The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Should I watch the '50s version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers first or is the '70s version different enough?
You should just watch the 50's version.

I saw Invasion of the Body Snatchers at the cinema when it was out and a couple times since. It's not a favorite, but I like it quite a bit. I'm surprised it made it.

Walkout was one of the first movies I watched in preparation for this list because HK had recommended it to me in the past. It didn't make my list, but it was in contention.

Walkabout continues a trend for me of movies that I like an awful lot, but that I'm surprised made this countdown. Other movies that fit in here are The Omen, Mad Max, Breaking Away, Assault on Precinct 13, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, and Marathon Man. I can only think that it's because I watched so many films in preparation for this that were outside of my comfort zone, that subconsciously they're dominating my thought process. My horrible predictive skills are the only thing that gives me hope for my #4 pick, which is immensely popular outside of this forum.

Haven't seen either, need to watch more 70s films, or atleast more from this list.

A system of cells interlinked
And there is my first ridiculous oversight. How did I forget to include Invasion of the Body Snatchers??? Arg!!!!

Should most certainly be on my list. DAMMIT!!!

Should I watch the '50s version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers first or is the '70s version different enough?
Definitely watch the original 1956 film, first. The '70s version plays like more of a belated sequel than an all-out remake, especially given a couple of fun cameos that you will only appreciate if you have seen the original. Both are great films.

Also, reference THIS THREAD for more (or after you've checked out both flicks).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

My list:
2. The Conformist (1970) #71
8. Walkabout (1971) #67
25.La grande bouffe (1973) (1 point, not on the countdown)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

A system of cells interlinked
How is there oversights when there is a thing called flickchart that ranks your 70s films for you.
Because I did the list myself without using some jack-hatted program to do it for me, I would imagine. *shrugs*

On the advice of some MoFos, I added Invasion of the Body Snatchers to my watchlist but did so with rather low expectations. I'm not a fan of Sci-Fi or horror and, while Philip Kaufman is responsible for my favorite movie ever, he's also responsible for The Unbearable Lightness of Being which I absolutely hated. Ultimately, I was quite pleasantly surprised by Invasion. I thought the performances were good and the imagery ranged from the disturbing to the amusing. Definitely a fun watch and number 12 on my list.

I never got around to Walkabout.

My List
1. Didn't Make The Cut
6. Paper Moon (#74)
12. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
22. Hausu (#76)
23. Mad Max (#70)
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)

I've seen all three versions of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and all have something to offer.

Often a person likes the first movie version that they are exposed to, for me it was the 70s version. It still creeps me up today. It's beauty is its use of psychological terror rather than today's 'in your face shock & gore'.

Nothings creepier than when Donald Sutherland.....(oh well, I can't give away a plot element, you all will just have to see it.'

The People's Republic of Clogher
The only way that Invasion of the Bodysnatchers would have been more unsettling to me as a kid was if Big Sutherland did his accent from The Eagle Has Landed in it.

The Eagle Has Landed is not on my list.

Let the night air cool you off
I really should have seen Walkabout before list deadline (if only to look at Jenny Agutter,) but I didn't. I suck.

Body Snatchers though, I have seen. And I like it a bit, but I didn't vote for it.

Two great movies. Walkabout could have easily made it on my list if I had rewatched it in time. I just looked at my list, I thought Invasion of the Body Snatchers was on it, but I guess not. That's another one that could have been given more room.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Still only one (Straw Dogs) from my list. Walkabout was a film I saw in the '70s, but unlike Don't Look Now and The Man Who Fell to Earth, it was at a repertory theatre. The film came on, and almost immediately I was wondering what the hell was going on. Some guy had taken his kids out to the middle of nowhere and then started shooting at them! Later, when I watched Diner, I had a moment of recognition in the scene where Steve Guttenburg watched The Seventh Seal and was completely confused by what was happening. I thought I understood the Bergman flick, but the beginning of Walkabout? Well, after the dad offed himself and the children had to fend for themselves, it settled into something like a beautiful, leisurely-paced nature documentary of the Australian Outback, and teenage Jenny Agutter (Logan's Run, An American Werewolf in London) was easy on the eyes. Then David Gulpilil showed up as a teenage aborigine on his walkabout into manhood. [Gulpilil would become a favorite of mine, a familiar face amid strange, exotic happenings (Mad Dog Morgan, The Last Wave, The Right Stuff all the way up to Rabbit-Proof Fence, The Proposition, Ten Canoes)]. Well, it got more interesting with a sorta-sexual thing going on, but I still wasn't sure what it all meant. Years and multiple viewings later, I can enjoy it as a sensory experience with an ultimately tragic meaning, but it's not really a favorite.

I saw Body Snatchers on a humongous screen a few times. Once again, my brother loved it. The opening credits began on another world and show the "aliens" coming to Earth - San Francisco to be precise. Kaufman plays up the beautiful location and initially, the comedy (both Donald Sutherland and Jeff Goldblum are excellent at playing up their slightly off-kilter looks for both comedy and eerieness). The cherry on top is the casting of Leonard Nimoy (Mr. Spock) as a very human psychiatrist who tries to convince the first people who feel their loved ones have "changed" is an intimacy problem. Both Brooke Adams (wait till you see her do her bug eyes!) and Veronica Cartwright are excellent too at expressing ever-increasing tension. There are plenty of memorable scenes, including the bodies in the mud bath, the bed and the garden, "Amazing Grace", the dog and the ending. It's top-notch sci-fi and scary horror with a dose of social satire. If you like it, I recommend you watch Kaufman's next - The Wanderers - the most intense, funny and crazed gang picture I've seen.

It's top-notch sci-fi and scary horror with a dose of social satire. If you like it, I recommend you watch Kaufman's next - The Wanderers - the most intense, funny and crazed gang picture I've seen.
Oh aye, good recommendation Mark!