Movie Tab II

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
Part of my issue with the film is the way it almost glorifies the final scene. Throughout the movie Mookie points out to his buddy that it's not a race thing, or that it's no big deal that there are no pictures of black men on the wall, but at the end it's like he he has an epiphany or something that causes him to snap. He throws the garbage can through the window. To me it almost seems like this is supposed to be his character's redemption. John Turturro's character is the only one in that establishment that is actually racist though.

I agree, Daniel. It's actually one of the most impressive films i've seen, in terms of direction. It's incredibly well shot. The writing also felt real to me.

I don't care for the spinning shots, the scene where the characters hurl racial slurs and insults (not because of that, but the way it was shot i.e., zooming in and out and whirling around.) There were several instances of things like that that got on my nerves. It just isn't my style I guess.

Part of my issue with the film is the way it almost glorifies the final scene. Throughout the movie Mookie points out to his buddy that it's not a race thing, or that it's no big deal that there are no pictures of black men on the wall, but at the end it's like he he has an epiphany or something that causes him to snap. He throws the garbage can through the window. To me it almost seems like this is supposed to be his character's redemption. John Turturro's character is the only one in that establishment that is actually racist though.
You are oversimplifying it. I also couldn't see how Lee 'glorified' that moment. If anything, he made it look extremely negative.

I don't care for the spinning shots, the scene where the characters hurl racial slurs and insults (not because of that, but the way it was shot i.e., zooming in and out and whirling around.) There were several instances of things like that that got on my nerves. It just isn't my style I guess.
I guess not. I loved those parts. I thought that was really fresh and inventive.
It has become one of those memorable moments in modern film history.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Disappearances (Jay Craven, 2006)
+
Lions For Lambs (Robert Redford, 2007)
+
Total Recall (Len Wiseman, 2012)
+
Soylent Green (Richard Fleischer, 1973)

One Way Out (Allan A. Goldstein, 2002)
+
Hope Springs (David Frankel, 2012)

Sleepers (Barry Levinson, 1996)

Saturday Night Fever (John Badham, 1977)
-

Premium Rush (David Koepp, 2012)

The Loss of a Teardrop Diamond (Jodie Markell, 2008)
+
Ride Out for Revenge (Bernard Girard, 1957)

Hysteria (Tanya Wexler, 2011)

Sinners and Saints (William Kaufman, 2010)

Beautiful Boy (Shawn Ku, 2010)

Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star (Tom Brady, 2011)
+
To the Wonder (Terrence Malick, 2013)

Layer Cake (Matthew Vaughn, 2004)

Above Suspicion (Richard Thorpe, 1943)
+
Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride: Hunter S. Thompson on Film (Tom Thurman, 2006)
+
Delicatessan (Marc Caro & Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 1991)

it doesn't make sense to me how the the riot at the end should happen the way it did. I don't want to spoil anything for anybody who might want to see it, but I will just say that for the message of the film, I feel like Spike Lee should have had somebody stop the riot in a positive manner instead of the way it happened. Maybe that would have been too melodramatic or schmaltzy but I got mixed signals out of it. The quotes at the end didn't help clarify anything either, because the Malcolm X quote spoke of self-defense, but the Italian pizzeria owners weren't the ones that killed anybody.
Ossie Davis' character does stand before the crowd and attempt to diffuse the situation but is pushed aside. To me this is more realistic because nobody else is behaving rationally, and throughout the movie Da Mayor is portrayed as a wordly-wise type who, having dropped out of society is able to view events as an impartial outsider - even though he's black and considered part of the community. Mother Sister is also doing this, but she seems warped by material wealth and status and is lumped in with the rest of society when we see her baying with the crowd at the end of the movie. On seeing the destruction the following morning she weeps because that is all their actions have achieved -Destruction and suffering. Lee's message is clear to me, even though there are many shades of morality within his story. He's basically saying that you have to fight the power, but in an intelligent and constructive way. Some things (such as demanding black heroes adorn the walls of an Italian Pizzeria) are just misguided and not worth it.

On a side note. Even though Sal is very liberal and likable throughout the movie; he does eventually stoop to racial slurs when provoked and confronted by Radio Raheem.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Girls, Guns, and Gambling
+ cheesy, corny, cliche-filled with tongue firmly in cheek lil tale using the ole noir premise of a down on his luck fella (christian slater) who winds up in the wrong place at the wrong time and everyone is after him for it. Filled with Elvis impersonaters, a stolen apache mask, a pretty blonde in black with guns, corruption, greed and the crazy twist and turn of said noir premise.

Perrier's Bounty
(Irish) Already in deep, Michael McCrea spirals deeper still along with his neighbor and his da (who's dying, or so the grim reaper told him) in a very well done gritty, intelligently written, visceral story mixed with dark humor and some damn fine acting by everyone involved.

Sharknado
- Oh, it's such a shame, it could've really worked but, instead, what we have is lots of "whoa! Cool!" bits that are strung together without any care of attention. Or, to quote my g/f with about 10 minutes to go; "This isn't even a film. It's a series of scenes they've put together." That's not to say we didn't enjoy it but, unlike Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus or even Sharktopus, I can't see this as having much, if any, rewatchability. There was one moment where it did something I wasn't expecting, which gave me a certain amount of respect for it but, sadly, it undid it at the end and you know exactly what's going to happen just before it does.

Premium Rush (David Koepp, 2012)

Layer Cake (Matthew Vaughn, 2004)

Delicatessan (Marc Caro & Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 1991)

I would give both Layer Cake and Premium Rush slightly higher ratings,
, I think they're both good little films, although I haven't seen the first in a while. And I was planning on watching Delicatessan before I did my 90s list but I didn't have time.

Also, Soylent Green...

WARNING: "Soylent Green" spoilers below
will I enjoy it even though (I think) I know what happens in it?

Premium Rush was cinematic but stupid. Layer Cake seemed like a better idea than a well-done movie. Soylent Green starts off slowly but evolves and builds up a head of steam before it gets to the end. I'd give it the same rating without the ending, which I assume is what you think you know. That image I posted from it is actually my favorite part.

Premium Rush was cinematic but stupid. Layer Cake seemed like a better idea than a well-done movie. Soylent Green starts off slowly but evolves and builds up a head of steam before it gets to the end. I'd give it the same rating without the ending, which I assume is what you think you know. That image I posted from it is actually my favorite part.
I kind of agree about Premium Rush in that the whole ticket story and plot is a bit silly, but the cinematic elements/scenes were enjoyable and made up for it for me, a decent kind-of-action film.

Soylent Green starts off slowly but evolves and builds up a head of steam before it gets to the end...That image I posted from it is actually my favorite part.
That ''euthanasia'' death sequence is the most profound part of Soylent Green, and Edward G. Robinson plays a lovely role in his last film. I agree Soylent Green shouldn't be defined by what has become a famous revelatory ending. The real substance is with Sol and Thorn's friendship, and the social commentary regarding the perils of overpopulation and pollution.

A system of cells interlinked
Hey Mark!

Just wondering about Total Recall. I think I gave it around the same grade, and I thought it was a fairly decent flick, with maybe one or two too many action scenes dragging it down a bit in the third act. One thing that is kind of bugging me though: Why did ANY of this happen? In the 90s version, they have to wipe Hauser's mind because the rebels have an actual mind-reader on their side he has to get by. Not in this version, though. So...why did they do all this again?

It's basically the same reason. Kuato is no longer a mutant - he's the resistance leader Matthias, who still has ways to get key info out of Quaid. It's just presented much more subtly. Of course, Cohaagen is still a lying, sneaky SOB, so there's another reason this has been orchestrated... (and you know what that is).

The Haunted Mansion (Rob Minkoff, 2003)

For Love or Money (Barry Sonnenfeld, 1993)
+
Here Comes the Boom (Frank Coraci, 2012)
-
When Harry Met Sally… (Rob Reiner, 1989)

Miss Nobody (Tim Cox, 2010)

Hammerboy (Tae-geun Ahn, 2003)

Darling Companion (Lawrence Kasdan, 2012)

Snow Cake (Marc Evans, 2006)

The Last Tycoon (Elia Kazan, 1976)

Confessions of an Action Star (Brad Martin, 2005)

Rooster Cogburn (Stuart Millar, 1975)

Chicken With Plums (Vincent Paronnaud & Marjane Satrapi, 2011)
+

The Cat and the Fiddle (William K. Howard, 1934)

Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (Fred Niblo, 1925)
+ Classic Rating:

Never So Few (John Sturges, 1959)

Where Do We Go Now? (Nadine Labaki, 2011)

My Afternoons With Margueritte (Jean Becker, 2011)

The Patriot (Roland Emmerich, 2000)
+
High Spirits (Neil Jordan, 1988)

The Guard (John Michael McDonagh, 2011)
+

Planes Trains and Automobiles wins my most over the top inappropriate 80's soundtrack of all time award. The super cheesy ending all made sense when i saw two seconds later, "Directed by John Hughes".

Clue really takes off when Tim Curry starts retelling the entire movie and the alternate endings were a cool way to wrap it up.

I recently fell in love with Hoop Dreams, but Interrupters is a lot more messy and unfocused. The final scene with Flamo was really something though.

Blood Simple. (1984; Coen Brothers) - The Coens make a spectacular debut with a neo-noir filled with twists and turns like only they can provide, but unlike a lot of their work this very serious. It's one of the best films of the 80s.

Night on Earth (1991; Jim Jarmusch) - At times really funny, other times it's really sweet. It's a little uneven, but that happens frequently with anthology type movies. It's certainly a worthwhile experience.

Shane (1953; George Stevens) - Correct me if I am wrong, but most westerns of the time were still in black & white, right? Well, Shane is in color and it's really beautiful to look at. Some scenes were shot in a studio, and some were shot on location in California and Wyoming. They all look great though. Some of the other aspects of the film that might seem cliche or corny are all made up for with charm. Something I can't quite put my finger on about this film helps it a lot. It just feels good.

The Hitcher (1986; Robert Harmon) - Rutger Hauer plays a memorable villain, John Ryder is his best. Outside of Rutger, it's still an above-average thriller, but he takes it over the top to make it a legitimate cult classic.

Maniac (1980; William Lustig) - Holy butts, this is good. Really good. Sleazy. Vile. Violent. Dirty. Grimy. Beautiful. Dazzling. Surreal. Near perfect.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
In Time -

The World's End -

The Bourne Identity -

The Bourne Supremacy -

Reviews