The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Whisper of the Heart was never going to make my list. Sure, it's sweet and all that, but there's just not a lot to it. There's a girl, there's a boy, they go through several periods of "meet cute", and there's also a gold cat. It's a standard Ghibli film which doesn't explore it's themes as well as Totoro or Spirited Away did. Basic.
I'd say there's way more to the film than simply that.

Anyway, A Scanner Darkly, Whisper of the Heart and Fantastic Planet were truly serious candidates for my list, but I ultimately left all of them out. On another day, all three of them could've certainly been on it, though.

Three great, good-looking and thoughtful films...

I have yet to see Ghost in the Shell.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
I'd say there's way more to the film than simply that.

Anyway, A Scanner Darkly, Whisper of the Heart and Fantastic Planet were truly serious candidates for my list, but I ultimately left all of them out. On another day, all three of them could've certainly been on it, though.

Three great, good-looking and thoughtful films...

I have yet to see Ghost in the Shell.
It's by no means a bad film, but it just seems so straightforward. I don't feel the magic that I felt with other Ghibli films, and I don't mean that just because the story is deeply rooted in reality, rather than the fantastical which punctuates many of the other Ghibli films of this era.

I've wrote something about the film before, but I don't think it was very substantial. I might need to watch it again. My opinion hardly ever changes when I think a film is average mind you.

Reviews

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
If I get on of the two right the streak continues.

Its hard to get a true feel on what's next. Dumbo and Fantastic Planet I could just tell were coming.

My prediction currently is Snow White and How to Train your dragon, but I may change my mind.

Lord High Filmquisitor
I just saw Ghost in the Shell for the dirst time the other week and was blown away by it (even if its characters / narrative weren't as well developed as its plot).

Fantastic Planet looks really interesting. I'll have to check it out.

You know, I put a Japanese anime (or whatever it is) on my own list. I wonder if it's gonna show up. It probably will.......

The quality of this top 50 looks like way above the 50 movies that came before.
Yeah, especially way above that number 68.

You know, I put a Japanese anime (or whatever it is) on my own list.
I still haven't scraped my jaw off the floor over that one.

I still haven't scraped my jaw off the floor over that one.
Yeah, would you please pick that damn thing up already? I tripped over it earlier - about had to go to the hospital.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	jaw.PNG
Views:	1542
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	19052  

I just saw Ghost in the Shell for the dirst time the other week and was blown away by it (even if its characters / narrative weren't as well developed as its plot).
Indeed. It's a masterpiece and one of the best science fiction films ever made.

Fantastic Planet looks really interesting. I'll have to check it out.
It's a great film. I also loved Gandahar and Time Masters from the same director. All complex serious stuff though lacking in characterization/drama overall, more intellectual films (as typical of French arthouse stuff).

I had Ghost in the Shell at Number ONE. Pretty much my favorite animated film ever. Cliche these days, perhaps, but i was there right at release, and when it first hit, everyone was talking about it. Well, people that liked animation, anyway. I also really like A Scanner Darkly a whole lot, saw it multiple times in the theater, and still pop it in from time to time these days. I had A Scanner Darkly at number FIVE.
From someone who had Blade Runner on top of your favorite films list, Ghost in the Shell probably also would be on top of your favorite animated films list. Both masterpieces of the same genre dealing with the same themes.

Whisper of the Heart was my #7. It's simply a masterpiece, beautiful, inventive, great music.
Whisper of the Heart is a masterpiece but a subtle one. It's great because it's extremely sophisticated animation manages to capture the subtleties of reality and make it more tacticle than in live action film. A Japanese film critic said that in an interview of Miyazaki, basically making some boring slice of life* magical. Slice of life fiction is not as popular among western fans of Japanese culture as it is among the Japanese for obvious reasons.

*Slice of life is a normal genre in Japanese fiction, Ozu, Naruse worked in the genre in the 1950's, and it's extremely common on manga as well.

44. Perfect Blue - Voting Stats

Total Points: 140
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
10 Votes: 1st Place (25 pts.), Two 3rd Place (23 pts. each), 4th Place (22 pts.), 12th Place (14 pts.), Two 16th Place (10 pts. each), 17th Place (9 pts.), 23rd Place (3 pts.), 25th Place (1 pt.)

43. Porco Rosso - Voting Stats

Total Points: 144
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
11 Votes: 4th Place (22 pts.), 6th Place (20 pts.), 8th Place (18 pts.), 9th Place (17 pts.), 10th Place (16 pts.), 13th Place (13 pts.), Four 18th Place (8 pts. each), 20th Place (6 pts.)

A system of cells interlinked
Perfect Blue!

I had Perfect Blue at number THREE on my list. At this point in time, I may actually enjoy watching Perfect Blue over both my number one and number two films, but I don't think it's a better film than either Ghost in the Shell (my number one) or the yet to be revealed film I have at number two. Regardless, Perfect Blue is awesome. Dark, unsettling, and it uses dream logic in a way that would be copied by Arronofsky for his Black Swan film. Sadly, Arronofsky straight out lifts a couple of scenes from Perfect Blue, copying them shot for shot. It's also sort of Lynchian with its girl-in-trouble premise, which I of course like. See this flick!

EDIT: Doing a bit of research, I see that Arronofsky bought the rights to Perfect Blue so he could lift scenes from it. That's...kind of sketchy.