The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I will not forgive Cob for leaving it off his list. The Allen fans were counting on you to get it higher up.
I especially feel guilty for leaving off Play It Again, Sam, Sleeper and Love and Death.

I had 5 Woody films on my '80s list, but I only had Manhattan on my '70s list...
Especially Play It Again, Sam and Sleeper were huge contenders. I hope they didn't fail to make the list because of me. :s

I especially feel guilty for leaving off Play It Again, Sam, Sleeper and Love and Death.

I had 5 Woody films on my '80s list, but I only had Manhattan on my '70s list...
Especially Play It Again, Sam and Sleeper were huge contenders. I hope they didn't fail to make the list because of me. :s

A system of cells interlinked
Another entry from my list has appeared. I had Days of Heaven at #17. Annie Hall is probably the best of the Woody films I have seen, but still did not make my list as a favorite film of the 1970s.

Malick strikes me as the kind of guy whose parents never read to him a kid, so instead he just had to look at the illustrations and wonder what the words meant. Maybe that's why I find his films lacking in story, substance and dialogue, yet filled with strikingly beautiful imagery. I'm not knocking Days of Heaven or Badlands, both of which I enjoy, but I'm surprised so many people are able to identify with his films so strongly. Pretty pictures aren't enough for me to consider a film a favorite.

Annie Hall is the best Woody Allen film I've seen and by far the funniest. I'm surprised it didn't make the top 25.

Haven't seen either of these.

My List
1. Didn't Make The Cut
5. Kramer vs. Kramer (#44)
6. Paper Moon (#74)
7. Deliverance (#51)
8. Cries and Whispers (#50)
9. Serpico (#55)
11. Dirty Harry (#34)
12. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
20. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (#46)
21. Network (#32)
22. Hausu (#76)
23. Mad Max (#70)
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)

Did you watch The Good, The Bad and The Ugly yesterday?
No. I watched Persona yesterday afternoon and was going to watch another movie last night, but I got home too late to start one.

I had never been interested in Woody Allen, but I watched Annie Hall in preparation for this list. I have watched 7 of his movies in total now, and I would consider Annie Hall to be one of his best. Everything I've seen, I've thought was between decent and pretty good. I'm pretty sure that I'll never love one of his movies, but I'm confident that I'll at least enjoy most of them. Love and Death is my favorite so far, but I didn't vote for any of them.

I didn't vote for it, but I ended up liking Days of Thunder quite a bit. Everyone talks about how the movie looks, and I agree, but I also liked the story and the characters. The movie still frustrated me a little bit. I think a truly great movie fulfills it's potential, and becomes the best it can be. I think the story could've been emotionally powerful, but it seems that there was little effort to make it so. In my mind, this movie left some cards on the table. Also, the little girl's supposed Chicago accent was not good.

I didn't vote for it, but I ended up liking Days of Thunder quite a bit.
And rubbing, Son, is racing!

Terry Malick should TOTALLY do a NASCAR movie.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Days of Heaven was number four on my list. Perhaps one of the best visually appealing films of all time. I disagree with naysayers as I thought the acting and the characters were well rounded. It astounded me on my first watch and is much better than Badlands in my opinion.

Annie Hall is better than Manhattan, but I prefer other seventies films over it. It's a worthy contender for the list though, and it does most likely need to be seen again by me.