The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Exactly if we were to go by Jals idea, you'd have 84 for your number 1 and say 50 for your number 35, while someone who's only watched 50; despite any circumstances limiting their movie watching gets the same amount for their #1 as your #35. I get that Jal brought up the point about this not being a competition and i agree, but it also seems like a competion for the users who post just as much or maybe more than us to watch a certain amount of movies for their vote to count at all.
Nah, that's the wrong way to interpret it. The right way is: if you want to influence more a top list, you should be more acquainted with the field, which means more people will watch more movies they need to watch (such as all movies in the top 50 of my top 100 animations ). Also, others wouldn't watch like 50 out of a 100 because people like me and Zotis would nominate a ton of violent anime which nobody else has watched. Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks would become more diluted than in here.

I couldn't care less about influencing the list, and i'd watch whatever you and Zotis voted for; i'd probably find a few excellent fillms there no doubt. Still people that have their preferences, that aren't willing to watch certain movies lists would become irrelevant; and as been said before the participation level would go down, not to mention the fact that it would take at least twice as long to get a countdown together something i thought you'd be against since you seem almost as impatient as SC.

The reason behind this method is not competition, it's that you must watch stuff to properly compare it. This is not brought to favor those who are more versed, since its primary purpose is trying to homogenize. I am surprised at this interpretation of the format as a competition. How is it more or less competitive than this format? Why is it a bad thing? What about the Halls of Fame? Should they be considered competitive and unfair systems because Random MoFo #1 had watched 8 entries and Random MoFo #2 only 1? If it's a matter of deadlines and organization, if there is not enough time or depends on the personal situation of each user, this part of the format can be refined or redefined. But rejecting it because it's competitive, when it is not any more or less than any top100, tournament or Hall of Fame?

Well the Hall of Fame is designed to be for a select amount of regulars that are willing to watch and discuss the nominated films, of course a few people join and don't follow through but that's to be expected and it usually evens out to the majority for as far as i've seen it anyway. I'm pretty sure the Fifth HOF has had the most members at 16, if you are interested in a countdown with a similar number of participants; maybe double then go for it i'll participate but i still think you are underestimating how disastrous the second round would be. Also whether everyone has beeen honest or not, the HOF requires you to view every film before you vote.

I think i worded it wrong when i was talking about it as a competition. If anything it's seems more like a competition in the second round, certain members who regularly participate in these countdowns, votes will become meaningless because they've only seen say 40 films from the 100 and aren't willing, and/or don't have the time to watch another 44 films to equal Guaps vote, same goes for any list with Holden or Mark or whatever.

Again i'll participate either way, but i don't think it will work here .

I am already used to that. I love Kreator, the German thrash metal band, and I don't get angry when that band doesn't show up on the covers of US/Canada music magazines like Rolling Stone or never wins the Grammy. It's just too good for the mainstream.

Why don't you make a top animations thread like I did with TV series and movies/OVAs?
I've already started some work on it, but I need to wait until some of the movie watching on my plate gets resolved so I can free up time. I have a lot on my plate at the moment.

On a seperate note I liked jal90's idea, and he did say it was done on another site. I'd participate.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
jal90's idea takes all the fun out of the countdown aspect, though! If we all know what the top 100 films are and are just waiting to see what order they placed in, that's nowhere near as fun as the countdowns as they are revealed now, when we aren't sure what will even be on the list. Notice how these countdowns always run out of steam a bit by the top 5, because we all know what they are already, the discussion then happens before the reveals. I also think you run the risk of far more 'tactical' voting in the initial round.

2. Up - Voting Stats

Total Points: 724
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
45 Votes: Three 1st Place (25 pts. each), 2nd Place (24 pts.), Five 3rd Place (23 pts. each), Four 4th Place (22 pts. each), Two 5th Place (21 pts. each), Two 6th Place (20 pts. each), Two 7th Place (19 pts. each), Five 8th Place (18 pts. each), 9th Place (17 pts.), Two 11th Place (15 pts. each), Three 12th Place (14 pts. each), Two 13th Place (13 pts. each), 14th Place (12 pts.), Two 15th Place (11 pts. each), 16th Place (10 pts.), 17th Place (9 pts.), Two 18th Place (8 pts. each), 19th Place (7 pts.), 20th Place (6 pts.), 21st Place (5 pts.), Two 22nd Place (4 pts. each), 24th Place (2 pts.)

1. Toy Story - Voting Stats

Total Points: 727
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
44 Votes: Three 1st Place (25 pts. each), Four 2nd Place (24 pts. each), 3rd Place (23 pts.), Two 4th Place (22 pts. each), Four 5th Place (21 pts. each), Three 6th Place (20 pts. each), Three 7th Place (19 pts. each), Three 8th Place (18 pts. each), Four 10th Place (16 pts. each), Two 11th Place (15 pts. each), 12th Place (14 pts.), 14th Place (12 pts.), Two 15th Place (11 pts. each), Two 16th Place (10 pts. each), Five 17th Place (9 pts. each), Two 18th Place (8 pts. each), 19th Place (7 pts.), 22nd Place (4 pts.)

Special Note: As the the list took shape, several movies held the number one position for a significant length of time. Had voting been shut down at different points in the process, we might've ended up with Aladdin, The Lion King, or WALL·E as our number one film on the countdown. In particular, Up held the number one position for the longest time, barely edging out Toy Story by one or two points. Right up until the very last ballot came in, Up was poised to be our number one film - standing in a numerical tie with Toy Story, but having received one more vote.

But that last ballot had Up at number 4 and Toy Story at number 1, giving the latter those 3 little points that put it on top.

Three points.

Three motherf***ing points.

I've been stewing over this crap for two months now and all this time I've been blaming Gatsby, but it turns out it wasn't just his fault. I'm looking at you Christine!!

Besides being able to move me to tears with a 10 minute montage - creating a love story that is far more moving and effective than most films can manage in two hours or so - Up presents a fantastic adventure full of breathtaking sights and wonderful characters. Besides the oft mentioned relationship between Carl and Ellie, I found the friendship between Carl and Russell to be almost as poignant.

Most surprising to me though is how much I love Dug. I'm a dyed in the wool, life-long cat lover, but something about that goofy, sweet, and not-so-bright but very loyal pup just makes me smile.

Up was my #1.

My Complete Ballot

01. Up (#2)
02. Ratatouille (#8)
03. Mary and Max. (#23)
04. Wreck-It Ralph (#27)
05. WALL•E (#4)
06. Surf’s Up (#99)
07. The Nightmare Before Christmas (#14)
08. Over the Hedge (Near Miss)
09. Chicken Run (#51)
10. Charlotte’s Web (#57)
11. Despicable Me (#61)
12. Waltz With Bashir (#26)
13. Brother Bear
14. Bolt
15. Knick Knack
16. The Emporer’s New Groove (#80)
17. Meet the Robinsons
18. Ernest and Celestine
19. Flushed Away
20. The Land Before Time
21. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (#42)
22. Lilo & Stitch (#83)
23. How To Train Your Dragon (#19)
24. Bambi (#50)
25. Cars

Oh well.

Obviously, Up was my #1. Not a difficult choice: it was the first film I put on the list and I never even entertained moving it.

I'm not too upset: that's obviously a very high ranking and when this list started I wasn't especially confident it would be in the top two (I thought it could drift to fourth or fifth, potentially). But man, three points? That's nuts. I almost wish the gap were higher.

Now that it's done, though, let me be the first (but definitely not the last) to say: great job, Vicky!

I loved the stat breakdowns, I love the animated graphics (both created and chosen), and you did a great job rustling up votes, too. To those who haven't run one of these, it's a lot of work, so give her a huge round of applause not just for doing a great job, but just for doing it!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Up was my number 3. Ever since I saw it at the theater I thought it was a really good film, especially the mentioned beginning to the film. I'm just a sucker for adventure films, so this one also fits the bill.

My Full Top 25 Animated List
1. Spirited Away
2. Finding Nemo
3. Up
4. Ratatouille
5. Wall E
6. The Lion King
7. Aladdin
8. Fantastic Planet
9. My Neighbor Totoro
10. Brave Little Toaster
11. Mary and Max
12. Alice in Wonderland
13. Grave of the Fireflies
14.The Incredibles
15. Castle of Cagliostro
16. Pinocchio
17. Shrek
18. Charlottes Web
19. Shrek 2
20. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
21. Sword in the Stone
22. Castle in the Sky
23. The Polar Express
24. Rise of the Guardians
25. the Croods

Should have included Fantastic Mr. Fox, but I submitted a ballot before I saw it.

Porco Rosso would have made it too! Had I seen that in time.

Alice in Wonderland should have been higher on my list, as previously stated.

Polar Express and Guardians would be booted to make room for Fox and Porco.

I'm interested in knowing how many points Sword in the Stone and Castle of Caglistro had when you've the time, Miss Vicky.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I had Up at #21 and Toy Story at #10, so I'm one of the many responsible for the final result. The first Toy Story is obviously my favorite - love the dark comedy, My thoughts on Up.

Up (Pete Docter & Bob Peterson, 2009)

Most people already know about and/or have seen Up, so I'm not going to spend too much time discussing the plot any more than I'd like to mention that it covers about 70 years and involves friendship, love, marriage, family, adventure, dreams, trust, flying, children, pets, doing the right thing, believing in yourself, growing up, inner strength, fearlessness, and teaching old dogs new tricks, amongst many other great subjects.

Another thing I love about Up (and this can be said about most Pixar flicks just with different details) is that they love movies just as much as we film buffs do because after all who are these filmmakers? They're just film buffs like you and me who are lucky enough to make their own dreams come true by creating films which pay homage to those that we all grew up with and love. Up seems to pay homage to The Lost World (1925), Hell's Angels, King Kong (1933), The Wizard of Oz, Buck Rogers, The Red Balloon, Sleeper, A Boy and His Dog, Star Wars (I was laughing my butt off at that one!), Raiders of the Lost Ark, Fitzcarraldo, The Witches, The Rocketeer, Jurassic Park, The Incredibles and several more.

Michael Giacchino, the composer of Up's beautiful score and haunting theme, is quickly becoming one of my fave current musical score composers. He now has done The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Star Trek and Up in the last five years. As far as a few other personal comments I have to make, irrelevant of whether others have shared them, Up has got to be one of the best titles of any movie ever made. Not only does it describe how the film transports itself from one setting to another, but it also describes how it transports most of its characters and hopefully all its viewers from beginning of the film to its conclusion. Up is a definite "feel-good" movie which should make people feel happy to be alive, so I hope you find it an "Up" because although I know there are millions of people out there who actually prefer "downer" movies because you see them as more realistic and a maturing of the cinematic ethos to rise above "fairy tales" and just tell it like it is... you know, you're going to die, get used to it; what matter does it make if you have a chance to be happy now and then? Movies need to tell the truth, and the truth is a downer! Sorry, but I don't think that a movie which has a happy ending (LIES?) is good and one that has an "unhappy" ending is bad. I just think that you should allow movies to work their magic on you no matter what they seem to represent, and perhaps more importantly, no matter how you feel about what constitutes a "real" movie and a "fake" movie. Up is just about as real as movies get, and there's no allegedly "real" person ever seen on the screen. HA!
My complete list:

1. The Incredibles
2. Dumbo
3. Alice in Wonderland
4. Beauty and the Beast
5. Bolero/Evolution/Allegro non Troppo
6. Ratatouille
7. Pinocchio
8. Fantasia
9. Iron Giant
10. Toy Story
11. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
12. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
13. Duck Amuck
14. Darkness Light Darkness
15. The Adventures of Prince Achmed
16. Vincent (1982)
17. The Nightmare Before Christmas
18. Grave of the Fireflies
19. The Little Mermaid
20. The Lion King
21. Up
22. How to Train Your Dragon
23. Rango
24. Mary and Max
25. Spirited Away

Well deserved.

I'd rather have Toy Story number one than UP, and I'm glad it turned out like this. Both movies made my list, but I'm much more fond of the Toy Story-series!

I admit there is something sort of appropriate about Toy Story winning, given that it was culturally (if not technically) the first of its kind, and looking back more or less ushered in a new era of animation.

Still not glad it won, but I can appreciate it on that level.

Spirited Away needed 7 more points and Up 3. Close race.

Anyway, good job, Miss Vicky! I enjoyed this countdown a lot and it was flawlessly executed.

3 points? Wow. I had Up on my list, and not Toy Story.

1. Rango
  2. Fantastic Mr. Fox
  3. Waking Life
  4. Monsters, Inc.
  5. My Neighbor Totoro
  6. The Wrong Trousers
  7. Chicken Run
  8. Tale of Tales
  9. Toy Story 2
  10. Tango
  11. WALL-E
  12. Up
  13. Duck Amuck
  14. Fantastic Planet
  15. The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
  16. Finding Nemo
  17. Princess Mononoke
  18. The Iron Giant
  19. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  20. Alice in Wonderland
  21. Fantasia
  22. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
  23. How to Train Your Dragon
  24. Tarzan
  25. Kung Fu Panda 2

Thanks for all the great work Miss Vicky

Toy Story was my #4 and Up my #12. Two really great animated films. Both felt very unique and special as soon as they were released and I think time has proven that to be true.

Great job with everything MV. I was especially fond of the number graphic. A whole lot of work, I hope you felt is was worth it. I will post my full list later from home.