The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Ratatouille when it was released on DVD, but I didn't like the movie. I couldn't understand why it got such great reviews, but at the time, it was my least favorite Pixar movie. But After reading some posts about it here on MoFo, I decided to re-watch it for this list, and I liked it a lot this time.

I don't know what changed my opinion about it, maybe it was just lower expectations, but I'm glad I decided to give it another chance because it really is a very good movie.

Having said that, it still didn't make my list, but that's just because there are so many great Pixar, (and Disney), movies, and I was trying to keep those movies to a minimum to make room for some other movies, (and shorts), that I love.

But I'm glad to see it so high on this list, especially because at least three Pixar movies that I like even more than Ratatouille still haven't shown up yet.

Ratatouille is a very enjoyable film, but it's one of my least favourites of the Pixars i've seen. Quite shocked to see Finding Nemo over the last three, wasn't aware that it was this popular here.

Also, I did not vote for any Pixar movies since I have only seen a few of them.
My learn something new on MoFo for the day. Very surprising since you are a big Disney fan. Seems like an easy transition into Pixar's stuff.

My learn something new on MoFo for the day. Very surprising since you are a big Disney fan. Seems like an easy transition into Pixar's stuff.
Well Disney got big after I got out of Disney. I only really got back into the Disney new and renewed the love for the old flicks these past few years. Just when Pixar has started to stumble a bit.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Ratatouille was my NUMBER 4. The film follows a rat named Remy whom out of his curiousity of food and cooking leads him to follows the famous cook of Gusteau. When Gusteau suddenly dies, Remy leads himself to Gusteaus cooking kitchen in Paris. Paris is simply stunningly showed as remarkable in an animated fashion, especially the scene where Remy is on the rooftop.

The characters and the story are charming. The animation is captivating and it's very easy to get caught up in the minor details of it all. The story is brought to life by the vivid colors and the imaginative screenplay. Remy escapes danger multiple times and creates a soup that is loved by its visitors while also becoming friends and a new coworker with Alfredo Linguini falsely credited for his cooking skills. Through trial and error, Remy teaches Alfredo his skills as much as he can. His manager is skeptic and seems to know a rat may have something to do with Alfredo's cooking.

My favorite scene is when Skinner is chasing Remi after Remi discovers the documents stating that Alfredo is the rightful heir to Gusteaus restaurant. The animation and music are a stellar combination in that scene.

In the end, Remy helps to win over the hearts and stomachs of Paris eaters in the films, and animated film viewers as well.

The film seems to have a good balance of funny and lighthearted moments. When I watched this film for the first time I knew it would be one of my favorite animations, and it should stay high on my list for years to come.

7. Monsters, Inc. - Voting Stats

Total Points: 534
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
37 Votes: 1st Place (25 pts.), 3rd Place (23 pts.), Five 4th Place (22 pts. each), Two 5th Place (21 pts. each), Two 6th Place (20 pts. each), Two 7th Place (19 pts. each), 8th Place (18 pts.), Two 9th Place (17 pts. each), 10th Place (16 pts.), 11th Place (15 pts.), Three 12th Place (14 pts. each), 13th Place (13 pts.), Three 14th Place (12 pts. each), 16th Place (10 pts.), Three 17th Place (9 pts. each), Three 19th Place (7 pts. each), 20th Place (6 pts.), Two 21st Place (5 pts. each), Two 22nd Place (4 pts. each)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Its been so long since I've seen Monsters Inc. The last time I saw it was in German. I do remember liking it, but i still prefer most of Pixar's other stuff over it.

Monsters, Inc. is a great movie. It's imaginative, colorful, touching and really funny. It very much deserves a place here on the countdown (though I'm annoyed that it and a certain fishy Pixar film ranked higher than Ratatouille), but I could not find a place for it on my ballot. Had I voted only for features, I probably would've put it at #24.

Finding Nemo above Monsters, Inc.? I didn't expect that.

Monsters, Inc. was my number four film. I loved it when I was growing up and I think everything about it is fantastic. Love the colours and design of the monster world, the characters are all great and the voice casting is spot on. It's a great buddy story, with a fantastic villain, and manages to be effective emotionally in its kids based story.

I like Monsters, Inc. a lot, but I like it less than I did. I remember really loving it at first. After I saw Up (and then saw it again, and again, and again) and started noticing all the things packed into it, I was excited to go back and rewatch Monsters expecting the same kind of density. I didn't find it, though. Still a very attractive, sweet movie with great performances and lovely animation (the fur stuff holds up to this day), but I don't know if it has the narrative complexity or expansive metaphors of some of Pixar's later stuff.

Still a tremendous movie, but I like it right where it is, given the other films yet to be revealed.

Monsters was my #12...

05. Dumbo (1941) - 49th
07. Coraline (2009) - 36th
08. Beavis And Butt-Head Do America (1996) - 66th
11. Aladdin (1992) - 15th
12. Monsters Inc. (2001) - 7th
13. Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs (1937) - 31st
14. Shrek (2001) - 21st
16. The Simpsons Movie (2007) - 51st
17. Watership Down (1978) - 75th
18. The Iron Giant (1999) - 22nd
20. Fantasia (1940) - 20th
21. A Scanner Darkly (2006) - 47th
22. Akira (1988) - 29th
25. Alice In Wonderland (1951) - 33rd

What's left of my list:

1. Will make it.
3. Won't make it.
4. Didn't make it
5. Will make it.
11. Will make it.
13. Won't make it.
15. Won't make it.
17. Will make it.
19. Won't make it.

I'll finish with 20 of my 25 on the list, but #3 and #4 both missing.

I had Monsters at number 17. Watched it with my little niece at Christmas and she was captivated, and scared in places too, but not too scared which makes it well balanced for little 'uns. It's a good watch for adults too, and you're right about the fur Yoda, it's still impressive

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Didn't vote for Ratatouille but Monsters Inc was my #22. I didn't care much for the sequel though.

Only one more film from my list will be showing up, my #1 film in fact. Crossing my fingers it makes #1 on this list but not holding my breath.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I had Monsters, Inc. as my #... nope, it's very good, but it didn't make my list, which looks like this now:

1. The Incredibles (#11)
2. Dumbo (#49)
3. Alice in Wonderland (#33)
4. Beauty and the Beast (#12)
5. Bolero/Evolution/Allegro non Troppo (#77)
6. Ratatouille (#8)
7. Pinocchio (#24)
8. Fantasia (#20)
9. Iron Giant (#22)
10. Coming!
11. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (#30)
12. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#70)
13. Duck Amuck (#55)
14. Darkness Light Darkness (Did not make it)
15. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (#110)
16. Vincent (1982) (#109)
17. The Nightmare Before Christmas (#14)
18. Grave of the Fireflies (#13)
19. The Little Mermaid (#37)
20. Coming!
21. Coming!
22. How to Train Your Dragon (#19)
23. Rango (#34)
24. Mary and Max (#23)
25. Coming!

I did not have Monster's Inc. on my list, and I think I kind of left it out even though I really like it. It could maybe have been between 20-25 or even has high as 16-25, but in the end I did not put it on there...

Great animated flick though.