Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Dinner at Eight's good. I used to own that movie, but I don't think I do anymore.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I need to find a copy of that one and especially my man godfry. Glad to hear you not only liked it, but had a copy - very cool

forgot one---

(REWATCH) The Petrified Forest 1936
a rundown diner is the setting for this hostage scenario starring good friends leslie howard and humphrey bogart and a very delightfully naïve, and very young betty davis

Travolta and Cage do an incredible job playing themselves and each other.

However, in my opinion, Face/Off would have been huger if Stallone and Schwarzenegger, who were the producers' initial choices to play the lead roles, starred as Sean Archer and Castor Troy.

Regardless, the movie holds up well as an original and exciting action flick almost 17 years after it's release (can't believe it's been that long!).
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Unregistered User

The Innocents (1961)

One of the best horror films ive ever seen. Definately up there with the likes of 'The Shining'. Brilliant!!

Before Sunrise

Took me a while to get into this. Wasnt really my thing but i enjoyed the last 20 mins or so.

Arthur (1981)

Really didnt enjoy this at all. Wasnt funny and im not a fan of Dudley Moore.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Just sat and watched Batman Returns.

Had the first one on DVD for years, was one of the first DVDs I ever bought in fact, when DVDs first came out back in the 90s... and for some reason I never got round to buying Returns...

... until today

Haven't seen it in years, I forgot how good this film really is.

Great across the board, one of the best old-school comic book films ever made with hints and touches of modern cinematic photography and effects. Slightly less serious than the first film, but has massive charisma throughout simply through the characters and acting.

One thing that got me, was the animal handling. The cats in the alley when Selina becomes Catwoman... then the animal work that was put in when Penguin gets his Penguin Army going. Ok the Penguin Army was mixed with animatronics and some cartoon work drawn onto the film (the first Batman also had some animation work) but the real animals must have taken a sh*tload of work and training to get them just right.

The scene when Penguin is taking his final walk toward his Umbrella Stand, mixed with the Elfman's music is awesome.

Should have bought this before the Comics Countdown, I'd have definitely put it higher than 20th... would more than likely have broken into my Top 10, possibly even Top 5.

Great film.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
(Anthony & Joe Russo, 2014)

Even though I'm kind of sick of the whole superhero craze, the 1940's setting and the old-fashioned values of Captain America helped set the first film apart from others in the genre. Now that Cap has been transported to the present, many of the elements that I found so fun and endearing about the first installment are gone. The sequel boasts much better action sequences, however, and it's nice to see a Marvel movie that relies less on CGI spectacles in favor of an old-school, political-thriller approach. Unfortunately, a problem that persists throughout these Marvel movies is a lack of stakes, and that trend continues here. No matter how dire the predicament, the audience never feels that the heroes are truly in danger because the script always introduces a deus ex machine in the form of a familiar face or plot contrivance. Because of that, I rarely feel as invested in these movies as I should be. Captain America: The Winter Soldier is still better than a lot of superhero movies out there, though, and I think I'm more interested in following Cap's future exploits than I am Iron Man or Thor or any of the other Avengers.

Out of the Furnace
(Scott Cooper, 2013)

A bleak, depressing, character-driven movie about the working-class struggles of members of a dying town, where the air is thick with pollution from the local mill and jobs are scarce and life is hard. Christian Bale's character, despite numerous hardships, remains admirably stoical. His brother, on the other hand (played by Casey Affleck), takes a different approach. Beaten down by life and with no respite in sight, he unleashes his anger and frustration out on the world, barreling headfirst down an increasingly dark path inhabited by users and abusers and predatory scum. The movie's greatest strength lies in the raw, rugged, naturalistic performances from the stellar cast. The script that supports them isn't quite as strong, however, and the movie ultimately feels a bit too familiar and predictable. Considering the level of talent involved, the movie had the potential to be much greater that it is, but it's still a good movie, much better than a lot of tripe released last year, and it deserves more attention that it received.

Kids (1995)

Not a great movie; I'm just particularly fond of movies like this. Thanks to the HIV angle, I do think it has some power and merit as a cautionary tale.

Travolta and Cage do an incredible job playing themselves and each other.

However, in my opinion, Face/Off would have been huger if Stallone and Schwarzenegger, who were the producers' initial choices to play the lead roles, starred as Sean Archer and Castor Troy.

Regardless, the movie holds up well as an original and exciting action flick almost 17 years after it's release (can't believe it's been that long!).

Gosh. I thought I was going to love this movie. The beginning was great, but it got okay after 30 minutes. One of the best movie beginning I've watched for sure, however.
+

I recently saw the following movies, and gave them the following ratings:

The Town--1 Disliked intensely, for all kinds of reasons.

*runs*

Also, what the hell is WSSlover's obsession with West Side Story?

I just checked the threads she made -- she made 10 THREADS dedicated to West Side Story!

And it was one of the three movies she "recently watched" along with The Town!

Good on ya, edarsenal, for watching Dinner at Eight and My Man Godfrey and giving them good reviews. You must be watching Turner Classic Movies lately because that's exactly where I recorded and watched these exact two from last week.

Yes, Marie Dressler is dynamite in DAE, with her little dog, "Tarzan," and her dialogue, especially her final shot at Jean Harlow. Great movie and one the few movies I've seen with John Barrymore that wasn't a silent. Just saying. For those who only know his brother, Lionel Barrymore, from It's a Wonderful Life as a bad guy, check this one out or one of his many, many roles as a good guy. He could play anything.

My gosh, My Man Godfrey, I thought was just a great movie. It's a comedy but it didn't have me falling down laughing but just smiling in awe at how great everybody was. William Powell, one of my favorites from The Thin Man movies, was excellent in this but I was blown away by Carole Lombard as the ditsy youngest daughter of the family. The fact that she was beautiful was a plus, also. Did you happen to hear the opening by Robert Osbourne, where he talked about the past relationship between Powell and Lombard? Fascinating trivia.

Samoan lawyer, I'm sorry you didn't much like Arthur. I put that near the top of my all-time favorite comedies. The one-liners, especially from John Gieguld, are top-notch. My favorite Dudley Moore performance also. Ah, well...vive le difference.

And Rodent, thank you for your awesome review of Batman Returns This is not only nearly my favorite Batman movie, but is definitely near the top of my favorite Tim Burton movies. I think he was pretty much left alone by "producer" Jon Peters, and left to his own devices on this movie and it shows. I like it tons better than the first movie.

I cannot comment on what Sexy Celebrity likes about West Side Story but I will say that for some reason, I've avoided that movie for years. I've seen snippets here and there and thought, "meh." I know, I know, that's no reason at all to avoid a movie. But as I'm not a paid critic, I don't have to see it. But, I suppose one day I'll break down and see what all the fuss is about. Cool, cool, cool! *

*See See "West Side Story" for reference

Eddie Murphy recently posted this picture of himself with Arsenio Hall on his Facebook fan page, and it made me want to watch Coming to America again...

So, I did...

Comedy classic! John Landis and Eddie Murphy's second collaboration after 1983's Trading Places. It even features the return of Mortimer and Randolph Duke, played by Don Ameche and Ralph Bellamy, in a hilarious scene as 2 hobos.

&hd=1

Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall play multiple roles and are incredibly funny in all of them.

Even though they were only in 2 movies together (Harlem Nights is the second film), I believe Eddie and Arsenio are one of the best onscreen comedic duos in the history of film.

Gosh. I thought I was going to love this movie. The beginning was great, but it got okay after 30 minutes. One of the best movie beginning I've watched for sure, however.
+

Thanks for the recommendation!

I watched the 18 minute short last night. It was great! I loved it! I'll be sure to check out the full length feature very soon.

Coming Home
(Hal Ashby, 1978)

This movie wasn't anywhere on my radar until Cricket praised it and piqued my interest. Unfortunately, I didn't have as strong of a reaction to it as he did. I mean, it's a good movie, with good performances (although I'm skeptical that Voight and Fonda deserved Oscars for their roles), but for me there was a disconnect. For whatever reason, I just never felt invested in this story or these characters or their romance, which caused me to feel slightly bored with the movie. Even the soundtrack, which is admittedly awesome, is somewhat muted. I feared that the movie would slip into sentimentality or become too melodramatic. Luckily, that isn't the case, although I do think the anti-war message became a bit too heavy-handed toward the end.