The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I've taken care of Autumn Sonata one might say. I hope others voted for it too.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Whoa, The Tenent made the list! The first time I saw it was in college twenty-plus years ago when they were doing special screenings, and I loved it at the time. It hasn't quite held up on repeat viewings and I never even considered it for my list, but it certainly is a strange little movie. Saturday Night Fever I haven't seen all the way through in a long time (it's been a while since I watched The Tenent as well), and I'm pretty indifferent to it, but it does seem to encapsulate the late 70s.

Saturday Night Fever pretty much IS the image people have from the (late) seventies, today. This list would not have been legitimate without this film on it.

Wasn't on my list, but very glad it made it!

Not seen The Tenant although it looks like the type of film that I'd love. Watched Saturday Night Fever quite recently, and liked it a lot (
), it didn't make my list, but I'm glad it's made the top 100. Very cool movie, with some great scenes and music, but was surprised me is the emotional center led by a fantastic John Travolta who is struggling to 'be somebody' and is fed up with his life. I can easily see why some people love it so much.

I've taken care of Autumn Sonata one might say. I hope others voted for it too.
What did you like about Autumn Sonata? Just wondering because i'd like to watch some more Bergman, and i've noticed you mention that a few times.

Saturday Night Fever is the first movie from my list-I had it at #3

I loved it when I first saw it at the movies. At that age, it was mostly because of the music as I was too young to get the drama or the characters. It was only a couple weeks later when I went to my first concert, The Bee Gees of course. It's a movie that brings back a lot of memories for me. I wasn't even 10 years old yet, and I was playing them on the jukebox in bars. I also used to love Grease, but SNF has translated into adulthood much better for me. It's a movie I can watch over and over. It was one of 3 choices from my top 10 that I thought were question marks to make this countdown. This is the one I was hoping would make it for the same reason Cobpyth said; to me, like Easy Rider in the 60's, SNF is the most iconic film of it's decade. It's more than just about the movie; it's the music and the whole representation of it's era.

I missed the Tenant; it seemed that there wasn't much discussion about it, so I didn't think it would make the list. I'm going to try to watch it tonight.

The Tenant was #12 on my list! Wonderfully creepy movie, though I haven't seen it in ages.

For some reason The Tenant was only #15 on my list. It should have been closer to #9. Fantastic movie, one of my favorites.

A system of cells interlinked
The Tenant was REALLY well done, and I guess I kind of spaced it out when compiling my list,, it;s been a long time since I saw it, so perhaps a re-watch is in order soon!

Huh, The Tenant made it. Decent Polanski for sure, has a ton of creepy moments, I just feel that the paranoia in the film is far to clear to make this a psychological horror. Surprised to see that it made the cut.. Haven't seen Saturday Night Fever, I should probably fix that.

The Tenant was very good, but it's definitely the weakest film out of Polanski's apartment trilogy.

As for SNF it's great, but it is a little cliché so it wasn't on my list. It still has its place on the list because it's probably the more iconic 70's film.