Movie Tab II

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
Umberto D. looks like something I'd love. I love dogs and The Bicycle Thieves is great. Hope its not overly pessimistic thought
It's depressing, but I don't think it's all that pessimistic. I love it.

It's depressing, but I don't think it's all that pessimistic. I love it.
That sounds about right, having watched The Bicycle Thieves already. I'll definitely have to get round to it eventually.

Phone Booth
-
I might be in the minority, but I think Phone Booth is a perfectly enjoyable minimalist thriller.Its furiously entertaining and the 81-minute runtime ensues that it never overstays its welcome. Thoroughly enjoyable little flick for a day when you don't have much time to spare.
Hell Yeah ! Colin Farrell is pretty good in this awesome Thriller !

Umberto D. looks like something I'd love. I love dogs and The Bicycle Thieves is great. Hope its not overly pessimistic thought
It's great. I'm sure you'll like it.

I believe they're remaking it with the guy who played Uncle Junior in The Sopranos which I don't entirely have an issue with if for the life of me I can't understand the rationale for why...

The Skin I Live In (Almodovar, 2011)
-
Like most the movies in this tab, this is a film that's been on my watchlist, and I've been anxious to see, but ended up being majorly disappointed by. Perhaps I need a break from Almodovar, the last two films I've seen of his have done nothing for me (Bad Education, prior to this). It's a film that could've been an entertaining ride, wasn't because I knew what to expect, and when I didn't it just wasn't shocking. Even a man-tiger raping someone doesn't surprise me when it's Almodovar behind the camera.

A Dangerous Method (Cronenberg, 2011)
-
I haven't seen Cronenberg's most acclaimed films, The Fly, Naked Lunch, or Eastern Promises but I have now seen A Dangerous Method, Cosmopolis, and Videodrome. Two of these left me stiff, and Cosmopolis I absolutely hated. The subject matter is interesting to me, centering around the friendship of psychologists Freud and Jung, alongside Jung's patient Spielrien. The lead performances by Knightley and Fassbender were both solid. Also really liked VIncent Cassel as Otto Gross. But the events on screen left me completely unaffected.

Up in Smoke (Adler, 1978)

Decent stoner comedy from Cheech and Chong. I had a lot of laughs during the first half hour, and then the comedy kind of dimmed down, but I still enjoyed most of it. Outside of the scene where Cheech and Chong first meet, I don't remember any of the jokes, and very few gags, so the comedy didn't stick with me, but it was enough fun while it lasted.

The Lost Weekend (Wilder, 1945)

The Lost Weekend is a cynical look at alcoholism, somewhat of a Billy Wilder 40s version of Leaving Las Vegas. The humor in the film is dry and dark, never laughed out loud but often smirked at the irony of the situations. Ray Milland plays Don Birnam, apparently there's two of them: the writer and the alcoholic. This film only shows the latter. This dark look at a still relevant addiction makes alcoholism truly terrifying, mainly thanks to Millands acting. However the very ending didn't seem to fit in, I feel something darker would accomplish more.

As far as the few Wilders I've seen goes I'd rank this under The Apartment and Some Like it Hot, but above Sabrina. The fluid narration and great lead acting makes this a worth while film, but doesn't wrap itself into a great one.

Leviathen (Castaing-Taylor & Paravel, 2012)

I understand what this documentary is trying to accomplish, I really do. But if you want a wide audience to be intrigued by your message you don't make a 90 minute film, of just countless cameras pointing at whatever they can pick up, resulting in ugly cinematography, and nauseating background noise. The lack of commentary isn't this documentaries problem, the issue is making something that's so unpleasant to view, the topic just becomes annoying.

Duel (Spielberg, 1971)

As a semi-paranoid driver the idea of being terrorized by a tractor- trailer on an empty highway sounds terrifying to me. When I read the synopsis to Duel, I imagined a gripping thriller. And Duel is gripping, but there were no thrills. I believe the main reason is the chase is set in broad daylight, if this was set at night it would add a more isolated and vulnerable setting. Dennis Weaver was a convincing protagonist but his fear and paranoia were more spoken than needed, his physical acting didn't say enough. The film is still worth a watch due to the great concept, and decent execution (it was in no way boring, and could've been handled way worse), plus it's cool to see where Spielberg began.

[b]The Lost Weekend (Wilder, 1945)

The Lost Weekend is a cynical look at alcoholism, somewhat of a Billy Wilder 40s version of Leaving Las Vegas. The humor in the film is dry and dark, never laughed out loud but often smirked at the irony of the situations. Ray Milland plays Don Birnam, apparently there's two of them: the writer and the alcoholic. This film only shows the latter. This dark look at a still relevant addiction makes alcoholism truly terrifying, mainly thanks to Millands acting. However the very ending didn't seem to fit in, I feel something darker would accomplish more.
I think the ending is pretty dark in the sense that it's too ambiguous to provide any guarantees.

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
The Skin I Live In (Almodovar, 2011) [/b]
-
Like most the movies in this tab, this is a film that's been on my watchlist, and I've been anxious to see, but ended up being majorly disappointed by. Perhaps I need a break from Almodovar, the last two films I've seen of his have done nothing for me (Bad Education, prior to this). It's a film that could've been an entertaining ride, wasn't because I knew what to expect, and when I didn't it just wasn't shocking. Even a man-tiger raping someone doesn't surprise me when it's Almodovar behind the camera.
Thank you. Everything I hear about this film has been positive. I thought it was garbage.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Florentine Dagger (Robert Florey, 1935)
+
Seven Cities of Gold (Robert D. Webb, 1955)

Free and Easy (George Sidney, 1941)

The Night of the Hunter (Charles Laughton, 1955)
-

Wendy (Shelley Winters) is threatened by husband Jack Torrance (Robert Mitchum) in this expressionistic horror fairy tale. (Well, you get the idea.)
Never Weaken (Fred Newmeyer, 1921)

Coney Island (Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle, 1917)
+
The Immigrant (Charles Chaplin, 1917)
+
Joe (David Gordon Green, 2014)

Nicolas Cage works hard for a living but he’s constantly in trouble with the law, and he’s afraid Tye Sheridan will follow in his footsteps, even without his wretched father (Gary Poulter).
New Best Friend (Zoe Clarke-Williams, 2002)

Spotlight on the World We Live In (Ronald Haines, 1951)

Murder, She Wrote: The Last Free Man (Anthony Shaw, 2001)

Two Tars (James Parrott, 1928)
+

On leave, two sailors (an especially-confrontational Stan Laurel and more-jovial Oliver Hardy) get caught in a traffic jam and take glee in destroying others’ cars.
Black Cats and Broomsticks (Larry O’Reilly, 1955)

I Married a Witch (René Clair, 1942)

The Ghost Goes West (René Clair, 1936)
-
And Then There Were None (René Clair, 1945)
+

On a deserted island, people are being killed off very rapidly, and four of the potential victims are doctor Walter Huston, adventurer Louis Hayward, judge Barry Fitzgerald and unlucky-at-love June Duprez. Of course, there all potential murderers too.
Seven Days to Live (Sebastian Niemann, 2000)
+
Evil Under the Sun (Guy Hamilton, 1982)

Ten Little Indians (George Pollock, 1965)
+
Life Itself (Steve James, 2014)

Thumbs Up, Roger! It brought back a lot of memories and hit close to home, providing plenty of laughs and tears.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
But if you want a wide audience to be intrigued by your message you don't make a 90 minute film, of just countless cameras pointing at whatever they can pick up, resulting in ugly cinematography, and nauseating background noise
Who said they want wide audience to be intrigued? I'm still to watch it.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I found Alice to be extremely unrealistic as a child, behaving more like a programmed android...rather than as a child ... the way she behaved, spoke and moved (with a complete lack of human mannerisms) did not produce any sense of identification to me as a result I couldn't bring myself to care about her at all.
Sub Guaporense in for Alice and I think this post is closer to being right.

Cabin Fever* (Eli Roth, 2002) –

American Movie* (Chris Smith, 1999) –

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre* (Tobe Hooper, 1974) –

Dawn of the Dead* (George A. Romero, 1978) –
+
Halloween* (John Carpenter, 1978) –

The Fog* (John Carpenter, 1980) –

An American Werewolf in London* (John Landis, 1981) –

The Exorcist* (William Friedkin, 1973) –

The Purge: Anarchy (James DeMonaco, 2014) –
+
Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead* (Lloyd Kaufman, 2006) –

*Rewatch

At least chucking me on the dreaded ignore list might be warranted. Mark seems like one of the most sensible and mature posters on here, condeming him is one of the biggest knee jerks I've seen on here in my 26 days.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Umberto D is one probably in my top 20. I like it a lot more than Bicycle Thieves. It's definitely sad, but there is also very good message in there if you're open to it.

I think you would like it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
At least chucking me on the dreaded ignore list might be warranted. Mark seems like one of the most sensible and mature posters on here, condeming him is one of the biggest knee jerks I've seen on here in my 26 days.
Guap and I patched up that set-to. We still might have our disagreements, but no more "Ignore" wall between us.

The 400 Blows (1959) -

Traffic (2000) -

All Is Lost (2013) -

Contagion (2011) -

Upstream Color (2013) -

Angel Heart (1987) -

Transsiberian (2008) -

Videodrome (1983) -