Mojo Filter's Top 20 Female Solo Artists

Tools    

I have to admit that I've only repped Perry because she's really fit. I've heard some of her stuff and it's ok, though I can understand why so many don't like her/it.

I didn't even like Mariah Carey when she first appeared. All that stupid vocal gymnastics really grates. Whitney was bad enough, but I felt she often used it as an instrument and didn't over do it. Well, not at first, anyway. Whereas Mariah just OD'd on it from the start.

I agree. Mariah and Whitney's vocal gymnastics got quite annoying near the end, when it became too ridiculous. Not sure if you've heard their duet..

9. WHITNEY HOUSTON
I've been a listener of Whitney's music since I was a little boy. Her multiple classics, amazing voice, and physical beauty made her one of the most incredible female singers of all time.

My favorite songs:
The Greatest Love Of All
I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)
How Will I Know
I'm Your Baby Tonight
I Will Always Love You
Exhale (Shoop Shoop)
My Love Is Your Love
I Have Nothing

You have some diverse taste Mojo. I missed most of your men's list but went back and gave you rep. Here, I am like you and have always listened to more men vocalists and bands. A few of these I listened to in middle school but really haven't since. Paula Abdul was all over my wall as a kid. The exception is Natalie Merchant, Tigerlilly is one of my favorite albums ever and you mentioning her makes me want to bust it back out.

You have some diverse taste Mojo. I missed most of your men's list but went back and gave you rep. Here, I am like you and have always listened to more men vocalists and bands. A few of these I listened to in middle school but really haven't since. Paula Abdul was all over my wall as a kid. The exception is Natalie Merchant, Tigerlilly is one of my favorite albums ever and you mentioning her makes me want to bust it back out.
It's as diverse as my taste in movies And thanks for the reps!
I had an obsession with Paula when I was 13 and 14 that faded away once I got more into rock music.
In my first year of college, a friend of mine introduced me to Natalie Merchant's Tigerlilly. Great album. Amazing songs. Underrated singer.

8. JANET JACKSON
Michael's baby sister has been making great tunes ever since I was in elementary school. She's by far one of the coolest and "baddest" female solo artists in history.

My favorite songs:
Nasty
What Have You Done For Me Lately?
When I Think Of You
Black Cat
That's The Way Love Goes
Whoops Now
Runaway
Got 'Til It's Gone
If

7. CYNDI LAUPER
From the moment Cyndi Lauper let the world know that girls wanted to have fun, the eccentric, sexy and delightful pop queen conquered the charts, airwaves, and MTV with her amazing voice and timeless classic pop tunes and videos.

My favorite songs:
Girls Just Want To Have Fun
She Bop
All Through The Night
The Goonies 'R' Good Enough
True Colors
I Drove All Night
Time After Time

6. ADELE
In case people have been living in a bubble for the last 5 years or so, there is a new female music sensation who has been towering over every other artist. Her name is Adele, and her voice alone, let alone her moving songs of loss and despair, will send shivers down any man, woman, or child's spine. Her latest song, Hello, premiered on October 23, and within 24 hours, the song had accumulated approximately 25 million views on Youtube. The more she will make music, the higher she will go on my list.

My favorite songs:
Rolling In The Deep
Someone Like You
Skyfall
Hello
Set Fire To The Rain

In case you guys have not heard it yet, here is Adele's new song Hello, which has so far managed to get 54 million views on Youtube in only 2 days. Phenomenal! Amazing video and song!

5. PAT BENATAR

I've been a listener of Pat Benatar's music ever since I was in grade school. Her badass attitude and punk/pop style of music appealed to me from early on. She's definitely one of the coolest female performers in history.

My favorite songs:
Hit Me With Your Best Shot
Fire And Ice
Shadows Of The Night
We Belong
Invincible
Love Is A Battlefield

4. ALANIS MORISSETTE
Canadian teenybopper turned badass pop rocker Alanis Morissette took the world by storm when I was fresh out of high school, and I got caught up in it. Her shrewd, brash, emotionally raw, and unfiltered, uncensored lyrics about relationships and life played like youth anthems in the mid-90's.

My favorite songs:
You Oughta Know
Ironic
You Learn
Thank U
That I Would Be Good
Hands Clean
Hand In My Pocket

Ok top 3 I have to go with Joplin, Jett, and Madonna.

Good guesses, cricket

I actually never got around to exploring Janis's music thoroughly, although I do like a few of her songs like Cry Baby, Me And Bobby McGee, and Piece Of My Heart.

Joan Jett always had the Blackhearts as a back up band so I was confused whether she was really a solo artist or part of a band. Of course, I love many of her songs like I Love Rock 'N Roll, Bad Reputation, and I Hate Myself For Lovin' You.

Keep guessing...

Rep just because Jagged Little Pill is such a magnificent album. I'll never know how many times I listened to that.

I remember it like it was yesterday. Me walking into a record store in the summer of '96 and buying new copies of Oasis's (What's The Story) Morning Glory, and Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill on CD, because the ones I had were either worn out, lost, borrowed by me from a friend, or on cassette. I still have those 2 copies to this very day.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
What's so odd about them? They're just songs. Great ones, if you ask me.

I'm noticing I'm getting less and less feedback from MoFo's with these threads.

I've been following this thread, but I usually prefer male voices to female voices, so there aren't many female vocalists who would make my top artists list.