4th Movie Hall of Fame Nominations

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
I watched Guapo's movie. Umm, The Adolescence of Utena is the title I think. I will make a pretty safe bet that I like the movie more than anyone but Guapo in this Hall of Fame. It's pretty weird, and I am not entirely sure what was going on at all times. I don't think that's important though. It was pretty to look at and I enjoyed the cool-looking setting. I'd like to visit a place that resembled that school. I don't really know what else to say. I didn't love it, but it was enjoyable enough.

I watched Primal Fear as well. It's a good murder case thriller. Nothing amazing. Performances ranged from fine to good. It reached borderline hokey levels at time, but always came back from those. I don't mind the twist, even if it was a little predictable. I don't think I would want it in my Hall of Fame, but it's not offensively bad or anything.

Singin' In The Rain
Falls into the category that a whole lot of musicals do for me. I like a few of the numbers with the Singin' In The Rain number being exceptional. I don't care about any of the other stuff going on though. I didn't find it funny or engaging. The scene where Don and Kathy meet is the only exception to this. Good not great movie for my taste.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Singin' In The Rain
Falls into the category that a whole lot of musicals do for me. I like a few of the numbers with the Singin' In The Rain number being exceptional. I don't care about any of the other stuff going on though. I didn't find it funny or engaging. The scene where Don and Kathy meet is the only exception to this. Good not great movie for my taste.
I thought for sure that you were going to love it for whatever reason, but me and u are on the same page with this. Though everyone else is going to have it seemingly high it looks like.

Primal Fear

Meh. It was OK - up until the the "wrap everything up in 5 minutes no matter how silly it is" ending. Norton was good, Linney was poor and at least Gere didn't stink it up like he has a habit of doing. I just feel like I've seen this movie 20 times before - and all during the 90s.
+

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ... and Spring

One of the movies, along with In the Mood For Love, which made me realise that there is more to movies than Hollywood blockbusters. This is a beautiful movie about the cycle of life - both for the main character and for all of us watching. Unlike many of Kim's previous movies it is one full of hope ... even though it can appear that there isn't any on the surface.

One of the things I love most about this is that it approaches life and the "evil's that men do" from a Buddhist perspective - hence the ... and Spring part of the title. Obviously in Western cinema we are (understandably) seldom presented with different religious perspectives so it was interesting to encounter it here.

There is a lot of depth to this movie ... a depth that most of us will often miss due to our lack of knowledge of Buddhist symbols but even so, the mixture of ideas and the beautiful images makes it a great experience IMO.

I agree with Justin, Utena was nutty, I still have no idea what I experienced, but I'm pretty sure I enjoyed the ride. The world that was created was really interesting to me regardless of the "quality" of animation (I've heard the same argument against Forbidden Planet), and the lack of fluidity in the storyline while maintaining momentum made it feel dreamy. Not a clue what it's about, doesn't even bother me.

at least

Primal Fear...I love courtroom dramas but this is of the Few Good Men caliber, which is to say, cliché-ridden plot points, soap opera lines, and Richard Gere quality acting. Edward Norton can't pick all good ones I guess. Extra points for merely keeping my attention until the end.

Ed Wood - one of the only rewatches I'm doing for this, since I saw it forever ago, and I definitely enjoyed it more this time as I view it now from a perspective of filmmaking instead of just a Tim Burton fan. I "get" a lot more of the film too I think, having seen more associated films and films from the time period in general...plus the music is excellent. I just wish Bill Murray had more screen time.

Primal Fear

Meh. It was OK - up until the the "wrap everything up in 5 minutes no matter how silly it is" ending. Norton was good, Linney was poor and at least Gere didn't stink it up like he has a habit of doing. I just feel like I've seen this movie 20 times before - and all during the 90s.
+

Synecdoche New York, I see that it's a very good movie, very rich in it's themes, introspective and it makes you think. The problem I had with it was Caden, I thought the character sucked, I cannot identify with him, maybe it's because I'm young, I don't know, but I like to think that if you're unhappy, lonely, etc. do something about it instead of bitching and saying to other that you are. I get it the movie gets the ever lasting pain of the human being, but I really don't see life like that. I never like Seymour Hoffman as an actor (that's an opinion and I'm not arguing that he's not a good actor because I'd be wrong) so maybe it had something to do with my appreciation. However other than Caden I found the movie refreshing and the concept is very good. I'd add that according to death (that is a huge subject of the film) I agree with epicurus I'm not scared of death, but of the pain that precedes it and it seems that the characters in this films are scare of death, maybe the fact that I am pass that stage made me connect less? I don't know. It's still a pretty good film with great visuals and a message just not for me.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Caden isn't meant to be particularly likable, I don't think. And he didn't just bitch and whine he attempted to find truth and create worlds within worlds.

I get that this isn't a movie for everyone, but sometimes you have to let go of what you're about and dig what the movie is about.

Also, I think most people are afraid of death to some extent or another. Even if you aren't that should still be understandable.

Yeah and that's why I didn't say it was a bad movie just that to my taste it didn't really click. I will try to be objective when I do the list so I might put this higher than a movie that I enjoy more, but I find not as good.

Just watched Sansho the Bailiff. Extremely powerful, gut-wrenching film. I was going to give it a 4 and then the ending came along and hit me like a ton of bricks, so I’m bumping it up half a point. I’ve got to check out Ugetsu now, which was one of Tarkovsky’s favorites.

Just watched Sansho the Bailiff. Extremely powerful, gut-wrenching film. I was going to give it a 4 and then the ending came along and hit me like a ton of bricks, so I’m bumping it up half a point. I’ve got to check out Ugetsu now, which was one of Tarkovsky’s favorites.
I prefer Sansho which is a
for me, but Ugetsu is great too.

I could see Sansho getting full marks from me with repeated viewings.

I'm mainly just posting this to remind myself to do a more detail write up later. If I don't, I'll forget.

8 1/2 - This is my second viewing. I don't find this at all difficult to follow. I do like surrealism, but I also need some sort of narrative that I can follow so that I don't feel like I'm just lost in a sea of weirdness. I think 8 1/2 handles that very well. I've also watched a crap ton of movies since my first viewing and I can see the influence of this film on quite a few including my own nomination.

Trouble in Paradise - I can easily see this in my top five. Even though they are not that similar I found myself reminded of Baby Face, which I love and should nominate soon. Miriam Hopkins is a gem and I kind of feel obsessed with her right now. At least enough to want to watch a lot of her movies. I'm searching for a word for the style of this movie and I can't find it, but there is just something smooth about it. I'll try to be more articulate later, but I'm very happy about this movie being nominated.

And also one of my favorites. I found Ugetsu a bit more controlled and less "melodramatic" than Sancho so in the end it felt more true and hence powerful. Sancho was made a year after Ugetsu and I think that Mizoguchi was trying to make and even more powerful film but ended up overreaching for it and failed.

The Japanese also regard Ugetsu as better: it's more highly ranked on Kinema Jumpo's top 200 list:

https://mubi.com/lists/japanese-movi...inejun-readers

Lots of great movies there.

I was feeling a little panicked about where I was in this but I only have 4 movies to watch for the first time and two rewatches left. I'm right on track.

I feel like people are being pretty quite this time around. I want to hear some more opinions on Punch Drunk Love. I absolutely love the movie and I hope it does well but I worry knowing what it's up against.

Let the night air cool you off
It will probably do alright on my list. It's another shining example of a talented director getting the best out of an actor who gets pretty lazy. It's the same thing that's happened for Jim Carrey and Nicolas Cage, and I am sure several other subpar actors. PTA created characters you care about and want to see succeed. I found myself rooting for Adam Sandler. I didn't think that was possible. At least not since Happy Gilmore. Gilmore is the only other Sandler movie I can think of that I like, and that's probably more for nostalgic reasons than anything else.