The Videogames Tab

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
I like Anno because I used to play the crap out of Zeus (and other Sierra builders), and I hadn't found anything since that scratched that particular itch. I play this for the planning and building and economy stuff, almost ignoring the military component completely, as it seems a bit tacked on (if well) in this game.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Posidon? Caesar III? All the old Sierra stiff is on GOG, in fact give them a shot to see if they've got anything similar. My favourite was Caesar III.

Tried Grand Ages Rome a while back but couldn't get into it, same with Children Of The Nile.

A system of cells interlinked
Yeah, I have all those, but I wanted something new that I hadn't played all the maps to death on. Zeus was always my favorite, for its particular blend of humor, relaxing city planning, and silly world events.

That said, Anno series is probably my favorite newer city builder at this point. It just seems so alive!

Right, OBS isn't working at all for me and Fraps gives me a 17GB file for 5 minutes of gameplay (at 30fps!), so I've taken the plunge and bought DXtory to record stuff.

Once I've got it learned I shall be taking requests for my first Let's Play. I'm thinking either a mahoosively modded Skyrim, Enslaved: Odyssey To The West or Arcanum.

Yeah, I have all those, but I wanted something new that I hadn't played all the maps to death on. Zeus was always my favorite, for its particular blend of humor, relaxing city planning, and silly world events.
Yeah, Zeus is the best city builder ever. The gameplay had the right level of refinement from the developments in Caesar III and Pharaoh, and the use of elite housing as the source of military power was very ingenious. Emperor, the one they made right after Zeus, also was very good (almost exactly same gameplay but a bit less fun since it didn't have gods and stuff) but I think it failed completely in terms of sales.

I've got three 50% off Crusader Kings II coupons in my Steam inventory. If anyone wants one, just say so.

Think I've settled on DXtory for my YouTube recording now. Still fiddling around with codecs which give maximum quality for minimum size and system stress but you can see the difference compared to OBS:

&feature=c4-overview&list=UUbmzC3PiHn1NeOg0Q9VX-yg

&feature=c4-overview&list=UUbmzC3PiHn1NeOg0Q9VX-yg

I'll need to get my mic settings correct then I'm all set.

there's a frog in my snake oil
So I built another giant folly in Minecraft…

I think this one might actually work. Kinda. It is stuffed to the brim with 'redstone' electronics, which might still make it a lag-fest, and my server has decided it ain't gonna serve right now, so I can't give it a full run through. But fingers crossed, I've made a wee game within a game

If you're after the challenge of building another folly, you could try the one I can see from my livingroom window. Brackenridge's Folly.

The shape's a bit uncomplicated, I'll admit.

Where do you find the time for this?

Related: how long did that take?
I don't know! I normally try and sneak in an hour and a bit every night during telly watching (but it is frustrating to work that slowly if I'm on a roll, so sometimes I'll sacrifice some sleep for it). It's pretty much my gaming time (and would have been wholly, if it weren't for that highly immoral GTA launch! )

I think it's about 8 months I've been plugging away at 3 different maps now (deciding that each in turn is too fecking ambitious, and then getting carried away and totally over-expanding/engineering the latest build ). Hard to say how long any particular thing takes. That stadium setting there was prob about 3 hours work I'd guess, using an edit tool (not placing indiv blocks in-game, that'd be silly! ). The really tricky stuff is normally the redstone/electrics that get hidden behind the scenes, and working out new mechanics which might make a fun map.

----

@Tatty - That sir, is the perfect Minecraft build

I think this one might actually work. Kinda. It is stuffed to the brim with 'redstone' electronics, which might still make it a lag-fest, and my server has decided it ain't gonna serve right now, so I can't give it a full run through. But fingers crossed, I've made a wee game within a game
Okay, I don't play Minecraft, simply because I lack the patience to do something even close to that, but that is freaking sweet.

Cheers

I've still got to make sure it works properly at like multiple frames a second, but getting there (I did totally cheat and do the big building in an editing program though. No zen-like block-placing for me )

I'm having a new year clearout of all the gaming clutter I've accrued over the years. All I really need is a good keyboard, a good mouse and a spare one of each so goodbye to the ancient Belkin Nostromo, the newer Razer Nostromo and probably the Logitech G13.

Better posture beats a one-handed keypad sitting on your lap, I've found.

The Belkin made silly money (as much as I paid for it new 10 years ago) and only slightly less than the newer Razer.

If it keeps going at this rate I'll be able to get a new CPU/Mobo without spending a penny.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
What is that meant to be in the middle of the Stadium?

Did you ever see the Mines of Moria that some kids created apparently in Survival mode? Unbelievable!

Finally purchased and played through Bioshock: Infinite. WOW. That is all I could say after the credits rolled, followed shortly by a "what?" This was my most highly anticipated game of 2013, with GTA 5 being a close runner up, and it certainly didn't disappoint.

First of all, the game looks absolutely gorgeous. From the bright and sunny outdoors to the dark and foreboding museum and factory, every level is a sight to behold. It really draws you into the world, and keeps you invested. This is just from my Xbox as well.

Now, on to the shining achievement of this game, and Bioshock games before it. The vision and storytelling. Ken Levine has such an imagination, and he really outdoes himself with this one. The attention to detail is very noticeable, and every piece of dialogue has meaning behind it. There are games with good plots, then there are Bioshock games.

Finally, the ending. I won't say anything about it except that it's damn good, but if you've played this game, you'll know why it deserves its own section.

Basically, I see this game as a work of art. This is the high standard that all video games should strive towards. Just amazing. All who were involved in the creation of this should be really proud of themselves. Brilliant.

10/10
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Finally purchased and played through Bioshock: Infinite. WOW. That is all I could say after the credits rolled, followed shortly by a "what?" This was my most highly anticipated game of 2013, with GTA 5 being a close runner up, and it certainly didn't disappoint.

First of all, the game looks absolutely gorgeous. From the bright and sunny outdoors to the dark and foreboding museum and factory, every level is a sight to behold. It really draws you into the world, and keeps you invested. This is just from my Xbox as well.

Now, on to the shining achievement of this game, and Bioshock games before it. The vision and storytelling. Ken Levine has such an imagination, and he really outdoes himself with this one. The attention to detail is very noticeable, and every piece of dialogue has meaning behind it. There are games with good plots, then there are Bioshock games.

Finally, the ending. I won't say anything about it except that it's damn good, but if you've played this game, you'll know why it deserves its own section.

Basically, I see this game as a work of art. This is the high standard that all video games should strive towards. Just amazing. All who were involved in the creation of this should be really proud of themselves. Brilliant.

10/10
I'm glad you like it! My fav game of the year

I finished Resident Evil 6...I'm big fan of Resident Evil so it is hard for me to watch it these days,total crap...If you guys played older Resident Evil games,then run from this!Dont play Resident Evil 6 if you are a fan of franchise...I felt like I'm in CoD not in RS...It really sucks,if whole game was Leons story then i whould be like "it was not awesome but it is ok" but noooooooooooo kids need action,don't teach them to use brain...God,you can play as superhuman!They are now in deep ****...I don't know can they come back,maybe if they start over.I know someone will say "but they don't want to make survival horrors anymore",but ffs RS WAS PURE GOLD,WHY WHOULD SOMEONE STOP MAKING GOLD!!!I mean i don't want RS to be an action game,but let's say for a sec I'm ok with it ,at least make a good fps not this crap that tries to be 4 diffrent genres at same time...Eh...

VERDICT 3-10(Only cuz it has Resident Evil title...)

I don't follow Resident Evil, but I know that the original is a very good game. Funny review of yet another disappointing sequel!
This is a pretty easy way to explain RS:
RS1-Awesome game,first official survival horror,first to do a lot of things,sales like crazy...Can they make it better?
RS2-Yes they can make it better,again inventing a lot of new things,fantastic atmosphere,one of best atmosphere in gaming world,they did it again,sold even more than first one.Yet another game that scared the **** out of us...
RS3-Nemesis-It was good,again a horror,nothing new,old formula,they done it good,made a lot of money,sold a lot of copies.
RS-CODE VERONICA-Best horror game of the year,sold like crazy,first horror on new gen...New things,again scared the **** out of us.
RS4-Showed us how to mix action and horror,how to create pure gold,sold better than any other RS,best game of the year!
RS5-FFS,wtf,how?,why? DAMN IT!Baby could play rs5 not scary at all!They try to make it scary ,they gived as low ammo smart move,but one problem WHEN YOU GIVE US LOW AMMO THEN DONT THROW MILION ZOMBIES AT US LIKE IT IS AN FPS!!!
RS6- you alredy know my thought on that...
Just pathetic,they should kiss Shinji Mikamis ass,they let him go after RS4...God...