The Videogames Tab

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Stop categorizing man

(I am so trying to think of a steam shooter with badgers now tho )

Yes indeed. It looks rather lovely

Mainly trying to troll Tatty's list with a game that could fit in any category now

Reckon if he reclassifies that one to: 'Simulation (Mammals)' we could get somewhere...

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Hey, is it worth going back and playing those Gabriel Knight games? They're regarded as classics, but I'm not sure how well they'd hold up today. But I'm always looking for good old-school adventures. Just wanna know if it's worth the time.
Any adventure game fan should like the GK series. The first is a lot of fun, the second is FMV and the third is one of the best adventure games I've played. The GK games all have good puzzles and very well told stories. You can get a feel for them through Youtube, Metacritic, etc. If you like adventure games you're doing yourself a disservice by not, at least, trying these.

Cthulhu's Press Officer
Currently playing through MGS3 after re-playing through MGS2.

Crab Battle.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Yes indeed. It looks rather lovely

Mainly trying to troll Tatty's list with a game that could fit in any category now

Reckon if he reclassifies that one to: 'Simulation (Mammals)' we could get somewhere...
Oh, come off it!

Mammalians are far too generic. If I did that I'd have to put all my platformers into one category too. And all my Walking Simulators.

Yep, Walking Simulator is now a thing - Check the Steam tags for Dear Esther, Day Z and Gone Home. Even after Valve weeded out the joke and offensive tags, Walking Simulator remains. I seriously think it's a helpful tag too, maybe not for Day Z (which is more of a Man's Inhumanity To Man simulator) but certainly for those non-game games like Dear Esther, Proteus and Gone Home, and I really like two out of that particular three.

I'm trying to turn 'Walking Backwards Simulator' into a Steam Tag - That's basically what Hero Siege is - and have already tagged Thief as a 'Dishonored Simulator'.

Shelter, by the way, is a neat idea but one which gets dull pretty fast.

It's proper Darwin though (as I'm sure they say at the natural History Museum) because once one of your brood dies, and die they will, it becomes slightly easier to look after the rest.

It's not Watership Down: The Game though, which is what I really wanted.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Currently playing through MGS3 after re-playing through MGS2.

Crab Battle.
Just saw Crab Battle. Pretty funny. Someone should've done one about the crabs in Oblivion--if I remember that crazy leveling system--that could kick your ass even after high leveling.

Downloaded Thief today, all 19GB of it (in gaming terms, that's less than half a Titanfall folks!) ..... aaaand can't play it until tomorrow.

I thought we were moving away from regionalised release dates? For those not in the know, US release dates tended to be on a Tuesday with Europe on a Friday.

My only guess is that releasing the PC Thief in Europe on Tuesday would cause sellers of the physical disc to cry foul, so why not have a global disc release too? Clueless.

Clueless and a sop to the pirates who'll torrent the game and justify it as getting parity.

Still, I managed to 100% the achievements on Pacman Championship Edition DX Colon PLUS. It's probably the best pure arcade game I've ever played.

Avoid Pacman Museum like the clap, though. Tried the demo today and it's awful in comparison to Champ Edition (PLUS).

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I've gone old-school again. I'm playing Final Fantasy IX and I'm really enjoying it. Like the battle system, characters, graphics, pretty much all of it. And it's made me laugh a lot. Only minor complaint is that some things are a bit hidden or have finicky hit boxes and can be missed.

Ladies and gents, you can now all have your own Badger Simulator section on Steam - Pay What You Want for Shelter!

Link

Reputable site, by the way.

Haha, that Wolfenstein gif is making me think of the GTA FPS parody

But just to add to the epilepsy-inducing bloom and bust....

&start=468

The IGN brand-wagon suggests that there might be a smidgen of co-op leaning fun to be had in Titanfall. And some serendipitous carnage too - going by that bit starting at 7:48.

Prob helps that they're playing a CTF map, which has co-op orientation built in. If it turns out it's taken the BF base of providing flexible vehicles & co-op inducements then I might be tempted - as much it does look like being placed inside a tumbledryer filled with technicolour yawn

I will absolutely play co-op Titanfall with you guys. There are so few games I can play in a group and have fun with; I'd love to find a good one to play with some MoFos.

I'm available for some PC BF3 in the interim

Thursday is my official Man Cave Night, but will be blowing *Mel Gibson* up tonight if anyone's interested

Edited

Well, Thief then. Steam have actually allowed me to play the game I pre-purchased and 1000s have been playing for 48 hours.

I initially thought it was a pig to run - was getting benchmarks of 50fps on Very High but loads of stuttering. The game doesn't look that good either. Then I noticed that I'd mistaken SSAA for SSAO - SSAA is supersampling anti-aliasing, basically doubling or trebling the internal resolution to smooth objects. It's a HUGE resource hog and rarely worth the bother.

Turned it off and made do with standard AA and the benchmark jumped to nearly 70. Phew.

Apart from spending ages running benchmarks (the options are excellent, equalling the fantastic standard Square Enix have set recently) I've only played the first mission. First thoughts are that mouse & keyboard don't suit the game at all, as I suspected they mightn't. I like my stealth games to be analogue controlled (as well as having more than 8 movement directions) so the controller, which is hot-swappable with the keyboard, soon took over.

I've no idea whether the game is actually good or not though. Time will tell.

The Adventure Starts Here!
SO, I started playing Jazzpunk last night. Such a lot of fun. Humor is clever, and I had some fun with some of the side "missions." (The flies in the vase store were particularly fun.)

Thanks for the recommendation, Yoda. So far, hilarious!

Glad you like it. Courtney and I'll probably start it up again this weekend. I naturally want to explore every nook and cranny anyway, so it's nice to have a game that rewards that instinct.

A system of cells interlinked
I will absolutely play co-op Titanfall with you guys. There are so few games I can play in a group and have fun with; I'd love to find a good one to play with some MoFos.

I will fire another volley for MWO. It's not twitchy, and is more about shot placement and teamwork - great for folks my age! FTP, and runs on most systems...

I will check out Titanfall, too!

The Adventure Starts Here!
Glad you like it. Courtney and I'll probably start it up again this weekend. I naturally want to explore every nook and cranny anyway, so it's nice to have a game that rewards that instinct.
Yeah, there were a few things in the first mission area that I didn't do because I, well, moved forward into the mission too far and couldn't get back out to do things characters were telling me to do.

I think that one guy in the first part is still rolling around in the middle of the street.

I will fire another volley for MWO. It's not twitchy, and is more about shot placement and teamwork - great for folks my age! FTP, and runs on most systems...

I will check out Titanfall, too!
Will try and have a look but I just fear the time it will take to learn to walk in it

I understand shooty-face, even if I'm more adapt at get-shot-in-face