enjoy the first half where he's a little kid much more than the rest of it. I felt as the boy got older, I related to him less and less.

Apocalypse Now

Wasn't really planning on watching the whole thing, but 20 minutes in I was completely sucked back in. Although I've always admired Apocalypse Now, I never understood how evil Martin Sheen's character was until this viewing. I also didn't remember the bizarre synthesizer score, which lends a giant hand in shaping the nightmarish landscape the journey inhibits.There are a lot of things I didn't understand about this movie 2 or 3 years back and some things I still don't.

Apocalypse Now

Wasn't really planning on watching the whole thing, but 20 minutes in I was completely sucked back in. Although I've always admired Apocalypse Now, I never understood how evil Charlie Sheen's character was until this viewing. I also didn't remember the bizarre synthesizer score, which lends a giant hand in shaping the nightmarish landscape the journey inhibits.There are a lot of things I didn't understand about this movie 2 or 3 years back and some things I still don't.

I believe it's Martin Sheen.

Unregistered User
Yep. I got him that, Sightseers and Kill List (watching that now) for his birthday, and he came over to watch them. He loves them.
In what order would you rank Wheatley's films Mark?

A system of cells interlinked
Divergent (Burger, 2014)

"Why is everything grey?"
"It matches our hearts."
"Wut?"
"I dunno, I am just reading my lines."

Grey, lifeless Hunger Games clone with an actress not anywhere near as talented as Jennifer Lawrence. Also - it's 2.5 hours long without having even a piece of a reason to be. Say, I gave it 2.5 stars...coincidence?

In what order would you rank Wheatley's films Mark?
The three of Wheatley's films that I've seen are all so weird and unique that it's kinda difficult to quantify them, especially against themselves. I've only seen Sightseers once, so it's at a disadvantage, also perhaps for being the most-straightforward of them. My rewatches makes me feel sure that Kill List is the best, Sightseers is the funniest and A Field in England is the kind of wacko Lynch/Jodorowsky atmospheric nonsense I would normally not go for but there's just something about it that's appealing (if that's the right word). I've changed Kill List to
and the other two are
. My brother thinks they're about a whole rating higher. I'm interested to see what Wheatley does with the first two hours of "Dr. Who"

Tropic Thunder (Ben Stiller, 2008) (Rewatch)
+

The Immigrant (James Gray, 2013) (Rewatch)
+

Midnight Cowboy (John Schlesinger, 1969)
+

Persona (Ingmar Bergman, 1966)

The Green Mile (Frank Darabont, 1999) (Rewatch)

I'm not a fan of The Green Mile personally. Good to see how much you liked both Midnight Cowboy and Persona which i finally watched in full a few days ago.
It's not a favorite - the supernatural elements in it lose something for me - but it's got some really good performances and some touching moments. Plus Mr. Jingles is adorable.

It's not a favorite - the supernatural elements in it lose something for me - but it's got some really good performances and some touching moments. Plus Mr. Jingles is adorable.
Agreed on Mr.Jingles, i'm not really fond of any rats,mouses,rodents in general; sorry i know they are your faourite types of pet. Mr.Jingles relationship with the Death Row inmate was actually one of the things i really liked about the film though.

The Helen Morgan Story (Michael Curtiz, 1957)

The Spellbinder (Jack Hively, 1939)
+
Jason and the Argonauts (Nick Willing, 2000)
-
Daddy Long Legs (Jean Negulesco, 1955)

Orphaned French girl Leslie Caron is sent to college by benefactor Fred Astaire who decides to take a closer look at her.
For Love or Money (Michael Gordon, 1963)

The Second Time Around (Vincent Sherman, 1961)

With a Song in My Heart (Walter Lang, 1952)
+
The Simple Life of Noah Dearborn (Gregg Champion, 1999)
+

Simple, hard-working Sidney Poitier owns a piece of land attractive to oil speculators, and his refusal to sell gets him into trouble, which psychologist Mary-Louise Parker tries to help him get out of.
The Mating Season (Mitchell Leisen, 1951)

Wanted: Jane Turner (Edward Killy, 1936)

The Model and the Marriage Broker (George Cukor, 1951)

Birdman of Alcatraz (John Frankenheimer, 1962)

Robert Stroud (Burt Lancaster) spends most of his life in prison in solitary confinement, yet somehow becomes the world’s foremost authority on bird anatomy and pathology.
Millionaires in Prison (Ray McCarey, 1940)

Child’s Play (Tom Holland, 1988)

Behind the Headlines (Richard Rosson, 1937)

Kill List (Ben Wheatley, 2011)

You’re on your own.
The Strange Love of Molly Louvain (Michael Curtiz, 1932)

Blessed Event (Roy Del Ruth, 1932)

The Visitors (Jack Ersgard, 1988)
+
The Half Naked Truth (Gregory La Cava, 1932)

Carnival huckster Lee Tracy (right) argues with his star singer/dancer Lupe Velez while his partner Eugene Pallette nips from the jug.