Your First Movie Experience at a Theatre

Tools    

What was your first movie experience? How old were you and what did you see? Any remembrance that stood out?

Growing up, most of the movies I watched were at home. There were 5 children, so my parents didnt have much money for entertainment until my 3 older siblings were almost out of the house. But I do remember 2 of my first movie experiences.

I remember the night my parents took me and my younger sister to see "Peter Pan". Why was it remembered? Because my parents were remodeling the house we just moved into and I wrote "F You" very tiny in pencil on the wall in my room and my mother found out. I was probably about 6 years old and I remember the spanking I got for it.

My second was when I was about 7 years old. My parents took us to Branson Missouri for the first time. We went to Silver Dollar City during the day but my father didnt know what entertainment for the evening. He decided on taking us to see a "Western". Well, not really knowing much about the film, he picked the following movie. I think he regretted doing it afterwards... like I said, I was 7 years old and my sister was 5 years old.

We went to see.............

I remember my parents laughing hard and the only thing my sister and I found "humorous" was the "farting around the campfire".

Perhaps this is why I dislike comedies.

Hey, I was 4 or 5.

I couldnt tell you any stories about it other than the one my mom told me. During the scene where Bambis mom was shot the whole theater full of little kids burst into tears. One girl in the audience was especially distraught. So the dad took the child out of the theater, and in less than a minute walked back in and she was completely calm.

My mom was astonished at the immediate transformation in such a short time, and asked what he said to his daughter. He said "I told her Bambis mother wasnt dead, but that her batteries ran out".

I was around 6. Growing up in Asia meant there was no opportunity to see movies at the theater. Non in English in any case. Had to wait until I got back to the USA to see my first movie in the theater.
Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale overall. I seen it in theatres when it was first released... I was 24 years old. When my daughter was growing up, late sunday mornings was our "Disney" time.... (I taught her at an early age how to "behave" during a film by watching "Disney sing a longs" or "children's movies" at home). We would watch a film of her choice first then mine.... I always picked "Beauty and the Beast". I think its one of her least favorite Disney films.

We always took her to a movie when we went. Rarely did we use a baby sitter. She was well behaved and watched the full film and did not talk. When they re-released the first "Star Wars" trilogy in 1997, she was 3 years old. She sat in her seat with her drink and candy, wearing her "beep beep and rdrc2" shirt (this is what she called 3PO and R2D2) and would tell me to "be quiet".

The Adventure Starts Here!
If Yoda doesn't pop in here to give his own story of his first movie experience, I can do it for him (as his mom). But I'll wait and see what he says about it. (He has an uncanny memory for details, even when he was a young child, so I'm curious to see what he remembers about the experience.)

I'll have to check my own "baby book" (filled out by my mom throughout my childhood) to see what the first movie in the theater was for me. I have no memory of it at all...

The first one I remember (I couldn't say if there were prior experiences) was Titanic. Everyone was "aw"ing, cheering, and crying the whole time, when I just wanted to sleep, despite my first glance at breasts. Psychological goldmine right there.

If Yoda doesn't pop in here to give his own story of his first movie experience, I can do it for him (as his mom). But I'll wait and see what he says about it. (He has an uncanny memory for details, even when he was a young child, so I'm curious to see what he remembers about the experience.)

I'll have to check my own "baby book" (filled out by my mom throughout my childhood) to see what the first movie in the theater was for me. I have no memory of it at all...
Im like you. I could tell many of my daughter's movie experiences since she isnt a member here. She doesnt come here and read threads either.. which is safe for me to share.

She was 8 years old and asked for us to take her to see "Not Another Teen Movie" and the good thing about her, she knew when to turn around and face the back of the seat because the scene was inappropriate for a 8 year old.

Also, she was the only child in the theatre when we went to see "Gangs of New York". She was 9 years old and it was her "movie choice".

I was born in 1971 and I saw The Exorcist at the movies which came out in 1973. I don't actually remember sitting there watching the movie, but I faintly remember a huge deal being made about it, and I had nightmares for years.