RIP Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Tools    

The Colombian author Gabriel Garcia Marquez has died at the age of 87. The poetry of his prose is magnificent. His books should be read for ever and a day.
RIP

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I still remember feeling ecstatic reading One Hundred Years of Solitude the first time (actually, every time). It probably still is my favorite novel.

R.I.P.

I am deeply saddened by his passing. RIP.

“He really had been through death, but he had returned because he could not bear the solitude.” - One Hundred Years of Solitude

Chappie doesn't like the real world
He was a wonderful writer and I am deeply saddened that he passed.

Yes, Slob, you should read some if his work. He has many brilliant short stories if you aren't up for a novel right now.

RIP Gabo

He was a wonderful writer and I am deeply saddened that he passed.

Yes, Slob, you should read some if his work. He has many brilliant short stories if you aren't up for a novel right now.

RIP Gabo
I ordered 100 years of solitude on ebay this morning.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Marquez had a way of being able to write a sentence or a paragraph so full of wonder, surprise and breathtaking beauty that I've never been able to find anyone to compare, although others certainly have tried. As much as I find the opening sentence of Solitude incredible, the closing paragraph (a very long one) takes me through so much anticipation and so many emotions that I always feel like a changed person every time I read it through my tears.

Marquez had a way of being able to write a sentence or a paragraph so full of wonder, surprise and breathtaking beauty that I've never been able to find anyone to compare, although others certainly have tried. As much as I find the opening sentence of Solitude incredible, the closing paragraph (a very long one) takes me through so much anticipation and so many emotions that I always feel like a changed person every time I read it through my tears.
Agreed. Latin American literature has been my fascination since I discovered Marquez's work. Magical Realism is like the collective (un)consciousness of the region's turbulent past pitted against the promises of escapism through fiction.

Other notable Latin American writers:

Octavio Paz
Mario Vargas Llosa
Roberto Bolano
Ernesto Sabato
Carlos Fuentes
Adolfo Bioy Casares
Juan Rulfo
Alejo Carpentier
Julio Cortazar
Jorge Luis Borges

It's true. He's one of those rare writers who makes you go back and reread sentences for the sheer poetry of the prose. Unlike other writers who produce a book now and again like this, Marquez did it his whole career.
Some of the Irish writers like John Banville as in The Sea, produce work like this intermittently. As do Tim Winton in The Riders and most of Cormac McCarthy although his themes are tougher, and on and off John Irving

That guy knew how to write. He made his prose flow, and like Mark and Christine said, he's one of those guys who did it so well you sometimes just read paragraphs again just for the sheer brilliance of his writing. You need to be a natural for that. I know his career doesn't compare to GGM, but Jay McInerney has that same talent imo.

RIP. His work will never be forgotten.