3rd Mofo Movie Hall Of Fame Nominations

Tools    

I enjoyed the first episode from 4:33 (right after the opening credits) to 7:40 (when she leaves home for school). And I appreciated the animation quality throughout. Even in the bulk of the episode that I didn't enjoy, the animation was still good. I honestly went into the first episode with skepticism, but the beginning of the episode really surprised me and I was intrigued. The rest of the episode disappointed me though. I feel like the subject matter is going to revolve more around high-school and magic battles than the part that actually appealed to me.

An anime that I would say had the critical acclaim in Japan that The Godfather did in America would be Perfect Blue. PMMM won television awards and was very popular among the general public in Japan, but that's closer to the acclaim of One-Piece than an actually critically acclaimed film. I haven't seen any mention of critical acclaim or awards from the film version.

i am having a problem finding all the movies . i guess i wont be able to see all of them by july .

i am feeling stupid that i joined . other than dr zhivago i havent seen any movie .

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
i am having a problem finding all the movies . i guess i wont be able to see all of them by july .

i am feeling stupid that i joined . other than dr zhivago i havent seen any movie .
90% are available

That's because there is no quality. Unless pathetic characters pouting and whining is quality and annoying sounds of them walking. Click click click click
LOL... I'm with you 100% on this. It's a stupid thing, but it's so annoying and it happens in so much anime that I've seen.

I never noticed any depth in the first episode of PMMM. The characters didn't learn anything, there was nothing thought provoking, there was no adult subject matter. It's about a little girl who dreams about magic, goes to school, and then finds a pokemon. There isn't even anything ground breaking in terms of mainstream anime. So how on earth can this be compared with The Godfather?
I'm not a fan, I don't like anime, but from what I know about PMMM this is the point. It starts out as typical magical girl fare and then subverts everything that genre is and what's expected from it. Therefore, the first episode being that way makes perfect sense in the overall thing. From what I remember, it's from episodes 3 and 4 that the turnaround begins.

I'm not saying you should watch it and I'm certainly not telling you this is The Godfather or anything like that. However, it is more than the first episodes, especially if you're familiar with and are expecting a magical girl anime.

Hmm... well, if it does deconstruct the genre as you say, then I may actually finish watching it. That first episode was hard to get through though, and I have a lot on my plate as it is with the 70's MoFo and a lot of other good recommendations I've been getting on this site.

If we are judging PMMM as an anime its nowhere close to the level of Spirited Away, Castle of Cagliostro, or Grave of the Fireflies.

We should get an official count of where everyone's at. I personally have 3 films left, them being The Hedgedog, Urga, and The Insider.

Chappie doesn't like the real world

Don't feel stupid. Things happen and it's not that big of a deal. If you want to stick with it, I can help you find each individual movie as I have found them all. If you use Apple products it gets a little trickier, but after this weekend that will no longer be an issue for me. Yay!!

It's up to you. If you think you can watch 13 movies in 2 and 1/2 months your welcome to stick with us.

Speaking of which, how you guys doing Inmate and Slob?

The end date is July 15th, but I'll give people an extra week or two as long as they promise to finish watching all they need to. And that they keep their promise.

PMMM Train of thought reply:

Well, this is probably the first anime I've seen to decisively include so much philosophy. There is a internal struggle of whether or not to fight for something without recognition, let alone for something whose merit is highly debatable, which is where the dogcat thing Kyubey comes into play. Kyubey is super interesting as a demi-god type creature, first portrayed as rather omniscient but later loses stature once Madoka undergoes her "faust-like" apotheosis. The show is pretty cosmic, without being pretentious, with minor themes like the balance of time, hierarchy of being, entropy, etc. but these are never used to trick the viewer or to come across as intellectual, but again as minor elements that add a bit of intrigue. I'm sure there exists tons of discussion on just that frankly.

As for Kyubey, strong elements of "greater good" in a manner that's actually not annoying for the first time in memory, I quite enjoyed that arc. Homura on the other hand manifests Camus: she has practically given up hope, repeats the same tasks over and over, but believes in the importance of trying. Free will is only lost on her because she can only change her fate, not Madoka's. Sayaka is the idealist, and in acting as such turns into what she was fighting against.

Stopping myself, I don't want to turn this into a tangent, but yeah, tons of cool ideas here, not insanely deep but really good writing. I love the sound design as well, and the Russian style animation in the labyrinths. Great example of something entertaining and thoughtful. Would watch again.

I love the artwork in the labyrinth. I'll be able to do that some day.

I liked the idea of it, had some problems with the execution, but, yeah, I'll most definitely watch it again some day soon.

I'd watch it again as two individual movies. I actually think I would have liked it to stop after the first 8 episodes - which would be the first movie - and watching it as a tv show definitely made the experience worse for me.

I'll probably get them and re-rate based on those - might watch the third as well. It was good enough for me to have an interest in what happens next.